ireland 10 day trip report

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well we’ve been back since last tuesday and this is the first time I’ve had a chance to even look at my digital pictures and even think about the trip.

We really had a great time. I have to say thank you again for all of the great stuff I read on this site before we went. Terrific advice here. I will never take a trip out of the country without coming to fodors first. What follows is a part of a trip report. (I still need to eat dinner tonight)

The day we arrived, 17th, it was pouring, we were exhausted, thankfully my husband slept a couple hours on the plane as he was driving. Not the best weather but can’t say it wasn’t expected. We came out of the city no problem. My husband did great with the other side an all. Headed towards kilkenney. Stopped at the national stud farm & Japanese gardens. The son was too tired to get out, he slept in the car. Quite frankly knowing how cranky he gets we didn’t mind. Even in the rain the gardens were beautiful and so were the horses. Hopefully I’ll figure a way to get the pictures to a website. Some of them really came out great, and those are only the digital (350+ of those and 12 rolls of film!). left there and wanted to stop at the high crosses in Castledermot but somehow missed the way and in the pouring rain and as tired as we were kept going. Tried to go to Dunmore Caves but they were closed for maintenance. Finished the drive to kilkenney and found our B&B. Wonderful owners, when we asked where to have a late lunch they not only directed us to a place but called to make sure they weren’t full. Then when they heard we weren’t going to drive the distance (10 min walk) they wanted to drive us since it was raining. We didn’t want them to do that and thankfully when we came down to leave they were occupied elsewhere. But it was a nice thought. After lunch went to kilkenney castle. I wish we weren’t so tired we probably would’ve appreciated it more. We went to the design center after, our son did his first disappearing act, just back to the B&B, still too tired. Took a couple of hours to nap and got up for dinner. Good dinner and then out for a bit. Knew we shouldn’t sleep yet. What we found was a little raucous but fun – apparently there had been a good sporting event that day (never did find out what) that had the majority of the crowd (young) in “good spirits”. Had a nice eveing conversing with a gentleman who mistook me for someone else at first – and my husband made a friend when he returned a couple of forgotten shots to a 20-something that had forgotten he asked me to “mind” them.

Already seeing that we had set too much of fast paced schedule (as we were told by people here) we reluctantly left in the morning. Staring a new list of all the places we want to spend a few days in next time. We headed to the Rock of Cashel Monday morning. Noticed you just don’t get moving as early in the morning as you’d like – a trend that continued throught the whole trip – that breakfast thing just slows you down. Really not used to that at home – I’m out of the house by six and only want coffee before I leave. Loved Cashel – this is why my son wanted to come – ruins & castles & more ruins. By the way, the weather had mostly cleared and just showers occasionally now. Also, loved Cahir Castle and even Blarney. Quite a distance for the day but as the trip was planned for my son’s senior year, at his request, the castles were what he wanted. We really enjoyed walking the grounds at blarney. Teenagers aren’t always easy to please but this day seemed to do it. No one was trying to teach him anything, he just got to roam and we enjoyed seeing it. Finally made it to our B&B in killarney– about 7. It was fine and we headed out for dinner. My son was tired by then and didn’t want to stay out. He headed back. We did have a small problem that evening, we had one room that night, alternated between two & one all trip, and hadn’t thought to get an extra key. He got back in ok but then couldn’t sleep came out looking for us, didn’t find us but couldn’t get back in again. Didn’t make that mistake again – two keys no matter what. He really only waited about 20 minutes but I’m sure it felt a lot longer. We found a great, very crowded, pub with enjoyable music playing. The best part however was at the end when they were all just fooling around, different ones playing different instruments etc and they all started asking the bartender to sing. He sang a beautiful song acapella (sp?). I was so glad we were still there. His voice was wonderful. It was a wonderful ending to a wonderful day, until of course we found our son outside - but things happen.

Headed out the next morning towards dingle. We didn’t follow what viamichelin wanted us to. Stayed more along the coast and I’m so glad we did. My son was taking pictures all day through the car window. Everything was just beautiful. Stopped at the beach in inch. A little chilly but just gorgeous. I think I’ll be saying that a lot throughout the report! Took our time driving and enjoying the sites. Tried to go to Minard Castle, found it quite by accident – thank goodness my husband was driving, he actually has a sense of direction unlike me – the lack of street signs was already making me nuts. The castle was posted so we couldn’t really investigate but half the fun was finding it. Finally arrived in dingle about 2 – found the B&B without too much trouble (third trip off the roundabout) were amazed to find out later that not only did the owner live in boston for 11 years but actually knew where our rinky dink little town was south of the city and had been there! You have to understand no one knows where it is half the time – not even people that live in MA. We left to drive the peninsula. The drive was incredible. I don’t think I’ve mentioned yet about the driving – soooo fast for these roads. I’m so glad we got the extra insurance to cover the deductible – my whole side of the car was scratches but we didn’t lose a mirror! Had to ford a bit of a river at one point, thought we were going to lose the muffler but it just made a bit of noise after. Things got a little testy in the car for a bit, directions and all but for our family fairly normal. It smoothed out and we started seeing the sites. I loved the peninsula – I think I covered about 5 pages in the journal I kept. Finding Kilmakader church after we went to Gallarus oratory was a bit of a struggle. We had given up and were heading home – saw signs pointing at each other for the church – when we came around a corner and there it was. Another great day. We ended with dinner, not at the b&b’s suggested place, turns out 10 min is ½ hr and they didn’t serve mon-wed anyways and then out for a little while. Found a place with nice music and had a great time talking to a mother & daughter from Syracuse there for a family gathering.

Wow, only three days covered – I’ve got to eat I’ll try to finish soon.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:58 AM

Sounds like you had a great trip. Can you tell us which B&B's you stayed in, and how you rate them? It might provide some useful information for those who will be traveling to Ireland this Summer.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 04:54 AM

www.webshots.com offers free online posting of pics, even 350+ of them, in your own gallery
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:29 AM

Looking forward to hearing more! What kind of car were you driving?

My husband said a manual was fine and that's what I rented, but now he is thinking automatic would be easier. Unfortunately, the type we rented only comes as a manaul (renault laguna-- small wagon), so I'm not sure whether to change to a sedan. there's four of us (two teens) going in June.

He drives an automatic at home but drove a stick (on the left side) in the British virgin islands a few years ago with no problems. I found the driving very scary on that trip, however, even as a passenger. The islanders drove like lunatics, very fast.
Old May 4th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

budman - we did have a great trip (i'll try to keep the rest of the days a little shorter - didn't realize how carried away I was getting) - as for B&B's
Kilkenny - Carriglea - very nice owners, right down the street from Kilkenny Castle. rooms were good. definitely wouldn't have a problem staying there again.
Killarney - Noraville - ok - the owner was nice enough but just seemed a little off, not bad, just different probably would pick somewhere else,
Dingle - Tower View - very nice house, very nice owner (of course she knew boston and our little town so we're a little prejudiced) but wasn't a long walk to town which was important to us. would stay there again without a problem.
Doolin - Daly's house - just up the street from gus o'connors. really really liked her (Susan Daly) and the family room with separate bedrooms was great for us. definitely a stay again site. She actually had two houses next door to each other.
Galway -Adare Guesthouse - didn't care for it or the owner much. very impersonal but a close walk. not really bad just not our style.
Ballinglough - (visting family) they booked us into The white house hotel. It was a very nice place to stay for what we were there for. only saw my family so couldn't say anything else about the town.
Dublin - another hotel - George Fredric Handel - it was a hotel ok but wouldn't stay again.
Malinhide - last night, picked only for it's closeness to the airport. can't even remember the name at the moment fine but that's it.

Greendragon - I'll check out the webshots (someone mentioned it at work today also). some of the pictures are simply beautiful. so i would like to share.

bucky - we were driving a ford focus - smaller than we thought we were getting, we actually thought we were getting more of what you're mentioning. it was automatic however my husband had no problem with the other side of the road and really thought the manual would've been fine also. really, who didn't learn how to shift from the passenger side at some point in their younger years. the focus fit us, but just barely for the luggage. we don't pack well though. i think four in the car would've been tough - but my son although a teenager is bigger than his father and sharing the back seat would've led to territory problems i think.

I'm going to try for a little more of the actual trip tonight but i'm not sure i'll get it in. but i did want to respond to the questions etc. still catching up in all aspects of life so it's a little hectic.
Old May 4th, 2005, 03:57 PM

Thanks for posting, I'm always happy to hear from someone else who enjoyed their trip to Ireland! Rest up so you can finish the tale!
Old May 4th, 2005, 05:11 PM

pbjhhunt,we probably passed each other in the arrivals hall at SNN.I flew in from EWR that morning on a connecting flight from SFO.I then headed up to Doolin that morning in a driving rain that luckly cleared by that afternoon.

I finished up in Dublin on the 27th,after staying in Doolin,Dingle,Kenmare,Kinsale,and Cashel.
Glad you had a good trip.
Old May 5th, 2005, 02:02 PM

Glad that you enjoyed your trip AND that you came back here, to let us know about it.
Would love to see your pictures.