Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Interlaken area itinerary - please review!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your helpful suggestions to my query about how to get around the Interlaken area without a car.

Our rough plan is as follows and I'd be really grateful for any feedback! We're planning to go in the first week of September and our interests are beautiful scenery, a bit of hiking (but we're not experts!) and good food.

Day 1
10.35am flight from London to Zurich from London City Airport on Swiss Air (not yet booked).
Arrive Zurich around 1.15pm local time.
3pm train from Zurich to Interlaken (one change) and arrive at Interlaken Ost at 5pm.
Check into hotel in Interlaken (Rugenpark B&B, Hotel Blume, Susi's B+B or Arnold's B+B).
Evening - 6.30pm Dinner in Interlaken

Day 2
Boat trip to Brienz.
Late afternoon - check out of Interlaken hotel and take train to Lauterbrunnen.
Check into hotel in Lauterbrunnen (probably Hotel Staubback or Oberland, again based on Trip Advisor reviews)
Short hike
Dinner/night in Lauterbrunnen

Day 3
Jungfrau day trip via Wengen

Day 4
Grindelwald and cable car.

Day 5
Check out of hotel around 12 noon and take train from Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken. c 12.30pm - 2.30pm train to Zurich
Arrive at airport for around 3.30pm.
5pm - flight back to London

I've looked into the various rail passes and think the cheapest option for us will be the Swiss half fare pass - it works out at about £150 for the pass, Zurich to Interlaken, Jungfrau and a couple of short mountain train trips. (Swiss flexipass was about £162 and Swiss pass about £190 if my maths is right!!)
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 10:52 AM

I think it's possible for you to take a short bus ride up the Lauterbrunnen Valley and catch the cable car to Murren. Then, hike down the hill to Gimmelwald and have fondue at the hotel next to the hostel. That was one of my favorite lunches in Switzerland! Then, stop and see the Trummelbach Falls. I think you would enjoy this more than Grindelwald. JMO.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 11:00 AM

I agree with LLinda and would also think that either a walk or bus ride along the Lauterbrunnen valley and the cable to Murren with a walk to Gimmelwald would be extremely scenic. Much better than touristy Grindelwald, though if you had time, there are some wonderful walks from here.

You could rent a bike in Lauterbrunnen and bike the valley and catch the cable to Murren. Have lunch and see the town and bike all the way down from Gimmelwald and back along the valley to your hotel in Lauterbrunne.

My favorite laid back vacation spot.

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 11:05 AM

I hijacked this post from PalQ

It might be of help to you:

My favorite Interlaken excrusion

Interlaken ost train station to Lauterbrunnen - hop the new cable car to Grutschalp - take train along cliff with stunning views of Jungfrau Massif across the Lauterbrunnen Valley - train to Murren - hop cable car to Schilthorn - i guess Europe or the world's longest cableway - to the icy James Bond outpost at Schilthorn and its famous revolving restaurant - a platform lets you walk outside to the ice itself. One of greatest lookout points in Alps.

return to Murren by cable - explore this resort with some of the most appetizing views in the Alps of the glacier-clad Jungfrau Massif - have lunch, etc. Hop the cable way down to Gimmelwald - a farming hamlet lost in the Alps - just you, cows and the awesome glacier-gridled peaks nearby.

Can have lunch in the local hotel here.

Then a thrilling aerail cable car plunges down to the Lauterbrunnen Valley and Stechelberg where you can hop the postal bus back to Lauterbrunnen - look around it a bit - see the graveyard of Alpinists and the nearby waterfall or Trummelback Falls - the water shute that is the sole drain of the Eiger Glacier on Jungfrau i believe - but it's inside the mountain (actually Stechelberg bus would stop here en route to Lauterbrunnen) - return to Interlaken by train.

This whole route is covered in full 100% by a Swiss Pass except for the Schilthorn cable - it gives 50% off on this, a $40 value or more - which you may find useful even for a few days. A 4-straight day pass costs about $156 p.p. on a Saverpass (two or more names on one pass) and would cover all your travels Zurich-Lucerne, Lucerne boats, scenic Brunig Pass train to Interlaken (skirts Lake Brienz- one of the most scenic lines in Switzerland) and back.

You can buy Swiss Passes in Switzerland but they are currently about 15-20% higher than in the U.S. for some reason. In US i always advise BETS (www.budgeteuropetravel.com) for passes for their expertise and willingness to answer any questions. On the site ask for the free European Planning & Rail Guide which has a chapter on Switzerland and more on the excursion i mention. www.swisstravelstyem.com has lots of good stuff on scenic trains, boats, etc. It also has Swiss Pass prices in Swiss Francs so you can see the savings by buying abroad. You can also investigate the Half-Fare card which is only sold in Switzerland. Compare regualr fares at www.sbb.ch to see if a pass is good or not.

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 11:11 AM

Between the two lakes, I thought the boat ride to Thun with the scenery and picturesque little villages along the way was much nicer than the one to Brienz.

Also, if there is time, take the funicular up to Harder Kulm. The views of all the mountains are breathtaking. Only on a clear day though.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 11:13 AM

Read carefully the fine print...

1. excrusion

An excursion that is very painful, or excruciating.

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 11:19 AM

Be flexible about your trip to Jungfrau. Check the weather reports & go on a day it is clear. We were there in early May and my husband got up every morning at 5:30 or so to see if it was clear. The first day there were no clouds he got me up & we took the first train up the mountain. We spent a couple of hours (I had a pretty bad case of altitude sickness) and hopped on the train to leave.

It was already cloudy up there when trainloads of people started arriving. They didn't get to see too much.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 11:27 AM

love the typo as well, LOL! I agree about the weather. That trip is very expensive!
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Hello

Thanks again for your replies and noted re the weather up the Jungfrau.

So I think we will go to Gimmelwald and Murren rather than Grindlewald - unless anyone suggests otherwise!

Two more questions:
1. Would anyone recommend the Shilthorn over the Jungfrau?

2. Can anyone recommend some good restaurants up to around £30 for a 3 course meal without wine.

Thanks
Susie