International Driver's License Required?

Aug 22nd, 2009, 01:59 AM
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,017
> - as the Munich site makes clear - an IDP DOESN'T, alone, allow you to drive: you MUST, in Europe, have your national driving licence with you as well.

This is just the opposite of what this site makes clear.
The IDL indeed DOES allow you to drive....
logos999 is offline  
Aug 22nd, 2009, 02:03 AM
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,017
Since on an official document, the word "licence" is used it is a "licence" and not a permit. .

We'd only call it permit, if it is one. We call a "licence" a "licence".
logos999 is offline  
Aug 22nd, 2009, 03:58 AM
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 19,881
<<< The IDL indeed DOES allow you to drive.... >>>

If you hold a German driving licence then you can use that throughout the EEA without the need for an IDP.

If you hold a non-EEA driving licence then you probably need an IDP which does not give you the right to drive unless it's accompanied by the driving licence as all the IDP does is say "logos999 has the right to drive - but check their licence"
alanRow is offline  
Aug 22nd, 2009, 04:13 AM
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,017
There are two different types of international licences. An IDL issued in Germany does allow you to drive in the countries that signed the agreement, no other national licence needed. (The USA have not signed that agreement)

This international licence issued in Germany is based on a different international agreement than the IDP you talk about. The IDP you write about is NOT issued here. "Our" IDL is accepted in the US, just because there is no other "international licence" available to Germans.

Yes, there is such a thing as an International Drivers licence, and it is issued by a number of countries.
logos999 is offline  
Aug 22nd, 2009, 04:21 AM
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,017
This leads to some strage results. i.e an Austrian who wants to drive in Japan just needs to take his IDP with him, while the German has provide an offical translation through the embassy or consulate.
logos999 is offline  
Aug 22nd, 2009, 08:28 AM
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 64,930
logos999: Not one word of any of your posts has anything at all to do w/ the OP's query/situation.
janisj is online now  
Aug 22nd, 2009, 08:34 AM
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,017
janisj, it has to do with false ("incorrect") statments in answers posted as facts. So yes, quite relevant to the question because it's making the OP look ignorant.

And I doubt very much that your insurance would be void either. That has to be seen in court.
logos999 is offline  
Aug 24th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 555
Im4wine--is that all clear? Hah, hah. Basically, if you have a driving license from an EU country, you are fine. If you are from the USA, or Australia, or China, or some other non-EU country, then you are required by Italian law to have an International Driving Permit in addition to your regular driving license. In the USA, the best known authorized issuer of the IDP is AAA.
Paul1950 is offline  
Aug 24th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,017
Looks like all is clear now.
logos999 is offline  
Aug 24th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 58
Yes...we will get one this week! Thanks for the help.
Im4Wine is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Apr 8th, 2009 11:28 AM
May 13th, 2007 08:13 AM
Nov 22nd, 2006 08:09 AM
Nov 16th, 2005 06:04 PM
Chris Tschida
Jul 31st, 1998 01:05 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:33 PM.