Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   International Drivers Permit - Greece??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/international-drivers-permit-greece-555068/)

porterdog Aug 29th, 2005 10:27 AM

International Drivers Permit - Greece???

Do we need to have an International Drivers Permit to drive in Greece. We are leaving in a week and just heard about this. Help!

jules4je7 Aug 29th, 2005 10:30 AM

We rented a car on Samos Island and they barely checked our Colorado state driver's license. The agency we used was more interested in making sure we had a credit card. ;)

Jules

china_cat Aug 29th, 2005 10:30 AM

By the rules, yes you are supposed to have one. It's very easy to get, you just drop by the local AAA office and get one. In practice, I have had one on all my international trips (Italy, UK, Greece) and never once has anybody needed to see it. then again, I never got pulled over by a cop in any of those countries either, so who knows?

ira Aug 29th, 2005 10:31 AM

Hi P,

You will need it only if you are stopped and asked for it.

This rarely happens.

See see http://www.aaasouth.com/travel_drivers.asp#idp

You might be able to get your IDP in a week.

((I))

Patrick Aug 29th, 2005 10:35 AM

"You will need it only if you are stopped and asked for it.
This rarely happens."

Hey, good idea. With that in mind, I think we'll forget driver's licenses and insurance all together as we've never been stopped and asked for those either!

Like insurance, you only need it when you need it. The IDP is REQUIRED by law in Greece. Of course, you can take your chances of not getting stopped. But it has nothing to do with renting a car, only with the police, so I'm not sure why the car rental place would ask for it.

porterdog Aug 29th, 2005 10:53 AM

Thanks everyone - looks like I'll got to AAA and get one.

Eleni Aug 31st, 2005 06:34 PM

The problem with an international driver's license in Greece is that it does not include a translation into Greek, and so is pretty useless. I'm sorry to report that I have been stopped for speeding more than once, and my US driver's license was more than adequate for them to give me a ticket. Neither set of police asked for an international driver's license. The only thing the police wanted, that I didn't have with me the first time, was my passport.

kathydreams Jun 25th, 2011 04:45 AM

This is a 2005 post. Does anyone want to chime in on this issue? Getting an IDP is kindof a pain because you need 2 passport photos, etc.

adrienne Jun 25th, 2011 04:52 AM

<< Getting an IDP is kindof a pain because you need 2 passport photos, etc. >>

It's not a pain at all. You can go to AAA where they will take the photos and process the paperwork in about 20 minutes. You can also print the on-line form, fill it out, and hand it in at AAA to save you time.

kathydreams Jun 25th, 2011 04:56 AM

thank you adrienne. I did not know that. we will take care of this. :)

Heimdall Jun 25th, 2011 05:44 AM

Easy-peasy! I just got one even though I probably won't be driving in Greece this summer (nice to have just in case). It costs only $15 plus the charge for photos. :-)

Judy Jun 25th, 2011 07:06 AM

We were, for the first time, asked for our IDPs when renting cars in Greece....once in Chania and once in Naoussa. This was last month.

brotherleelove2004 Jun 25th, 2011 07:26 AM

Sometimes it’s possible to rent a car just by showing your passport and a current drivers license. No problem.
BUT....................
If you get in an accident and don’t have the IDP you'll be in serious trouble with the Greek Police. Greek Law requires it and if you can't produce it you could possibly be detained until you come up with the cash to pay for any _and all_ damages to the vehicles involved regardless of whose fault it is and whether or not the damages were pre-existing (especially if the other car belongs to a local seizing the opportunity to play the system!)
AND...................
Your insurance will be invalidated because technically you will have been driving illegally.
And in that regard I also encourage you to take out the local insurance offered when you pick up the car, as much coverage as you can get. Don't rely on the automatic insurance your credit card claims to provide you. You'll be in a foreign country and there won't be a claims adjustor handy.
Just as important: Don't take "No Problem" as a substitute for indicating on the rental acceptance form every little scratch, dent, tear, stain, crack and missing part on the vehicle, inside and out and underneath. Take photos to back up your inspection. If the rental agent resists signing off on all that you've indicated walk away and find another agency.

tejana Jun 26th, 2011 05:47 AM

We just rented a car in Naxos and had to produce international drivers license and passport before renting - it was part of the paperwork.

ParadiseLost Jul 13th, 2011 09:25 PM

I was living in Greece in '73-'75 and got popped for speeding by Radar just outside Athens ~Glyfida.

All I had on me was my IDL which they accepted.

My ticket was written out to Walter Brown (son of) Hazel.
'Hair color' Brown...'Eye Color' Hazel :-). Regards, Walter

p.s. IIRC my Greek girlfriend told me that the police had just recently received Radar, perhaps my alias was the 1st American to receive a Radar issued ticket:-).

iris1745 Jul 14th, 2011 04:25 AM

Having just returned from Greece and renting a car, we needed our IDP at the Rhodes airport for Budget. As 'adrienne said', go to AAA and for $22 dollars, includes photos, you have your IDP.

indiancouple Jul 15th, 2011 07:21 PM

We also just returned from Greece. In the islands of Paros and Santorini, the car rental agencies were not interested in our IDP, just our home country driving license. But when we rented from Budget at Athens airport, they insisted on seeing our IDP. Told us that insurance cover was not valid without it.

So don't take a chance; do carry your IDP to Greece, as it is required by law.

ParisAmsterdam Jul 16th, 2011 07:14 AM

The post by indiancouple above illustrates an important point... it is immaterial what the car rental clerk does or does not ask for... it is the *law* that dictates you need an IDP!