Internet access

Sep 26th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Internet access

When traveling, I like to keep an eye on my checking and credit card accounts, ever since I discovered fraudulent activity during a Hawaiian trip. I do this by logging into my Credit Union's site. I have a vague memory of not being able to do this from Italy (Where this next trip is going). Does anyone out there have any experience with this?? I have asked the C.U., but so far, no answer.
Sep 26th, 2012, 11:58 AM

I assume you are using your own computer, not a public one in the hotel.

I am not a techie, but sometimes connections from public networks -- especially in hotels and the like -- are very slow, and secure sites reject connections that take too long to tranfer data. This is for your safety, but it can be annoying if you are dependent on being able to get through.

Why are they slow? Sometines too many users for the bandwidth or someone in Room 417 torrenting a movie.
Sep 26th, 2012, 01:18 PM

Your credit union will probably detect from the IP address of the local internet connection that you are in Italy and may ask you some additional questions for security. Of course, any financial institution should use SSL or "https" encryption on any web page where you would submit information like your password, so you should be secure in that case on a foreign internet connection.

When I travel (just got back from Czech Republic and Poland), I take my netbook and connect to my VPN at home in the US. When I do that, I am connected to my home network, so all internet traffic is securely routed through my home internet. Plus, when I connect to financial websites, they think I am still at home so it is much easier to connect. (I can also use any web service that does not work overseas e.g. Google Voice, Hulu, etc.).

The average person probably doesn't know how to setup a VPN ("Virtual Private Network") at home, but it can be done if you are willing to buy/setup the right equipment. Mine cost about $15 total since I knew how to do it; otherwise, it may cost a bit more than that.
Sep 26th, 2012, 01:22 PM

Ackislander: I am not a techie, but sometimes connections from public networks -- especially in hotels and the like -- are very slow, and secure sites reject connections that take too long to tranfer data. This is for your safety, but it can be annoying if you are dependent on being able to get through.

Why are they slow? Sometines too many users for the bandwidth or someone in Room 417 torrenting a movie.

Yes, this is very true. I had WiFi at every hotel/pension/apartment I stayed at on my recent trip. Some of the connections were great, most were decent; a couple were terribly slow. FYI, it is possible to limit the bandwidth each person connected can consume, so one person can't hog all the bandwidth.

It is possible the connection could be too slow to connect to various websites, but as I said above, it's more likely the credit union sees someone trying to connect from Italy and is (rightly!) worried about a security breach.

Search this Thread