Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Intercontinenal/Radisson hotel in Vienna (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/intercontinenal-radisson-hotel-in-vienna-292829/)

mandwt Feb 26th, 2003 04:36 PM

Intercontinenal/Radisson hotel in Vienna

Hello, Is there really much of a difference in these hotels in Vienna? They appear very close together on the map and they are both 5* hotels. <BR><BR>

BATUFFOLINA Feb 26th, 2003 04:46 PM

I personally were at the Intercontinental Hotel in Wien and I LOVED it. The room was elegant, spacious, the buffet plentiful and the week end i spent there was really awesome. So I can warmly suggest this hotel!

lynlor Feb 26th, 2003 07:04 PM

Have stayed at the Radisson Palais in Vienna....not Intercontinental...so only know about the Radisson. The location of the Radisson is better. It is on the Ring Circle and the hotel is quite charming.....reconstructed from two old buildings. There was complimentary fruit in the hall everyday. <BR><BR>Staff was very helpful in getting last minute light opera tickets for us.<BR><BR>The best part for me was accidently learning about and hearing the Schubert Boys Choir who were better than the Vienna Boys Choir IMO. Their director was formerly the director of the Vienna Boys Choir.<BR><BR>They were singing and taping in one of the rooms and we were able to listen to them for an hour and then several days later, one of the little boys brought a copy of this tape to our room.<BR><BR>There were a lot of interesting things going on at this hotel when we were there. A group called Anastasia was staying there and rehearsing. I talked to the drummer in the band who was from Biarritz, France. I was a bit embarrassed because I had never heard of the group.

Travelnick Feb 27th, 2003 02:25 AM

Lynlor is spot on -Radisson is a nicer location. I have been told that some Radisson rooms are really nice, others are very small. Intercon is OK - stayed there twice, but for this type of hotel and price, I think Ambassador is exceptionally good - much nicer than Intercon and better location. For slightly chintzier room, also look at Kaiserin Elizabeth - the more expensive rooms are better than Intercon's club rooms and are cheaper, also better location. Or Konig von Hungarn also more charm but rooms are all different - some definitely better than others. Grand Hotel is bit more expensive than Intercon, but I would say also better.

Andre Feb 27th, 2003 03:31 AM

mandwt,<BR><BR>Have stayed at both properties - they are fine, and the location is basically the same (perhaps 2 blocks apart - the Radisson is right on the Ring, whereas the Interconti is a 5 min. walk away). While both are officially 5* , they are not truly deluxe properties (those would be the Imperial, Bristol and Grand Hotels - perhaps also the Sacher).<BR><BR>Interconti:<BR>+ rooms more recently renovated<BR>+ great breakfast buffet<BR>+ pleasant lobby lounge (though you could be anywhere in the world)<BR>- ugly modern building<BR>- small bathrooms (rooms aren't large but basically the same size as Radisson)<BR><BR>Radisson<BR>+ beautiful old building (especially the exterior)<BR>- standard rooms are nothing special, get a lot of wear and tear.<BR><BR>Personally, I would go for the cheapest, if the same price perhaps the Interconti because I prefer renovated digs (new matress etc.).<BR><BR>Another option is the Marriott, on the Ring right next to the Radisson. If you can overlook the ugly lobby and bad decor (green carpeting!), it has the advantage of significantly larger rooms (and an indoor pool as I recall).<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Andre

BTilke Feb 28th, 2003 12:26 AM

When are you planning to travel? I have a business trip to Vienna coming up shortly and will be staying at the Intercontinental. Re the other hotels mentioned, last year I spent a week at the ANA Grand and it was a true luxury hotel. The year before, I stayed at the Kaiserin Elisabeth on three different trips and was always pleased with my room and service.