Interlaken in April with Kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks for all the previous posts. they are extremely helpful to someone new like me.

I plan to take my family on a surprise vacation to Interlaken/Geneva from April 3-11. Thats the only time I can squeeze out. We have three children between the ages of 1 1/2 -10 years. Help me with the following please:

1. Is the weather tolerable during those days? What is the chance we will see some sunlight/tolerable highs in the 50's (F)?

2. Should we rent an apartment or 2 hotel rooms? Where? Interlaken or Lauterbrunnen or other?

3. How much time should we spend in Geneva vs. Interlaken area?

4. My goal is to relax and enjoy the mountains... (skiing, museums, clubs, or sporting activity is not our need)

5. Am I crazy to plan this trip with an 18 month old?

Your help is appreciated. Be candid please.

Faheem
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

And Oh BTW, We can make it Interlaken/Zurixh as well (instead of Geneva). Would that be better?
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 09:11 PM

Hmmm, your item #4 seems to favor spending most time in Berner Oberland instead of Geneve. What interests you in Geneve beside what looks like where you are arriving and departing?

Your item #4 also favors Lauterbrunnen over Interlaken. Higher you go, prettier it gets, but it also confines activities to mountain sports.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Greg.

No we have no interest in Geneva. In fact after reading the forum in detail I feel we will fly into and out of Zurich.

What is your opinion about #1?

Old Feb 26th, 2009, 03:56 PM

Don't know about #1, sorry, but with a baby, I would definitely want an apartment instead of hotel rooms -- that way you can keep milk and snacks handy for the odd times of day that the baby wants to eat (which won't likely coincide with the times the rest of the family will want to eat). It also means you and your wife can stay together, instead of one in each hotel room!
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 04:48 PM

Search under Bob Brown and read all you can--he is the BO resident expert--he favors Lauterbrunnen as a base.