Ira, Hotel Schwendi question for you!

Oct 20th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Ira, Hotel Schwendi question for you!

You recommended Hotel Schwendi, and they have a room for 4 for 123e! They want a deposit of 62e. Did you see what part of the hotel this room may be in? Any questions that you could think of that I should ask them about the room location?

I LOVE the looks of Kientzheim aka Kayserberg (?). I also saw this hotel: Hotel Les Remparts http://www.lesremparts.com/en/accueil_en.html
Did you see this one as well? Could we situate ourselves in this city easily without a car? It looks like there's a train from Colmar.

Oct 21st, 2007, 10:08 AM
ira

Hi A,

>they have a room for 4 for 123e...

Take it, and ask questions later.

They now have the original hotel and an annex across the square - former smithy, I think.

I expect that you will be in the original buildng. I don't recall anything but doubles in the new part.

The hotel restaurant is very good. The family's wines are very, very good.

If you buy a bottle and take it to your room, you get the wine shop rate - about 7E. If you have it brought to you on the square or in the resto, it is about 25E.

Kientzheim and Kaysersberg are separate towns.

Check Les Remparts at www.tripadvisor.com. We considered it, but I don't recall why we chose the Schwendi.

Are you sure about trains to Kaysersberg? I know that there is bus service.

I do suggest a car for visiting Alsace. Most of its beauty is found in small towns in the midst of the vineyards and up in the mountains.

We spent only a few days there last May, but we will be going back for a week in 2008.

Enjoy your visit.

Oct 21st, 2007, 10:11 AM
ira

PS,

A car is especially useful if you wish to see storks.

Oct 21st, 2007, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Ira. I see now how the two cities are nearby and also that there is no train service. Hmmm, I looked at car rental at ada.fr, and it's about 150e for the car just for 3 days. Unless I can find something much cheaper, we may need to stick with trains and buses. I see that it will be somewhat inconvenient to base at Hotel Schwendi without a car (but I still like it so will have to look more into bus service). I was also considering the B&B Chez Leslie outside of Colmar.

Oct 21st, 2007, 04:44 PM

I have lived in the area for two periods, one of four months and the other for two, in a gite in the Vosges above Kaysersberg in a village called Orbey. Kaysersberg was the 'shopping centre', and Colmar the nearest city.
1* You are correct that there is no train service to Kaysersberg.
2* The bus service is quite infrequent and generally inconvenient.
3* In order to easily visit places like Riquewihr, Ribeauville, Equisheim, Zellenberg, Turckheim, all worth a visit, you will need a car.
4* There are usually at least six active stork's nests on top of the Town Hall in Munster. There are often a couple in Kaysersberg.
Oct 21st, 2007, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, adeben, that was very helpful. If anyone has any car rental recommendations for this area that would be less than 50e per day, I'd appreciate hearing from you.
Oct 21st, 2007, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Ok, I just need to look a little harder. I already found 3 days with AVIS at $165 total.
Oct 22nd, 2007, 04:35 AM
ira

Hi A,

Go to www.gemut.com and www.autoeurope.com.

They guarantee the lowest rates.

Call them, don't use the website.

Oct 23rd, 2007, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Hi Ira, I'll check about the car - thank you. The family room at the hotel is #28, and I see on their website that it's in the new annex. Was this where you stayed - did the annex have a/c? I've read many reports of summer heat in that area.
Oct 24th, 2007, 07:09 AM
ira

Hi A,

I have a vague recollection of a thermostat in our room with AC, but I suggest asking the hotel.

BTW, you can walk through the vineyards from Kientzheim to Riquewihr in under an hour.

Oct 24th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

I am absolutely looking forward to the walks between villages. It's #1 on my list, along with the vin.

Does this make any sense at all? I'm thinking to split up 4 nights between Hotel Schwendi and another hotel in Colmar. After our stay in Paris, we could take the train to Colmar. Since the train is covenient from there, we would visit both Freiburg and Basel on separate days, enjoying Colmar in the evenings. Then rent a car for a few days for exploring wine country (and relocating to beautiful Kientzheim).

Although the kids will enjoy that we've slipped into Germany (have to do) and Switzerland (been there last trip), now I'm not sure that it's worth 2 days of our travel.

That's as far as I've gotten. We'll still have 4 more nights, then we'll be circling back to Paris, either through the Loire Valley or Burgundy. Of course, plenty of questions yet to come on those areas
Oct 24th, 2007, 01:43 PM
ira

Hi A,

If you are going to rent a car anyway, I suggest staying in Kientzheim the entire time.

Can you do better than 123E for a quad?

The hotel resto is very good.

>we would visit both Freiburg and Basel on separate days, ....
Is that Fribourg in CH or Freiburg im Breisgau in Germany?

You could also visit Baden Baden via the Schwarzwalder Hochstrasse.

You have now used up 3 of your 4 days in Alsace.

May I suggest taking the TGVEst to Strasbourg and picking up the car there?

>We'll still have 4 more nights,...

I don't think that www.myhomeindijon.com can accomodate you, but I suggest that you ask Coco.

Otherwise, I can highly recommend www.hotel-grillon.fr in Beaune.

You can drop the car in Dijon or Beaune and take the train to Paris from there.

PS don't miss having some www.marga.org/food/int/alsace/tarte.html
Oct 24th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Yes, it's Freiburg, Germany. That's a definite day trip.

All of the quads that I've looked at are in the same range of 123e, it's definitely cheaper than 2 doubles. Another plus at Hotel Schwendi is that there are 2 separate bedrooms, and your recommendation there makes it quite convincing!

I had thought of using this b&b in Colmar:
http://perso.calixo.net/~vmuhlenl/uk/cl2.htm#shoe

The Shoe Room looked very fun and is very reasonably priced. Apparently about a 15 min. walk to the downtown area, which is fine.