Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Interlaken hotel Alphorn - can see mountains?

Mar 29th, 2001, 01:11 AM
Annie

Hi

Does anybody know if i can get a mountain view out of my room window if i stay at Hotel Alphorn in Interlaken? Also, does the room come equipped with toilet and shower facilities?

Tks in advance.

Annie

Mar 29th, 2001, 01:54 AM
Ursula

Hi Annie! The Alphorn looks like a small B&B. It probably depends on the location of the room whether you can see the mountains from your window. But you will surely see them from outside... if the weather is good!
The rooms seem to have all toilet and shower facilities. Check the following:

www.hotel-alphorn.ch and
www.interlakentourism.ch

Mar 29th, 2001, 01:38 PM
Bob Brown

Hi Annie. I have been to Interlaken several times, and have wandered those hills for over a month. From Interlaken you can see way off to the south the peaks of a few of the highest mountains of the Berner Oberland Range.

I would not say you could see the mountains from Interlaken. But I suppose it all depends on what you define as "seeing" the Alps.

Mar 29th, 2001, 02:01 PM
Ed

The mountains are about 14 km to the south of the city. Interlaken is largely shielded from a view of the mountains by a ring of foothills. There is a gap in the foothills (fortunately for the train line!) through which, on a clear day, one can catch a glimpse of the three tallest mountains. Although the best view of them can really only be had from the 5-star Victoria-Jungfrau and the city park (Hohematte).

If it's mountains you want, Annie, you'd be better advised to go beyond Interlaken to Grindelwald (loaded with cars), Wengen (no cars, Mürren (no cars, small village).

Mar 29th, 2001, 05:14 PM
Annie

Tks for the all the feedback. One question, Ed, is Grindelwald or Wengen easily accessible by train? Our itinery is such that we'll be heading straight to our hotel in Interlaken immediately after we get off the plane, so we'll haf all the luggage with us. Also, how do we go for a half-day or full-day tour to Jungfrau? Do we book a tour with the hotel or do we find our way up the mountain?

Mar 29th, 2001, 05:17 PM
Annie

Tks for the all the feedback. One question, Ed, is Grindelwald or Wengen easily accessible by train? Our itinery is such that we'll be heading straight to our hotel in Interlaken immediately after we get off the plane, so we'll haf all the luggage with us. Also, how do we go for a half-day or full-day tour to Jungfrau? Do we book a tour with the hotel or do we find our way up the mountain?

Mar 29th, 2001, 05:51 PM
Ed

Grindelwald and Wengen (and Mürren) all easily accessible by train. It's just an extra 45 minutes or so beyond Interlaken to Grindelwald, 48 to Wengen and 55 to Mürren.

You can take the Jungfraujoch excursion from any of those points easily, without a "tour".

You'll find mountain excursions in the region outlined in
www.twenj.com/swmountaintrips.htm Basically you take a train from any of those villages. You purchase a through ticket for the whole trip at the start. It's as simple as pie.

I'd recommend the Schilthorn excursion over the Jungfraujoch, but you can see what you think.

Mar 29th, 2001, 07:02 PM
Annie

Hi Ed

Tks so much for the very useful website!! Just wondering...do u do any other such websites offering information on Paris, Barcelona and Istanbul? Or do u know of any? Tks lotsss

Mar 29th, 2001, 07:17 PM
Ed

Just Rome and a bit of Bavaria, Annie. I don't track other destination websites but I'm sure others here will have suggestions if you post a question.

Happy Travels!

Mar 29th, 2001, 10:08 PM
Dan

Ed is correct. There is not much of a mountain view from Interlaken. My wife and I took this trip several years ago and stayed in Interlaken. Take the train (short ride) and head to the far end of the Lautergrunnen Valley and take the Cable car up to Gimmelwald and Murren. From there, on a good day, you can see all the mountains you want. In fact, take the cable up to the Schilthorn and get the greatest view you have ever seen. In case you don't know, there is a James Bond movie (Piz Gloria) filmed at the top so you can get an idea what's in store for you at the top. Once back at Gimmelwald we walked over to Murren, up to Sonnenberg's for a beer and then all the way back to the next train stop. Great walk and loved walking among the cows and hearing the ringing of those huge bells around their necks. You can see all of the Jungfrau region from those trails. If you are going in June you will have some snow. Check out Rick Steves' book for this area. Hiking on the Gimmelwald/Murren side of the valley was perfect for us.

Mar 29th, 2001, 10:39 PM
Ursula

Annie: For Paris, I use the following websites:

www.pariscope.fr (only in French; the weekly "What'on" in Paris)
www.parisavenue.com (also in English)
www.pagesjaunes.fr (street finder)
www.ratp.fr (public transportation)
www.rmn.fr (museum information)

Mar 30th, 2001, 08:14 AM
Bob Brown

Hi again. If your heart is set on the Jungfrau trip, be sure to brace yourself for sticker shock.
The cost depends on the rate of exchange, but it is close to $100 per person without a discount of some kind.
You can start the journey at any one of several places: Interlaken Ost, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, or Wengen.
Let's assume that you start from Interlaken Ost. You take the BOB train to Lauterbrunnen. At Lauterbrunnen you change to the green and yellow WAP train that goes to Wengen and on Kleine Scheidegg. Kleine Scheidegg is sort of the jumping off place for the Jungfraujoch. It is here that you change trains again for the final run to the top.
I suggest you go early to avoid the crowd. The longer you wait, the larger the crowd.
If you decide you want to take the Schilthorn trip, which gives you a chance to see the whole area as well,
you can do that by taking the train to Lauterbrunnen. You then have a choice.
You can take the Post Bus to the Stechelberg station for the cable car (Luftseilbahn) that goes up to Gimmelwald, then Mürren and then on to the top. Or, you can ride up the valley side on a cable car, change to a little train that goes to Mürren, and then take the final stage on the cable car. Either way you end up at the same place. I suggest an early start on this one too because the lines for the cable ride from Lauterbrunnen to Grutschalp (where you take the train to Murren) can be long.
I have walked by the valley station for that ride and the line spilled out into the street, and the wait must have been at least an hour.

One other prime ride in the area, one that I rank highly, is the gondola from Grindelwald to First. From First, which is the end station, you can walk to the top of the Faulhorn, if you are in reasonable physical condition, and get the more awesome panoramic views imaginable.
It depends, however, on when you are there because snow will linger through the summer. Early in the season there might be deep snow banks to traverse.
If you have good boots and hiking poles, the snow banks are no problem. I have seen some of the experienced hikers use their boot like skis and slide down the snow banks at a rapid rate.

Mar 30th, 2001, 09:01 AM
steve

Interlaken is not a picturesque town. If you want a room with a great view you should go up into the mountains. Alternatively just wait till you are out there hiking.