Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   International Herlad Tribune Bites the Dust...Replaced by (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/international-herlad-tribune-bites-the-dust-replaced-by-995882/)

PalenQ Oct 23rd, 2013 12:49 PM

International Herlad Tribune Bites the Dust...Replaced by

the International New York Times.

Though initially this may just be a name change only still the demise of the International Herald Tribune for me and other veteran travelers brings nostalgia about the many times abroad when, before the Internet, was about the ony source of news from back home.

I remember at times feverishly searching newsstands in cities where the Herald Trib was hard to find and feeling so relieved when I did - even if just to see if my Michigan Wolverines had won a football or basketball game, etc.

I shed a tear for the demise of the International Herald Tribune - do you?

Any stories about the Herald-Trib in your travelling life?

http://www.salon.com/2013/02/25/shed...erald_tribune/

nytraveler Oct 23rd, 2013 12:51 PM

Yes - in the last ice age we would try to find it everyday - of course difficult/impossible in smaller towns - since we almost always traveled in baseball season and wanted to see how the Yankees were doing - as well as catch up on local news.

Goldens Oct 23rd, 2013 12:54 PM

That does make me sad. In the early '70's that was a link to home. I managed to purchase two papers in three months!
It makes me remember how college kids used to go weeks/months with no contact to people back home.
Times are certainly different.

Goldens Oct 23rd, 2013 12:56 PM

My son ( the journalist)gets a kick still out of my excitement when I purchase a copy on trips.

kerouac Oct 23rd, 2013 01:18 PM

I even used to suscribe to it and in Paris it was delivered on the same day of publication.

HappyTrvlr Oct 23rd, 2013 01:26 PM

It's been part of the NY Times for a while so now it's basically a name change. I grew up with both the Herald Tribune and the New York Times. Sad to see the HT totally disappear.

Christina Oct 23rd, 2013 01:29 PM

yes, I know it was already owned by the NYT, so I don't see a big difference. I usually get it free at the hotels I stay at in Europe, which is nice for an easy read.

opaldog Oct 23rd, 2013 01:32 PM

I remember way back when my first trip to Europe with my parents, I was 14, in Paris and students (who appeared to be American) were selling the International Herald Tribune on the street.

Southam Oct 23rd, 2013 02:48 PM

It has been my valued travel companion for decades and I still search it out. Over the last few years its Paris-based staff have left or been retired, leaving only occasional commentary pieces originating with the paper. I especially miss Patricia Wells' restaurant reviews.

nukesafe Oct 23rd, 2013 03:07 PM

Sitting at an outside table early in the morning with an IHT, a croissant, and coffee, while watching the passing parade, has been my idea of paradise for many years.

Now it's gone?! Sob --

Somehow, an iPad makes a very poor substitute.

yipper Oct 23rd, 2013 04:19 PM

We spent the month of sept. In Italy at a sea side town. Every morning we would get our coffee and read the Tribune which was on a pole at the cafe. It was heaven. At least the Times is not discontinuing it all together.

330east Oct 23rd, 2013 07:34 PM

I started reading it in 1958 (I think). One benefit was that you could read the fabled Art Buchwald instead of just hearing about him.

Robert2533 Oct 23rd, 2013 08:00 PM

Been reading it for decades, it's how I first corresponded with Patricia Wells. If you subscribe to the NY Times, then the 'new' IHT is part of the package, and the coverage is slightly different.

Ackislander Oct 24th, 2013 03:13 AM

It would just not have been the same for Jean Seberg to walk around Paris calling, "International New York Times!!"

spaarne Oct 24th, 2013 05:20 AM

<i>International Herlad Tribune Bites the Dust...Replaced by
Posted by: PalenQ on Oct 23, 13 at 4:49pm
the International New York Times.
I shed a tear for the demise of the International Herald Tribune - do you?</i>

PalenQ, you messed up my day with this news. I share nukesafes sentiments. Eveybody knew the IHT was owned by the NYT (and formerly a joint venture with the Washington Post) but I loved it anyway when I lived and traveled in Europe.

Why didn't they rename that other rag the "New York International Tribune?" The New York Times gets it wrong, again.

hikrchick Oct 24th, 2013 07:21 AM

When I was studying in England in 1986, at the University of East Anglia, I felt like I was at least connected to home by reading the IHT. I even loved reading the international weather reports, just to see it list "New York". At the ripe old age of 20 I thought I was so cosmopolitan sitting in a pub reading the paper... Even though it's sort of the same thing, still, it's not really.

Pepper_von_snoot Oct 24th, 2013 07:25 AM

As long as they don't get rid of my old friend Suzy Menkes I don't care what the NYT renames the newspaper.

I just love Suzy!!!

Thin

mr_go Oct 24th, 2013 07:35 AM

I used to love going down to the corner kiosk when I was abroad, and picking up the IHT. It made me feel, at once, so worldly and yet so connected to home.

But I've stopped reading print newspapers altogether now. Whether I'm traveling or not, I read my morning news on iPad. It's fresher news, easier to use, and the content is free.

Ackislander Oct 24th, 2013 07:53 AM

Well, yes, Suzy Menkes. She actually thinks. I hope she winds up in the Times, also Patricia Wells.