Reload this Page >

Interesting and short article re: Gypsies

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 06:39 AM
sharing

I found this short and interesting article on Gypsies at the Bootsnall website. <BR><BR>http://m1e.net/c?12269304-bXw3m8cEwr...-X6s.S1er2IRvk

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Elaine

That was very informative. I had never thought about Gypsies' lives away from when they seem to be pestering or ripping off tourists. The article sort of humanized them a bit. Thanks.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Gem

Very interesting article indeed. And very well written too. Thanks for the recommendation!

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 09:36 AM
eeeeeee

they are still a bunch of thieves and can not be trusted and they do indeed stink badly

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 10:25 PM
Sheila

That is a great article

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 12:21 AM
hanl

A couple more facts about gypsies:<BR>When they migrated from India and traveled north to Europe, they split, with some moving across Turkey and across Eastern European countries (esp. Romania). Others travelled across Africa and entered southern Europe by crossing the Mediterranean. The word Gypsy comes from a word meaning Egyptian, as this is where they were believed to have come from.<BR>The gypsy population in Granada is quite different from that in other parts, as they are not &quot;nomadic&quot; and have been there for centuries. In the 15th century (i believe), they were granted the right to stay in Granada, in the Sacromonte district. There is still a large gypsy population living there, in the traditional troglodyte houses carved out of the hillside. They have their own cultural centre and are an integral part of the population.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 02:06 AM
don't

Don't forget that they were also victims of the Nazi holocaust.<BR>We tend to think of Jews as being the only victims. Gypsies are still being persecuted in many countries.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 06:31 AM
trying

A month or so in the US, a woman was caught on video tape beating her child in a parking lot. It turned out she was a member of a nomadic-type group. Is anyone familiar with that story and her group? Is that group related to the Gypsies?

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 06:41 AM
xxx

She was an Irish Traveller.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 06:43 AM
Sowhat

And an Irish traveler is...............a gypsy or would that be a tinker?

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 07:20 AM
mimosa

the gypsi kings are from Provence and their fellow gypsys are very nice there.<BR>They have a wonderful meeting every year in the Camargue where their people arrive from all over.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 07:31 AM
xxx

<BR>&quot;When they migrated from India and traveled north to Europe, they split, with some moving across Turkey and across Eastern European countries (esp. Romania).&quot;<BR><BR>Isn't the proper name for gypies &quot;Romany&quot;? <BR><BR>I believe Irish Travelers are the same as tinkers, but they may not be. Irish Travelers are the people who allegedly make their living by scamming others. In the U.S. there is a relatively large and insular community of them somewhere on the East Coast.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 08:08 AM
therefore

A gypsy is a gypsy is a gypsy.........

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 08:42 AM
xxx

<BR><BR>Irish Travelers — A pariah people <BR><BR>Sunday, October 13, 2002<BR><BR>By Andrew M. Greeley<BR><BR>&quot;Travelers are also called Tinkers because their ancestors mended pots, kettles, pans and anything that needed to be mended.&quot;<BR><BR>http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/greeley/x13-grd1.htm<BR><BR><BR>Inside the World of Irish Travelers<BR><BR>http://www.msnbc.com/news/820204.asp<BR><BR>&quot;Irish Travelers arrived in the United States in the 19th century. They traveled the country trading mules and horses — sometimes honestly, sometimes not very honestly. . . Travelers do what that name implies — roam the country living out of trailers and hotels. Those who are con artists have moved from trading in broken down horses to home repair scams.&quot; <BR>

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Lets not

start another hatred thread. There are cons in all countries.<BR>Let's have a hiatus for the holiday,<BR>no bashing.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 09:27 AM
liam

HEY let's not<BR>I can make you a real good deal on a new roof or a driveway repair. We are offering Christman specials right now.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 09:34 AM
xxx

<BR><BR>I don't hate gypies or Irish Travelers.<BR><BR>I do hate people who rip other people off.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Geez

Notice the trend already on this thread, the American nomads (Irish Tinkers) are being called dishonest and untrustworthy. The European ones (Gypsies) are being portrayed as misunderstood innocents.<BR>Always comes back to US bashing doesnt it?

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Redrum

When a particular social group is banished in country after country, for century upon century, reviled as cheats and thieves, one might be a bit naive to believe that there wasn’t some sort of grounds for such a reputation. A repute such as that of the gypsies is sadly well founded in fact. At some point or another one might imagine that they might step forward and acknowledge that their behavior is at least partially to blame. Of course here in the States we’re all blameless and, if you don’t believe it, I’ll sue you.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 11:54 AM
tee

Redrum: Your point is well taken. We say that stereotyping is bad, but is it wise to ignore stereotypes? If an Irish Traveler knocks on your door offering to do a little driveway repair, you would be smart to be skeptical (at least according the MSNBC article above). However, that is a form of racism, I suppose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -