Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Iphone 4 on Verizon 3G while in Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/iphone-4-on-verizon-3g-while-in-europe-894910/)

cblairtx1 Jun 14th, 2011 10:17 AM

Iphone 4 on Verizon 3G while in Europe

Is it true that Verizon Iphone 4 users can't use their phones in Europe? I just got off the phone with verizon and I am praying that the person I talked to is just an idiot who has no idea what he is talking about because it seems kind of silly that I can't use my phone at all there.

Any iphone 4 users on the verizon network with input or advice?

Thanks so much!

Doh Jun 14th, 2011 10:46 AM

Verizon uses CDMA technology, not GSM, and European mobile phones almost all use GSM. Here's a wikipedia link if you want to compare-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...work_operators.

You could still bring it and use it on wifi networks, which is the most sensible way to use a US iphone in Europe anyway.

greg Jun 14th, 2011 10:58 AM

I have Verizon and I looked into this. The answer is no, but there is more to it.

The Verizon iPhone 4 uses Qualcomm MDM6600 chip capable of doing CDMA and GSM; however, Apple failed to provide a SIM card slot, so from the hardware point of view alone it is useless for GSM.

lindy27 Jun 14th, 2011 10:58 AM

The Verizon rep was correct. Verizon phones do not work in Europe. Even if they did, the fees (especially for data) would probably keep you from using it.

CarolA Jun 14th, 2011 11:06 AM

This is the main reason I chose not to change from AT&T to Verizon. I wanted to be able to make and receive emergency calls etc on my phone.

jent103 Jun 14th, 2011 12:06 PM

Maybe silly, but true. There are rumors that Apple will be putting out an iPhone that's both GSM and CDMA-capable sometime in the next year, which would thrill Verizon customers (including me). But right now those are just rumors.

Your iPhone WILL work as an iPod Touch would, if you have wifi where you'll be staying. So you can at least use it for email and that sort of thing at the hotel. You may want to call Verizon again, though, and make sure you don't need to turn off any data roaming features or anything, just in case.

If you really need a phone, there are lots of threads here about buying unlocked basic phones and SIM cards. Or Verizon will rent you a world phone (I think a Blackberry).

cblairtx1 Jun 14th, 2011 03:35 PM

I have my old blackberry storm and that is what I used during my last trip to Europe. Wonder if Verizon will activate that for me?

Thanks so much!

theflock Jun 14th, 2011 07:55 PM

I bought a Verizon Droid 2 Global phone this year to use in Europe. Please don't tell me ALL Verizon phones don't work in Europe -- I'll be really upset!

Hez Jun 14th, 2011 08:03 PM

The Droid 2 Global will work in Europe - hence the "global" in the title. It is a dual band phone (GSM & CDMA). My husband has one specifically for traveling overseas (has used in Australia, Asia, Europe, South Africa) so not to worry.

jent103 Jun 14th, 2011 08:05 PM

theflock, I actually just looked at the Verizon site to check out the Blackberry rental option (by the way, cblair, I *think* it has to be a specific Blackberry, but I'm no expert). It looks like the Droid Incredible 2 does have GSM and CDMA capabilities - that's the first non-rental GSM option that I've heard of from Verizon. I'd love to hear how you like it, both in general and for international use.

jent103 Jun 14th, 2011 08:17 PM

Oops, Hez, I was posting at the same time you were. That's good to know! Does your husband like it? I'm due for an upgrade in the fall and am leaning toward the iPhone, but haven't committed. :)

Hez Jun 14th, 2011 08:29 PM

He likes it ok, but actually uses his Droid X while in the states which he likes more. My sister also has the Droid 2 Global and loves it, but for her the keyboard was more important than the screen size. I'm hoping the Droid X is released in a global version but for then I'm sticking with my Droid 1.0

cblairtx1 Jun 15th, 2011 09:48 AM

Thanks again everyone! I guess I'll be taking both iphone (wifi) and blackberry (phone calls)

Doh Jun 15th, 2011 10:11 AM

If you want a phone just for calls you might consider buying a cheap GSM phone and then picking up a SIM card in Europe. Depending on how much calling you will do it may well be cheaper than roaming on VZ.

djkbooks Jun 15th, 2011 10:31 AM

It is not true that no Verizon phones will work in Europe. My husband has a Blackberry GSM. He did have to call Verizon and get it unlocked (rather than pay Verizon's outrageous rates)so he could use a local SIM.

I finally bought a GSM version of the phone I had with Verizon (on EBay) and switched to T-Mobile pay as you go SIM. At home, I make/receive very few calls and don't need web access on a cell phone. When going to Europe, I get a local SIM.

Verizon does have a fairly economical loan option for a GSM phone.

theflock Jun 15th, 2011 07:38 PM

jent103, I've enjoyed the Droid 2 Global (my first smart phone). The only complaints I have are that if you're playing games or using apps, it discharges the battery very quickly; and the phone is very heavy because of the slide-out keyboard (which I never use).

jent103 Jun 16th, 2011 07:46 AM

Hez and theflock, thanks so much for the phone reviews! I have an iPod Touch, so I'm familiar with iOS already, and have some friends who have issues with the Droid OS's stability. So I'm leaning a bit toward an iPhone. But I'd love to be able to use my phone overseas (not that I go very often). I really just need to go to a Verizon store and check them out!

Rumseydog Jun 16th, 2011 09:04 AM

Just a few words on the AT&T iPhone, which I used on my last 2 trips to Europe (England and France). The AT&T iPhone is compatible with GSM networks in Europe, but the AT&T International calling plans are $$$ (between 99 cents to $1.29 per minute). We didn't have any network connection problems, but just didn't use the phone to make calls very often due to cost. WiFi worked very well when available, so connecting to e-mail and other Internet apps was a breeze. AT&T does warn you to disable 3G roaming when overseas, as these charges can add up to several thousand $$$ if you're unaware.

izzofan Jun 16th, 2011 01:47 PM

hope this helps:
you can call Verizon and RENT a phone from them which works in Italy very inexpensively. they mail it to you before your trip and then you just mail back. this worked great for us a few years ago and we are going to do again. Be sure you get inexpensive Plan for Data or your roaming charges will be insane

bookreader19 Jul 9th, 2011 05:29 AM

If what the above posts say is true and about only being able to use the wireless service, then a good solution would be to use Google Talk to make calls. The calls are rather inexpensive and you can do this over a wireless network.