Search

International Travel Novice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
International Travel Novice

Hi again all -
i have been reading up on several sites about Rome and International Travel generally since I will be taking my first European trip in a couple of weeks, and I just have a few questions for everyone. First, I am going to Rome. A lot of people have said that you can't wear shorts into any of the churches in Rome. I knew this was the rule at the Vatican, but is it the rule in all churches? I have also read posts from people who said they say people in Vatican City with shorts and as long as the shorts come down to right at your knees you should be OK. Seeing how I am going to Rome in August, I would really like to be able to wear shorts as I would like to walk around the city. What should I pack? I planned on wearing dress pants to the Vatican, but what about for the other days when I am not there? Also, I have read one post that said that European hotel rooms don't have towels and wash cloths in them, is this true? If it is, are they available by asking the front desk or should I pack some and take them with me?
I would also like to know how hot is it in Rome this time of year. I know Europe is in a bit of a heat wave (as is America), and I know that the temperature is about 85-90 degrees, but how "hot" is it. I am from Southern Louisiana and am used to have 90-100 degree days with high humidity. Is the humidity bad in Rome as well?
Also, how much cash should I bring to Rome for 8 days? Do most places take credit cards?
And just one more - the hotel I booked is the Cicerone Hotel. I have read a lot of good things about it, but does any one here know anything about it? Did I make a good choice?
Thanks, and sorry for the litany of probably very silly questions!
-c
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 04:56 PM

I can only address your question about the towels:

Whoever told you that European hotels don't have towels knows nothing. How can a hotel not offer its guests towels? Sorry, but that's not true. However, I don't ever recall seeing washcloths.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 05:05 PM

Hi Tigerwave,

I wouldn't bring a lot of cash to Rome. Instead, if you have a debit card with a 4 digit pin # you can get cash from an ATM daily if you need to. They are easy to find and that way you don't have to worry about carrying a lot of cash on you. Some places take credit cards, but I would not rely on every place accepting them because there are many places that don't want to bother with them.

I would bring a washcloth with you if you like to use one. I have never seen one in an Italian hotel. I can't remember if they have hand towels.

I believe the rule at the Vatican is your knees and shoulders and belly must be covered (no tank tops, short shorts or belly shirts). You would be safe to follow this rule in other churches too just out of respect. Just wear something lightweight since it will be hot outside. It will be cool in the Vatican though.

Hope this helps and have a good trip!
jgg

We were just in Rome in June and it was very hot (100 degrees) and humid. If you are from Louisiana it will probably feel like home. We came back to our hotel every afternoon and took a cold shower.

We did not find in the other churches that people were checking the dress code, but I do think it is important to be respectful. Both my teen daughter and I found that wearing a dress or skirt was much cooler than wearing shorts. A dress or skirt always allows you to feel cool but dressed up more than shorts if you decide to detour into a church.

Absolutely hotels have towels and washcloths, some hostels might not, but if you are staying in a hotel they should have them.

About bringing money. I would not exchange my money in the US for Euros, but would just use my ATM card. You get the best exchange rate that way and you can just take out what you need for the day. We also found that most places take credit cards, except for maybe some smaller restaurants.
P_M

I agree with the above about towels, I have never been to a hotel anywhere in the world that doesn't provide them. Also ditto to the washcloths--you probably won't see those, but you will definitely have towels.

Bring cash as a back-up, but use your ATM card to get all of your €'s. If you exchange cash or traveler's checks you will pay a commission of 7-10%, whereas the ATM charges a 1% markup at most, plus a flat fee of a buck or 2, usually. Call your bank and ask how much it is.

Most places do take credit cards, especially for large purchases.

I've only been to Italy once in the summer and once in the fall. The summer trip was in 1980, so I'm sorry to say I don't recall the dress code. I do recall that it was hot....REALLY HOT!! But bearable if you are accustomed to a warm climate.

Old Jul 26th, 2006, 05:06 PM
rex

Hi... and welcome to the Europe forum (a "place" that some of "us" treat like a second home)...

...so this is offered, sincerely... in the spirit of helpfulness. I see that this is your third question here - - and none of them nention the destinations in any message header. We don't need to know about <i><b>you</b></i> in your nessage header - - we need to know about the places which are the subject(s) of your question(s).

Although you are not the first, or only person to post a message with a header like this... it's a common custom here... and courtesy... to include info about your destination(s) in your message header.

Would you please re-post... and mention <b>Rome</b> in your message header?

If everyone put this kind of message header on their questions, as you have...

...it would be a bit like walking into the library, and seeing shelf after shelf filled with rows and rows of volumes... and on the spine of each one of them, you would see &quot;Must read&quot;.

So, please, <i><b>do</b></i> re-post...

Best wishes,

Rex

p.s. I agree that all hotels provide towels. But washcloths are, in many parts of Europe, considered an item as personal as underwear. And that each person would prefer to bring and use theior own. So, they are typically not found in hotel rooms.

Old Jul 26th, 2006, 05:09 PM

Hi tigerwave, hotels in Italy certainly do provide towels, towels for the bath, towels for the sink and towels for the bidet.

Regarding visiting churches, If you wear capris while sightseeing and a short sleeve top you should not have any problem visiting any Catholic church. Or if you want to wear sleevless tops than do have some kind of a shawl tucked into your bag so you will be able to cover your shoulders.

If you always use washclothes I would tuck some into your luggage.

Regarding money. I do like to arrive with the equilivant of about 100&euro;, other people just use an ATM on arrival. I wouldn't exchange money here in the US for euro for the entire trip. There are tons of threads here on Fodors about this subject. Rome and August..already there is quite a heatwave. The power went down in Rome yesterday..at least in some areas as the River Po has a low water level..so the electrical power is a problem. Do expect very hot and humid weather and do not expect the type of a/c that we have here in the US.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 05:10 PM
jgg

I must correct my post and agree that most places do not provide washcloths but definitely provide towels.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Jan57

Just returned last week from France and Italy and every place we stayed provided bath towels--even the agriturismo in Tuscany. If the bathrooms have a bidet, they usually provide a smaller towel also. In 5 trips to Europe, have never seen washcloths. I always bring a package of those dry disposable face cloths (that you can wet to activitate the soap) and they work great. Target and Walmart have them and there are several companies that make them.

As for what to wear to St. Peters and the Vatican, the first time we went there 4 years ago my husband and I wore pants and our kids, who were 11 and 15 at the time wore longer length cargo shorts (which our hotel clerk looked at and said they would get in with no problem) and they would let in our younger son with them on but not our older son. (we had to do a switcharoo with him and my husband's pants after my husband came out so he could go in) Long story short--this time the guys all wore pants and I wore a skirt but we did see them letting people in with longer shorts. It is hard to know what the clothes patrol will allow as I think it changes often. We went into numerous churches throughout Rome and I did wear a skirt (I think it is more comfortable than shorts) and the guys always had on longer length cargo shorts and we had no problems.

It will be very hot in Rome in August. Go back to your hotel and take a siesta every afternoon--you will be so refreshed!

Old Jul 26th, 2006, 07:13 PM

It's usual for European hotels--other than the 4* and up ones--to provide washcloth (they're considered personal), but you will certainly be given towels.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 07:13 PM

No, no, NOT usual! Sorry.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 09:05 PM

I went to Italy last summer and teenybopper girls were being asked left and right to cover up or leave cathedrals and even smaller churches. The good news is that several times there were baskets of paper sack-like cover ups for tourists who were inappropriately dressed (belly shirts, tanks...etc.). I wore mostly capris and knee-length skirts with cap-sleeve tee shirts.
--agree about the disposable cloths from Oil of Olay or Dove
--Bring about $50-100 in Euros, an ATM card with pin# and a Visa credit card as a back up--do NOT wear a fanny pack or purse, instead use a money belt that goes underclothes.
--VERY hot in Rome, and AC is weak in hotels--just buy bottled waters from the local groceries (much cheaper than at sites from stands) and wear sunscreen.