Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Interesting extras with Swiss Pass (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/interesting-extras-with-swiss-pass-510292/)

Edward2005 Mar 7th, 2005 05:18 PM

Interesting extras with Swiss Pass

I received my Swiss Pass in the mail today. Looking at the fine print I was surprised to see some nice extras. Some of them are:

10%-25% off some museums, including Swiss Transport Museum in Luzern, Olympic Museum in Lausanne, and the Open Air Folk Museum near Brienz. The Swiss Museum Pass, though, gets you in free to all these and a lot more for only 30 SF.

Reduced rate on bike rentals

10%-25% off at several major Swiss hotels, including Best Western, Swiss Quality Hotels, Swiss Backpackers, and Swiss International Hotels.

10-25% off on guided city tours in Basel, Bern, Geneva, Lausanne, Luzern, and Zurich.

treplow Mar 7th, 2005 06:06 PM

If you have the time, see the Swiss Transport Museum in Luzern, it is fun. You can go there by boat (figures!)

Patrick Mar 7th, 2005 06:18 PM

And don't forget the Swiss pass gives you free passage on the lake steamers. If your pass is first class you ride upstairs.

Melnq8 Mar 7th, 2005 06:41 PM

You also get free trips on most post buses. Some funiculars and cable cars are free, such as the funicular and connecting train from Lauterbrunnen to Murren, and the cable car from Murren to Gimmelwald and Steckelberg.

Intrepid1 Mar 8th, 2005 01:22 AM

You also get free transport on city transportation in many Swiss cities.

stillhouse Mar 8th, 2005 03:30 AM

Edward-

Thanks for posting this. I'm leaning towards the Swiss Pass, as opposed to Half Card and this information is quite helpful.

Does anyone know if the Swiss Pass covers the cablecars around Wengen?

Also, is it possible to purchase a second class pass and then upgrade selectively to first class? E.g. on boats, VIP seats on Golden Pass?

swandav2000 Mar 8th, 2005 03:42 AM

Hi Folks,

Edward2005, I've loved that discount on renting bikes -- on two of my recent trips I've rented bikes and enjoyed those discounts.

stillhouse, you get some of those same discounts with the Half-Fare Card; specifically, the rental bikes were almost 50% off with the Half Fare Card.

Yes, you can upgrade your Pass for certain days. I'm not sure where the information is -- maybe peck around www.rail.ch and their Swiss Travel System pages.

No, the Pass doesn't give free cable cars above Wengen, but it does give 10% or 25% off -- just as the Half Fare Card does. I'm pretty sure this information is somewhere at rail.ch; see if you can find some kind of map of coverage.

As you can see, I'm a big fan of the HFC. I think the big advantage of one of the Passes is the convenience (vice economy).

s

bob_brown Mar 8th, 2005 08:21 AM

The PASS gives 25% of of the cable lifts around Wengen, and it is valid to Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald.

The Swiss CARD gives 50% off almost all of the cable car lifts and mountain trains,which is why it is my choice.
For example, I have surpassed the breakeven point because of the free trip in and out of the country and half price on the Jungfraujoch ride.

The calculations get to be tricky because they are 100% dependent on where you go and what you ride.

If you are doing 80% standard rail travel, the pass is probably the best cost wise. I do very little standard rail travel in Switzerland, other than the ride in and out of the country, so the 50% off of the cable systems is a better deal for me and my travel style.

It all depends on what you do and where you go and how well you can predict what you actually do.

stillhouse Mar 11th, 2005 05:21 PM

Edward stated "The Swiss Museum Pass, though, gets you in free to all these and a lot more for only 30 SF." When I looked up the Swiss Museum Pass I only saw an annual pass rate quoted for more than 100SF. Where did you find info on the 30SF version?

Edward2005 Mar 11th, 2005 07:32 PM

The museumspass.ch website only shows the 1-year pass for 111SF. My Rick Steves guidebook says there is a 1-month pass for 30SF available at TIs, post offices, major museums, and at the website above. I didn't see it on the website.