Ionion Coast - Puglia, Italy

Oct 27th, 2002, 02:52 PM
Sally

Ionion Coast - Puglia, Italy

We will be in Italy 3-4 weeks in the Summer 2003. We are using timeshares through RCI. I have just learned that there is a week available at a resort named "Torre Inserraglio-I Tramonti" in Puglia, on the Ionion coast between the town of Gallipoli and Porto Cesareo. Is anyone familiar with the resort or the area? I need to confirm or reject by tomorrow ! I'd appreciate some help !! Thank you.

Oct 27th, 2002, 04:28 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

I do not know the resort but I do know the area. We stayed in Porto Cesaro in 2000. See my trip report at www.slowtrav.com under " spring 2000" and the title " navigating with Bob & Ed in southern Italy" Very authentic off-the-path locale.

Oct 28th, 2002, 05:40 AM
Sally

Thanks, Bob, enjoyed your report. We were in Southern Italy (Palinuro), in 1997 and loved the area...maybe we should take a chance. How far is this area (by car) from the town Reggio di Calabria ?

Oct 28th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Patrick

I followed some of Bob's report this past summer. Had tried to stay at his little island hotel in Porto Cesareo, but it was fully booked months ahead. We enjoyed a day at Gallipoli and a wonderful lunch on the ramparts there. Drove the entire coast of the "heel of Italy". I was surprised how easy the distances were, although the beach roads were very crowded. Unfortunately we were there in mid August when practically every Italian is on vacation at the beach.

We crossed from Sicily on the ferry and spent a night at Altomonte at a wonderful small hotel restaurant, Barbieri, then two nights at the fascinating town of Matera with all its Unesco cave dwellings. Spent three nights at Lecce as a base out to other towns. I don't know about your resort, but the area is very interesting. Hopefully you are going in June or July when it won't be so crowded as August. After that we spent three nights at Polignano di Mare on then Adriatic, just below Bari -- the highlight of our trip and a perfect base for all the attractions of that area. I did a trip report "Heel and Toe of Italy".

Oct 28th, 2002, 06:48 AM
Sally

We are going the end of June. Where is your trip report posted? Tried to find it on Fodors and slowtrav but couldn't. Perhaps I was looking in the wrong place. Thabks for the information.

Oct 28th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Patrick

I have topped my "Patrick's trip report part 6 -- Heel and toe". I can never understand how the search function works. I couldn't find it either from any of the parts of the title, but finally got it by typing in Polignano.

Oct 28th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Sally

Thanks Patrick, I found your great report. Certainly sounds like a place worth visiting. You've been a big help.

Oct 29th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Sally

Another question....I want to make a quick visit (a day or 2) to the town of Reggio di Calabria. I understand that there is not much there, but it is where my father grew up and I would like to see it. What is the most direct route (and safest) from Reggio to the Ionian Coast? How long would it take? Thanks again.

Jul 11th, 2003, 07:31 AM

Sally - my sister wants to use a timeshare week at this same RCI property. Did you stay here? Can you let us know your thoughts on the property? Thanks!