COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

iPad Cellular in Croatia-Slovenia-Italy

Old Apr 8th, 2014, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

iPad Cellular in Croatia-Slovenia-Italy

We used an iPad 2 years ago when traveling in Italy and it was great. Bought the SIMM Card there (it was called a TIMM) and it was very helpful when navigating, finding hotels, etc. We will be traveling for 9 days this July in Croatia (arriving ZAG), Slovenia, and one day in Italy -- just across the Slovenia border. The TIMM card stopped working last time when we went across the border into Austria.
Is there a card that will work in all 3 countries? If so, where would I get it?
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 07:51 AM

Look into Toggle.

In-depth discussion about Toggle here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...id-sims-7.html
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 11:05 AM

You'll be able to buy a SIM card in Croatia, but you'll be charged for roaming in Slovenia and Italy, that's why your TIM SIM card didn't work in Austria, either you had roaming disabled on your iPad or it was disabled by TIM by default, although both can be changed in the settings or by contacting the operator respectively.

To avoid roaming charges you wouldhave to buy two SIM cards, one in Croatia and one in Slovenia, if you won't stray too far from the border in Italy, you should still have Slovenian cell coverage there. However roaming nowadays isn't that expensive, if you won't be using a lot of data it may be easier and cheaper to just roam on one SIM card, check the European roaming fees here: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...s/index_en.htm
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 03:38 AM

TIM has had very reasonable roaming rates in Europe (but also in the US) for more than the last two years, so roaming must have been disabled on the tablet.

I don't know anything about Croatian SIM cards, but I haven't got a new SIM card when traveling for some time now; the roaming rates are reasonable and it's convenient to be able to keep the same number when traveling.
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 03:40 AM

Recent legislation has brought roaming fees down but you should still read the fine print to see what they are for your particular SIM.
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 11:11 AM

The link I posted lists the maximum prices (without value-added tax, which is around 20%) operators in the EU are allowed to charge for roaming elsewhere in the EU, including how the minutes/megabytes are charged.
Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. That's very helpful.