Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   International Flights? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/international-flights-189329/)

J Sep 14th, 2001 08:26 AM

International Flights?

Have any international flights resumed (either in-bound or out-bound)? Have their been any estimates when they will? I'm just trying to figure out my odds of my flight to Italy on 9/20 actually taking off. Thanks.

t Sep 14th, 2001 08:33 AM

Great question, I have already bought and paid for tickets thru cheaptickets that leave 19th for Paris. Wonder if thing will be resumed by then?

traveler Sep 14th, 2001 11:11 AM

Agent just called, US not accepting foreign aircraft until further notice. <BR> <BR>Two flights across the Atlantic did go today, one each way, through Britain I believe.

Linda Sep 14th, 2001 11:19 AM

International flights are allowed to take/off land--however, the flights must be on US flag carriers. So, it depends on who your tickets are with as to whether you will be able to fly to Europe any time soon.

s.fowler Sep 14th, 2001 11:43 AM

Just read on Yahoo News UK that British Airways has been cleared. They are sending two empty planes over to pick up stranded people and will resume other services soon.

Linda Sep 14th, 2001 11:55 AM

Glad to know about BA. Virgin and El Al should be soon, I should imagine, with Air France close behind. It will be good to see old friends back on board, so to speak.

T.Paul Sep 14th, 2001 12:03 PM

My tickets are with T.W.A. hopefully four days from now that airline will be running. I should think so considering that T.W.A. will have to be cleared thru F.A.A. checkpoints and security.

pam Sep 14th, 2001 01:53 PM

I've been keeping track of my company's travelers this week. One of my guys made it home (well to ATL at least) from Brussels today, on Delta.

xxx Sep 14th, 2001 02:04 PM

Does anyone know about Air France? What if my flight is a Delta flight operated by Air France, does that mean that the flight isn't allowed to take off as of yet?

Linda Sep 14th, 2001 04:20 PM

If the airplane has an American flag on its tail and if that airline has been allowed to fly by the FAA (and Delta has, to my knowledge), it will be allowed to fly. If no American flag, it can't fly in or out, with few exceptions.

Karen Sep 14th, 2001 04:28 PM

In Phoenix British Air and Lufthansa will be ready to fly on Sunday. We had to cancel our Ireland trip yesterday p.m. when we found we were not going to be able to fly out this a.m. on AA and make our connection with Aer Lingus in Chicago. Friends in Boise, Idaho had to cancel because they couldn't get to Minneapolis and take BA to London today. The earliest their airport agent said they could get out on BA was the 20th and our tour would be half over by then.

Cindy Sep 14th, 2001 04:28 PM

Is it true that if you have a confirmed seat on a flight departing Saturday, that you will get your seat before someone who has been stranded for the last 3 days? Does anyone know how it works? Also, is 3 hours prior to departure enough time for check in etc. on an Intl flight? <BR> <BR>Last question, are e-tickets working, or is it best to switch them at a ticket office ahead of time? <BR> <BR>Thanks...

Katherine Sep 14th, 2001 04:35 PM

According to United, if you are ticketed you can not be bumped by someone who has been stranded. You should be there at least 3 hours in advance of take off (call your airline to be sure your flight has not been cancelled) and you must check ALL your bags (except a purse or briefcase) at the counter. You will change your e-ticket for a paper ticket at the counter. It is recommended that you bring your receipt. Also, you should bring 2 picture IDs. <BR> <BR>As it stands right now, I'm on my way to London tomorrow. Ciao all! <BR> <BR>

Cindy Sep 14th, 2001 04:40 PM

Katherine, <BR> <BR>Thanks so much for the quick response. Have a safe trip! <BR> <BR>Cindy

Linda Sep 14th, 2001 04:43 PM

Just heard that Virgin-Atlantic is back on line.

C Sep 14th, 2001 04:55 PM

Did I understand clearly that they are not allowing carry-on's on international flights? <BR> <BR>If so, how large of a "purse" can we carry-on (would a small bookbag be OK)? Is this a short-term precaution or will this be carried on for several weeks?

Linda Sep 14th, 2001 05:06 PM

Haven't heard lately that you can't have carry-ons. It was announced early on, but that seems to have changed. On local news they showed people who were getting on the planes and they had carry-ons. They are saying, though, that carry-ons will be closely checked. I take that to mean that you may have to earn them for a search.