Intl. Driver's License for Italy?

Mar 12th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Intl. Driver's License for Italy?

Does one need an International Driver's License these days to rent and drive a car in Italy?

Thanks for any tips you might have.
Mar 12th, 2005, 03:12 PM

They won't ask for one at the rental counter, but it's required in Italy.
Mar 12th, 2005, 03:28 PM

It is required. But like insurance, you never NEED it unless you have a problem.
Mar 12th, 2005, 05:14 PM
PJK

We just reserved a car for Italy from Sixt and were told that an international license is not necessary. Does that mean we will incur a fine if we have an accident and don't have one? The man spoke excellent English, so I took him at his word. What is the scoop?
Mar 12th, 2005, 05:23 PM

What is the scoop? Well I don't know. All I know is that everytime we rented a car in Italy the rental car agency (Hertz) asked to see the International Driver's License or International Driver's Permit. Seems as though there are two different forms.

You can go to AAA and get whatever you need, whether you are a member or not.

We always did (I did too although I did not personally intend to drive in Italy and never have).

Budman said they have never asked him for one at the rental counter so different experiences for sure. But he said it is required. And Patrick said it is required.

Well if it is required (and that has always been my understanding) why would you not want to get one? It is so easy to obtain. Who needs a legal problem or a hassle to ruin their vacation.
Mar 12th, 2005, 05:34 PM

Actually, there is no such thing as an international driving license EXCEPT the term is used in some countries for a license they will give to their citizens only that is tranlated into some other languages.

You will see websites advertising International Driving Licenses--they are either using the wrong term, or they are frauds.

The International Driving Permit is what you want. Yes, AAA issues it in the USA. There is one other auto club in the USA that is authorized to issue it, but I can't remember the name.
Mar 12th, 2005, 05:43 PM

Ah Rufus, Internation Driving Permit - that is the term.

And is the other auto club that issues these the National Automobile Club by any chance?

In any case, at least in CA, AAA seems to be everywhere, so that is who I would contact to get this permit.
Mar 12th, 2005, 05:44 PM

Uhm, International - must use the the Preview button more often!
Mar 13th, 2005, 10:43 AM
PJK

Regarding "Well if it is required (and that has always been my understanding) why would you not want to get one?"

Seems it costs $25.00 locally to get one which is nothing if I really need it, but it is a few scoups of gellato if I don't. I will get one since you pro's think that is the smart thing to do. Does $25.00 sound about right for the fee? Thanks for responses. PJK

Mar 13th, 2005, 11:06 AM

PJK, the cost for the International Drivers Permit at any AAA in the US is $10, whether you are a member or not. You need to provide 2 passport sized photos as well. If you need to have those taken at AAA, then it will cost you an additional $10 if you are a member, or $15 if not. (So I see where you got the $25). Some AAA memberships also waive the cost of the passport photos.

While we're at it, you don't need any driver's license in the US! Many people drive around all the time without one. Of course, if you get caught you'll wish you had one. There seems to be a major disagreement about the meanings of words like "need" and "required", but I'm not sure why that is.
Mar 13th, 2005, 12:06 PM

According to the experts at slowtrav.com/slowtalk.com, the Italian police have started enforcing the law and ticketing those caught without a IDP.
Mar 13th, 2005, 12:47 PM

PJK--you will only "need" an IDP if a cop or other authority asks you for it.

I haven't "needed" my Maryland driving license since I got a speeding ticket in 1998. But I still carry my Maryland driving license with me and renew it when I get the notice to do so. Just in case.