Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

international phone card . Europa or EuroTalk

Old Apr 1st, 2007, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to purchase an international phone card before we leave to be used in Italy form calls to U.S. I want to be able to use it from hotel rooms or pay phones. After looking it seems to me the Europa card or Euro Talk would be the best. Which one would you recommend and on what site? Thanks.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 12:57 PM

Why buy your Europa card at home? You can get them at all sorts of shops over there -- Internet points, for example. Indeed, some shops have a bewildering array of specialized cards (Asia-only, for example).

The Europa cards can be used from a land-line (watch out for hotel phone charges????) or a payphone.

We got a 5E Europa card (for which the vendor charged us only 4E 50) in Florence.

From a landline, you can make up to 5 hours of calls, apparently. When we got to Rome, the card -- or the phone we used -- started to act up, so we did not get the full number of minutes. Still, I figure we got at least 2-3 hours of calls for about $7 Canadian.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 02:55 PM

I also used the Europa card. 5 Euro for 200 minutes (I think you get less if calling from a pay phone.) I'm not aware of anywhere you can buy them ahead of time. Maybe you can, but I'm sure you'll pay a lot more. Just wait 'til you get there. The tobacco shops carry them.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 07:41 PM

I fly to Rome all of the time and love the Europa card. I buy the 5 euro card at any tabac shop and its wonderful. You can use it from any hotel without extra charges by just dialing 9 or outside line. The card is usually good for over 300 minutes for the 5 euros. If you use if from a payphone you get less minutes. DO NOT BUY IT HERE IN THE STATES!!!
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I just thought it would be something to get done here so I could use it right away to let family know "We made it!"
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:41 AM

We have been using our europa cards all over Italy. I bought them at tabach shops as well as a Italy phone card; Huge difference as you are charged 10 euro cents a min. for calls in Italy. The europa card is international and is for calls to Europe, USA and Canada. Some of the hotels you will not be charged if you use the Italian 800 #. Depends on the hotel. My Grandaughter has one and has been using hers and I have one and it is no problem even if you have the Italian operator as you do the exact same thing you would do if you had the English speaking oper.
The europa card is WONDERFUL. Thanks Fodorites for the great info!
We are currently in Florence and the weather has been great. A few drizzles in So. Tuscany, but who can complain when you are here!!!