Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   International Driver's License Necessary to rent a car in Tuscany? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/international-drivers-license-necessary-to-rent-a-car-in-tuscany-700870/)

julia_italy Apr 28th, 2007 08:09 PM

International Driver's License Necessary to rent a car in Tuscany?

I am freaking out. We leave tuesday and I never even thought about it until just now. Is it really necessary to have an international driver's license? and how does one go about obtaining one? THANK YOU!

janisj Apr 28th, 2007 08:30 PM

It is not an international driver's license - It is an international driver's permit. It is a translation of your own driver's licence.

The rental agency will probably not ask for it nor care one way or the other. But they are required for driving in Italy. If you are not stopped by police - fine. But if you are you need to have one.

Do you live near an AAA office? if so, you can get your IDP there in about 5 mins.

ira Apr 29th, 2007 05:09 AM

Hi J,

Ditto Janis.

You can find an AAA office at
www.aaasouth.com/travel_drivers.asp#idp

((I))

Shirleya53 Apr 29th, 2007 06:06 AM

You can also mail it to the AAA office. You need two passport size photos and a copy of you drivers license both front and back. It cost me $15. about a month ago. And they were quick.

CRAZY4TRAVEL Apr 29th, 2007 06:20 AM

The rental agency didn't ask to see our International Driver's permit upon pick-up but I understand if you are stopped by the local police it can mean a hefty fine.

It only took us 10 minutes to get one our local CAA office here in Canada. They even took the photos.

CRAZY4TRAVEL Apr 29th, 2007 06:29 AM

This is what the Italian Tourism website says....I not sure I understand what they mean:

Driving License Regulations
Italy recognises driving licenses and other traffic documents that are valid in other countries. U.S. and Canadian driving licenses are valid in Italy but the license must be accompanied by a translation or an international license (check your local AAA in USA or CAA in Canada). For motorists not in possession of an International Driving license, the ACI (Automobile Club d'Italia) will issue a declaration upon presentation of a U.S. or a Canadian license. The declaration is obtainable at any ACI offices. Seat belts are compulsory in Italy.

Not sure what this declaration is?

janisj Apr 29th, 2007 07:28 AM

the declaration is a sort of Italian version of the IDP - but you'd have to go in person to the Auto Club office in Italy.

ekscrunchy Apr 29th, 2007 08:04 AM

Julia take it easy. Chances are very good that, even if you do not have the IDP, you will not be stopped. and if you are, the worst that will happen, according to the above post, is that you will have to pay a fine (maybe!).
Only you can decide if it is worth the chance; personally I would not stress out about it with so little time to go. Drive carefully!

yellowbyrd Apr 29th, 2007 08:29 AM

We drove around Tuscany and Liguria for two weeks during October of 2005 and never had a problem. No one at the Hertz rental agencies ever even mentioned an IDP and it never crossed my mind. But after reading this forum we will take the time to get a permit this time....no sense in having a hassle on a vacation!

mikemo Apr 29th, 2007 08:44 AM

An IDP was required to rent a car in Chile last November and I was informed to bring it to get the (Avis/Budget)rental car Palermo-FCO in May.
M

Sammygrll Apr 29th, 2007 10:01 AM

My husband just got one from AAA for $15. He just went there...and got it..was back within a half hour! lol
Go Monday if you can.

susnobie Apr 29th, 2007 10:13 AM

We are renting a car in Germany from Avis and will be traveling into Austria. Avis said Avis does not require the IDP but they recommend that I get an IDP. 15 minutes at AAA. I did the passport photos on my printer.

yellowbyrd Apr 29th, 2007 10:36 AM

Hey susnoble...we have a digital camera but it never occurred to me to use it to take my own pasport photo. Would you be so kind as to give me a basic explaination of what I need to do to save the $$ of having a professional take my photos for the IDP? Is there a particular size of photo and type of paper that I need? My SO is pretty ggod with the technical stuff...I just need to give the details to get the job done! Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

NeoPatrick Apr 29th, 2007 11:57 AM

What that says is that by law your US license is good in Italy but it MUST be accompanied by a translation which is what the IDP from AAA is. The copy of the declaration refers to this statement being available in print.

I don't think we have ever been asked for the IDP when renting a car, but that has nothing to do with whether one is required by law or not -- which it is. If you don't get stopped by the police, you don't NEED one. Just like if you never get involved in an accident, you don't NEED any car insurance. You can take your chances doing without either.

julia_italy Apr 29th, 2007 12:10 PM

Thank you all so much! I can't say enough about how much I appreciate the informed and fast replies!