Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Intl. Driving Permit - France (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/intl-driving-permit-france-741225/)

flymetothemoon Oct 6th, 2007 09:16 PM

Intl. Driving Permit - France

Is it necessary to get an International Driving Permit to rent a car in France?

janisj Oct 6th, 2007 09:20 PM

No, not required for France - but IDPs only cost $15 so not a big deal to get one.

flymetothemoon Oct 6th, 2007 09:31 PM

Thanks janisj. You're right, the $15 isn't a big deal but from what I can tell you have to apply for it online or through the mail. We are leaving in 19 days and I'm not sure we could get the permit in time.

LoveItaly Oct 6th, 2007 09:34 PM

Hi fly, do you have an AAA somewhere in your area? If so you can get the IDP through that office. You can even get them to take the photos. You do not need to be a member of AAA to obtain your IDP.

flymetothemoon Oct 6th, 2007 09:38 PM

Good timing, LoveItaly. I just read that you can get the permit at a local AAA office. Now if I only knew where that was! Will check their website.

Also just read on Dollar Rent a Car's rental details that "License must be accompanied by an international drivers permit." I guess it's better safe than sorry.

TPAYT Oct 8th, 2007 01:13 PM

We've driven in France on 5 different trips and never needed an International Permit.

StCirq Oct 8th, 2007 01:40 PM

You are not required by law to have and IDP in France. It's possible you might run into a situation where it could be useful, though, as it's basically an official translation of your own license - if you happened to get stopped by non-English-speaking officers, they'd appreciate you having it.

Not having "needed" one on 5 trips or 500 trips to France is irrelevant to whether it's required by law or not. People post here all the time saying they've driven all over Italy, for example, for years without "needing" an IDP. Fact is, they're just lucky not to have been caught...yet.

NeoPatrick Oct 20th, 2007 12:23 PM

Yes, that "didn't need one" is so silly generally (although in this case it is true that you don't need an IDP in France). If you don't have an accident at all during 5 trips would you say "We've taken five trips and we didn't need any insurance coverage at all"?

CRAZY4TRAVEL Oct 20th, 2007 01:08 PM

It is not legally required but recommended. The Auto Europe states the following:

Our rental packages are available to anyone age 21 or older(3); there is no upper age limit. A valid driver's license is sufficient for all car rentals; although we recommend that you consider acquiring an International Driving Permit or IDP(4), it is not a requirement for our rental agreements.

The IDP is an internationally accepted document that will quickly identify you to foreign officials and expedite all matters pertaining to driving while you are overseas. It also serves as an additional form of identification, valid in 130 countries. Available at all AAA offices, the cost for an IDP is $10. Two passport photos and a valid driver's license are needed to receive an IDP.

The rental company will not ask you if you have one but if you feel more secure it's a small price to pay.

tomboy Oct 20th, 2007 07:42 PM

We were stopped by gendarmes in September. Showed them my Michigan license, no IDP. They never requested IDP. They let us go

kerouac Oct 20th, 2007 09:27 PM

Foreign licenses are accepted in France. The police have been to school, you know.

Dukey Oct 21st, 2007 01:37 AM

There was a recent report of a tourist who was stopped by the police in France and they asked him for an IDP which he didn't have.

He was immediately told he could not drive the car and was stuck there for some time.

I am sorry I do not have the link to the story handy.

We have rented cars in France on numerous occasions and never been asked for an IDP by the rental folks.

Regardless of whether or not the police have "been to school" for the small amount of money an IDP costs you might consider taking the time to get one

<b>OR&lt;</b>

Dukey Oct 21st, 2007 01:37 AM

when you arrive in France, call schoolmaster Kerouac and have him drive you everywhere!

kerouac Oct 21st, 2007 03:02 AM

The French embassy in the US says this on its website:

&lt;&lt;You may drive with a valid U.S. driver's license. In addition to that, it is recommended (not required) to carry an International Driving Permit or attach a French translation to your US driver's license. Also, you are to be at least 18 years old to drive in France.&gt;&gt;

Viajero2 Oct 21st, 2007 03:46 AM

There has been so much discussion about this already posted--- always a popular topic. If you browse those past threads you will be able to read about many people who never had one and people who never leave for Europe without it. I am on the last group and for good reasons; we have been stopped by police for various reasons (driving the wrong way in Paris, routine checks in Italy, Amsterdam, and Spain). In every single one of those ocassions we handed over the IDP. Without uttering a word we have been let go without a problem. Whatever it is, it has worked for us. We are AAA Plus members so IDP is free (including pictures!). This is such a no brainer :-O

NeoPatrick Oct 21st, 2007 04:05 AM

Gee, Viajero, what state do AAA Plus members get a free IDP? Here in Florida, the pictures are free but they still charge ($10?) for the IDP&gt;

I agree with all you say though.

Viajero2 Oct 21st, 2007 04:32 AM

The Great State of New York. (AAA Hudson Motor Club)! Passport pictures are free, also.

Zeus Oct 21st, 2007 05:06 AM

I just got an IDP at my local AAA ($33.00 for pictures and permit for non-member) because we plan to be driving in a few of the old Iron Curtain nations. It's the first one I purchased since my first European driving excursion back in 1978. Following the advice of many on this forum, I would rather be safe than sorry making my way through Czech Republic, Hungary and Slovakia.

But all that being said, it is the biggest ripoff scam going!!! All the unique info pertinent to who I am is still in English and only a true mental midget would be unable to decipher my driver's licence number, name, address, state of issuance, etc. I don't see anything about the IDP that makes it more easily decipherable from my regular driver's licence for the local cops. It just looks like a way for AAA to glom a few bucks off dimwits like myself.

Never again. And I can assure you that after 30 years of renting cars overseas that there is absolutely NO NEED for the IDP in Western Europe. Even when I was stopped for driving the wrong way down a one way street in Luebeck, caught speeding near Strasbourg, illegally parked numerous times in Scandanavia and rear-ended in Dijon, there was never a need to have my vital stats translated. Save your money and have a couple of beers instead.

janisj Oct 21st, 2007 05:16 AM

Zeus: &quot;<i>I can assure you that after 30 years of renting cars overseas that there is absolutely NO NEED for the IDP in Western Europe. </i>&quot;

Now that will help someone a LOT when stopped by police in -- oh, say Italy, Austria or Greece where IDPs are legal <u>requirements</u>.

It is fine you haven't needed one and will not get one again. But IMHO - others should, especially in countries where having one is the law . . . . . .

alanRow Oct 21st, 2007 05:52 AM

Zeus none of the countries you mention have a legal requirement for an IDP so having or not having one isn't a problem

Anyhow I can assure you that after 30 years of renting cars overseas that there is absolutely NO NEED for car insurance in Western Europe.