Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   IRA I have a question for you!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ira-i-have-a-question-for-you-376718/)

wren Nov 16th, 2003 02:26 PM

IRA I have a question for you!!

Hi Ira, I took your advice and faxed Hotel Bonaparte about a room. The response quoted me a rate of 147 Euro/nite. I was disappointed since that is quite a bit more than you had said. Is it because it is for June, or do you think they have increased their prices? I was also wondering if it is b/c they are offering me a deluxe room. I faxed them back asking if they had anything for less, but haven't heard back yet.

ira Nov 16th, 2003 02:32 PM

Hi Wren,

That happened to me too, last time I faxed them. It depends on who is on the desk. I am pretty sure that you were given their delux room rate.

The standard rooms are nice. Double bed, mini fridge, table for breakfast, full bath, armoir, and you can swing a cat without it hitting the walls.

I did the same thing you did, asking for a lower rate and was then quoted 115E for a double for April.

June rates might be higher since it is the high season.

If they can meet your price, I'm sure that you will enjoy your stay there.

wren Nov 16th, 2003 02:35 PM

I am counting on your "rec". I will throw your name around if I end up there! I am sure our wish will be their command when they hear of the important person who recommended us!

wren Nov 16th, 2003 02:35 PM

PS the pressure is on, huh?

ira Nov 16th, 2003 02:42 PM

Hi wren,

We first stayed at the Bonaparte in 1984, when Madame was but a newlywed.

At that time the elevator was surrounded by a brass filigree cage ala "Charade", only nicer. Unfortunatley it had to be renovated to meet the modern code.

wren Nov 16th, 2003 03:05 PM

I have read your posts about the hotel, and it sounds like just what we want. Last summer we went into St. Sulpice, ate lunch at a cafe nearby, and shopped at the antique books market outside on Sunday. We want someplace that is convenient, nice, but that isn't outrageous, costwise, since we leave mid-morning and return after dark. That place sounds like it fulfills all of our qualifications. If we stay there, do they know you as Ira if I mention you?

ira Nov 16th, 2003 03:20 PM

Hi Wren,

My guess is that they will nod politely, say "Oh yes, Ira" and treat you in the same polite, professional way that they treat everyone else.

After all, I can remember all of my visits to Paris, but they can't remember all of the people who visit Paris. (It's not like we take the Presidential Suite when we visit.)

PS, keep in mind that Pierre Herme is across the street and Laduree is about 2 blocks to the right, if you like pastry.

There are lots of restaurants on Rue Guisarde, around the corner. See
www.multimap.com.

wren Nov 16th, 2003 03:24 PM

Sounds wonderful to me.

ira Nov 16th, 2003 03:32 PM

Wren,

We have to stop meeting like this. My wife is getting suspicious. :)

Somewhere between the hotel and the Luxembourg gardens is a bakery that won the "best croissant in Paris" competition in 2000. Unfortunately, I didn't write down the name or location.

Actually, croissants have changed quite a lot since we first visited Paris. They used to be smaller and chewier and more buttery.

wren Nov 16th, 2003 03:46 PM

The American influence, I guess.

I will write down the name of that boulangerie and get back to you. All this is presuming that they come back with a little better rate. With the $$$ down, it makes a difference.

AAFrequentFlyer Nov 16th, 2003 04:03 PM

I actually thought that this post was directed at the Irish Republican Army
:-D :-D :-D

Calamari Nov 16th, 2003 05:39 PM

Ok Ok if it is that great I will have to try it out with the family next summer. Ira, do you think they have a room big enough for four?

ira Nov 17th, 2003 04:46 AM

Hi calamari,

They have a triple that might be suitable, but I suggest that you FAX them FAX 33 (0)1 46 33 57 67

ira Nov 17th, 2003 05:11 AM

Hi colin,

I don't know. I didn't suggest that they would. Except that my wife and I were one of their first customers, many years ago and we have been going back.

francophile03 Nov 17th, 2003 05:45 AM

Did the madame say why they don't have an email address?

If it's because they feel they have enough business already then they can always ignore the emails like some of the other hotels do.

It would be easier to send and receive an email than a fax but it's my opinion only.

Betsy Nov 17th, 2003 05:52 AM

AA, I thought this post was about retirement accounts!

Godfrey26a Nov 17th, 2003 05:54 AM

It is is'nt it !

Michael Nov 17th, 2003 09:22 AM

Google Paris Tourist Information, and you will get to the web site which gives you a listing of all hotels in Paris. According to the site, the price quoted is far higher than the range listed.

ira Nov 17th, 2003 09:45 AM

Hi Michael,

Yes, that's what I told Wren. You will also find other reviews at http://www.tripadvisor.com/

Jayne11159 Nov 17th, 2003 09:55 AM

Olive Oyl

Where have you been? Send me a catch-up email!

Jayne aka Sal