Insurance on Car Rentals

May 1st, 2001, 07:12 PM
Sherrie

Insurance on Car Rentals

I will be renting a car for 3 weeks, starting in Paris and returning in Zurich.
Does anyone know if it is best to get the extra insurance coverages (some, all)?

May 1st, 2001, 07:53 PM
Art

Please do a sesrch on 'insurance' and you will get many posts on auto insurance in Europe. They will give you a much better feel than I could. That being said, I always get it just in case.
Art

May 1st, 2001, 09:22 PM
Andy

I have rented from Autoeurope. If you take their CDW and then their super cdw, YOU still have a $125-$250 deductable that you are stuck with in case of accident( the above cost depends on if you rent sub,mid-size,full size etc) However,if you DECLINE their CDW and use your AX card to book,put deposit on and pay for rental,then AX covers you in FULL in case of accident. They don't cover liability (ie.if other car gets hurt) but Autoeurope gives you THAT liability coverage. I've been using AX for car rental for the last 20 years and NEVER take out the CDW--it's a major rip off. If both you and spouse drive the car, your sppouse has to have his NAME on the RENTAL aggreement for AX to cover. Hope this helps.

May 1st, 2001, 11:48 PM
greg

Sherrie,
Whether you use CDW provided by the rental company vs using a CC that gives that coverage is a treadoff. You do not really get CC provided collision/loss coverage "free." While collision/loss involving CC provided insurance can be solved in less than one billing cycle, you can also find reports of those who are still trying to get CC company to pay the rental company 5 month after the accident, meanwhile, you have to collect all the pertinent documents needed for the insurance purpose.

So if you don't mind possibly going thru prolonged settlement hassles, you can save alot by using the CC provided insurance, presuming that YOUR CC card provides this service for 3 WEEKS. CC cuts off continuous rental coverage at 15 days, 30 days, etc, depending on the company.

Also, note the items excluded by the CC provided insurance. One that really make it useless for me is the tire damage exclusion, the most likely problem I think, I encounter in driving thru narrow European streets with sharp curbsides.

May 2nd, 2001, 11:58 AM
Andy

Greg- I have a serious question to ask. The problem you or others ran into with not taking out CDW and using your cc for the CDW coverage--which credit card did you use where it took 5 months to settle and you had to collect "all pertinent documents"? I am interested in knowing as I will be using my AX VERY soon and if this is the company you know gave the clients the grief, then I will pay extra for the CDW coverage and bite the bullet on the $250 deductable that I still will have to pay if I have an accident. PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP.......

May 2nd, 2001, 12:05 PM
andrew

Be aware that there is a 15 consecutive day limit on insurance through Mastercard platinum, whereas the limit for visa platinum is 30 days.

As an interesting aside - when I mentioned this to my credit card company they simply changed me to visa form MC without any problem.

Andrew

May 2nd, 2001, 12:09 PM
StCirq

Andy:

Have you checked the fine print on your AX card information recently? Two years ago I got a new (Gold, Corporate) AX card, and as I always do, I read every last word on that explanatory material they send you. They had discontinued CD insurance on car rentals in foreign countries. I've been using a gold VISA or Mastercard since. You might want to double-check the fine print.

May 2nd, 2001, 06:51 PM
Andy

St.Cirq--thanks for the input. I spoke to AX today and they do cover you in foreign countries for CDW-but they do have exceptions in some countries-ie.ITALY,IRELAND,ISREAL. I am only using a regular green AX card and they said I was covered and faxxed me the entire "insurance" coverage- all 4 pages of it. Lots of reading, but they do cover me. It may have been a change since you looked into it...I don't know. I asked the lady to explain what happens if I get in an accident-she said I may get billed by the car company until the estimator submits his bill-but that I wasn't to worry-If rental company wanted to charge me anything before I left the country, she said to put it on the card and then dispute it when I got back-ie. I wouldn't have to pay the bill, and by the time the estimate came in from Europe---which could take a month--AX would settle with the rental car agency and I wouldn't have anything to worry about. Sounds ok to me--what are your thoughts on it?