Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Interesting NY Times article about the double standard of booking travel from the U.S. or foreign cities

Interesting NY Times article about the double standard of booking travel from the U.S. or foreign cities

Oct 3rd, 2007, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

This was in today's NY Times - thought I'd pass it along. Here's the first paragraph and then the link.

FOR a trip to Barcelona, Jorge Cuadros, a lawyer from Alexandria, Va., turned to the Internet to book a rental car. On Hertz.com, Mr. Cuadros was quoted a price of 626.12 euros for an automatic Mercedes for five days in October. At $1.42 to the euro, that amounted to about $890.

Out of curiosity, Mr. Cuadros switched to his native Spanish tongue and checked Hertzís Spanish Web site, www.hertz.es, where the same car was offered for 263.92 euros ó about 58 percent less. He had stumbled upon a little-known trick that many online travel companies would rather keep quiet.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/30/tr...=1&oref=slogin
Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

I just tried it myself to check it out. I went to hertz.com and picked Paris and got a quote on a Fiat Panda for a week for 259.56 Euros. I then went on the Hertz.it site and got a quote for the same car for 189.99 Euros.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:05 AM

Spain is also the cheapest country to book through AutoEurope. The AutoEurope people will even tell you this on the phone.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:58 AM

A cotton cashmere Argyle V-neck sweater costs $59.50 on the U.S. Lands End website.

The identical sweater on the U.S. Lands End website costs £49 ($99.50 at current exchange rates).

This sort of thing goes on everywhere.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:14 AM

Didn't we do this a few days ago.

I thionk the conclusion we came to was it was something called "free market economy".

In the case of Hertz they are trying to encourage Spanish people to use their services so they have a special offer for them.

Just as a US person can get a $100 one way ticket for the Eurostar whereas a Brit would be changed $300
Oct 3rd, 2007, 11:14 AM

In the EU, we we thrilled when all barriers finally fell. In the old days, you could be prevented in strange ways from saving money by buying something across a border (VAT or import fees or whatever). When the 'single market' came into being, all of the rules preventing you from finding a bargain were cancelled. So, especially on the internet, it is always good to shop around, because the website of every country is liable to give you a different price, but you are free to shop around until you find the cheapest offer and take that one.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 12:56 PM

I discovered this as well when I compared rates at Avis.com to Avis.fr; I rented via Avis.fr (which had an English option, BTW).