Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

International Drivers' License - necessary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 04:32 AM
Rhonda

The company through whom we are leasing a car tells us we don't need an International Drivers' License; our Aussie ones will be sufficient (with our photos on). Please allay my husband's fears. <BR> <BR>(Possibly driving: Germany-Switzerland-Austria-Italy-France-Spain-Portugal) <BR> <BR>Thanks heaps

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 06:25 AM
butch

Only women are required to have a IDL.Also, remember that women may not drive after sunset in Spain and Portugal.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 06:27 AM
Carey

I am not sure about australia, but in the u.s. the driver's license is good in all countries that you have mentioned. The main issue with getting an international drivers license is if you are going to countries that will not be able to read, or identify that the id you have is a drivers license. that may be a problem in countries in africa, or maybe asia. I don't think you will have a problem in europe. Don't worry about it. Your diver's license should be fine, and the chances of you having any problems with the police are minimal.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 06:34 AM
Bob

Double check on Austria. Unless it has changed recently Austria did require an international driver's license. No more than they cost it is good to have one anyway, since you can use that if you get stopped for any reason and need to surrender your driver's license. In the US they cost like $10 at the local Automobile Association of America (AAA).

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 09:51 AM
S Andrews

Women are also not allowed to drive before sunset in Spain and Portugal. <BR> <BR>S Andrews

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 10:36 AM
JP

According to http://www.ideamerge.com/motoeuropa/...rep/index.html, Austria, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Italy, Poland, Portugal, Russia and Spain require IDP's.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 04:57 AM
Mary Ann

As mentioned above, the best part is that if you are stopped, the international license is in several languages. Some people have had problems in Italy when they had only a US license. Also, they are handy for other identification purposes. Some times in museums, etc. to use the headsets you must leave ID. It was more comfortable to leave the international license than it was to leave the passport or US drivers license.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 06:06 AM
wrong

WRONG Americans definetly need a International Drivers Permit in Spain!!

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 05:06 AM
Rhonda

Thanks for the advice. Will get one just in case. <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 05:16 AM
Tammy

Is it a big deal if the International drivers license is expired. Mine expires this month and I'm going to Spain in October.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 07:29 AM
kt

Just a different experience to share. I rented a car in Austria last May, and no one ever asked me for an IDP. There were no problems with my American license. You'll probably feel better if you get one though, so, have a do it, and have a great time!

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 08:17 AM
StCirq

No car rental company will ever ask you for an international driver's license, even in a country where one is required, so that's not a good indication of whether you need one or not. It used to be that you had to have one (or a certified translation of your American license) to drive in Italy, but I recently checked the Italian Embassy website and it's clear it's no longer the law. I do believe you still need one in Spain. I think in the rest of Europe you're safe without one. But it's not really a big deal to get one, and as someone else said, it can be helpful if you get pulled over to have a license that a European can read in his own language.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 09:00 AM
amg

Rhonda, <BR> <BR>After 5 years of driving in Europe we just got our first speeding ticket in Hungury. We were in a small town half way between Sopron and Budapest. Speed traps are international. The driver did not have and international licence and there was no problem. They asked for her passport and US drivers license. They spoke enough words in english to tell her were to pay the ticket. <BR>If you don't have one, I would not worry about it. <BR> <BR>Have fun on your trip. <BR>Aileen <BR> <BR>