Insurance? Car Rental beginner :)

Sep 14th, 2000, 09:16 AM
Debbie

Insurance? Car Rental beginner :)

Hi
My trip to Ireland in November will be my first time renting a car outside of the US.

I have a Platinum MasterCard, so I shouldn't need to get the CDW from the car rental place right?
Has anyone had any problems with using a credit card for this coverage, in the case that a claim is made?
Is there any other insurance that I should get?
I have heard that side mirrors become traffic casualties with great regularity.

Thanks for all your help
Debbie

Sep 14th, 2000, 09:43 AM
Richard

My daughter and son-in-law just returned from Ireland. They rented a car thru Thrifty and used a platinum card but Thrifty demanded they buy insurance while a friend, also using platinum, rented from a different company with no such demand. In short, check with the rental companies when you check rates. I think you may have to buy theft insurance, mandatory in Ireland. Be sure to try Autoeurope and Kemwel for rates.

Sep 14th, 2000, 09:50 AM
xxx

Most credit cards cover collision insurance, though some do not do so internationally. Check with your issuer. Also, your regular liability insurance should cover you with an international rental, but you need to check to be sure. If you do not drive in the US and therefore do not have this insurance, you need to purchase it with the rantal agency.

Sep 14th, 2000, 09:55 AM
love2trvl

Hi Debbie:
My recent experience (8/00) was do not use Avis. Try Budget or a local Company like Dan Dooly. Avis refused to honor a written confirmation and after some convincing that the reservation was for real they then told me that I would have pay 300 irish pounds for CDW! Forget that! Stepped over to Budget. Car, no problem. Platimum MasterCard, no extra charge for CDW. You can check a few other counters when you get there. Have a great time!

Sep 14th, 2000, 10:03 AM
Peter

Ask the issuer of Your credit card to send you a booklet. Also ask them to inform you over the phone on what is your coverage - some expensive cars or of road may not be covered also there maybe limit for how many days they will cover as well as deductible (all those a different for each country type of card and issuer). You will usally get the same coverage (CDW vs Card). Although with Credit Card ins. you may have to get a police report when something happens. Note that CDW also have a deductable - which really means you may have to pay anyway for those side mirrors. Both you issuer and Car rental company will provide you with info which you can compare. I used both in past and found CDW kind of a waste of money.
As for car rental companies check more then one. As for AutoEurope - yes they do have good rates - but they are your middle man to a car renting company, so do shop around.

Sep 14th, 2000, 01:11 PM
Linda

We rented a car 6/30-7/8/00 and used a Gold Master Card to waive the CDW. We rented thru Dan Dooley. We picked up the incidental insurance for about #8 per day to cover any lost hub caps, scratches, bent mirrors, etc. The deductable would have been about $200 otherwise. We called MC and they sent us a letter stating they were liable, we did not have to show this when we picked up the car at the airport, but we had it with us. Yes,we saw several damaged vehicles. The country roads are very narrow, by American standards, and there are sheep, cows, tractors, buses and bikes causing you to often hug the side of the road which is a wall or thick shrubs. It was our first trip there and it was wonderful!! Are already thinking of a return visit in the next couple of years.

Sep 14th, 2000, 03:11 PM
Ed

Your credit card issuer is the only one who can answer your question with authority.

Ed

Sep 14th, 2000, 08:24 PM
Jack

Hey Ed -- Experience is sometimes alot better than authority

Sep 14th, 2000, 08:49 PM
debbie

I have the info from the MC web page, but thought that getting it in 'plain' english, with some personal opinions would be helpful.

thanks for all your comments.- keep them coming!
Debbie

Sep 15th, 2000, 03:31 AM
love2trvl

Hi Debbie:
I thought about your question and thought I would check my receipts etc and found that the Irish Tourist Board puts out a neat guide called Be Our Guest (call them, it's free) and almost all the auto rental agencies are listed and some have free-phone numbers. You can kind of comparision shop before you leave. I am not sure if you are flying into Shannon or Dublin so I wanted to let you know that my experience was in Dublin. I have spoken to friends who also tell me that in November you should be able to go to the different counters in the airport if you are not happy with the one you are dealing with. My MC bill arrived with $129.00 in USD for 1 week rental with the return at Shannon Airport. I hope this helps! Have a Great Trip!

Sep 15th, 2000, 05:39 AM
JoeC

Debbie, as others have noted, best to call the issuer of your credit card. Here is what I found when facing the same issue earlier this year on a European rental. I have a Shell Master Card. This card gives me a 5% discount on Shell gas purchases and 1% rebate on all other purchases. I have used it for many of my travel expenses. I contacted the credit card company and was told that my type of card is known as a "loyalty" card. It has no annual fee and gives rebates for using the card. In return, it does not provide any insurances on auto rentals. (This was probably in the fine print brochure that they sent me, but who reads that stuff.)I was told to use another non-loyalty card for my rental. I have used this Shell card for numerous rentals, always declining the insurances. The rental car company accepted my contract without question. I have been leaving myself open to financial disaster. Also, my auto insurance provider, State Farm, said that they provide no coverage for a rental in Europe.
Caveat emptor, as the saying goes. Continue doing your homework.

Sep 16th, 2000, 01:56 PM
Cat

Just to let you know --- I mainly use American Express and they told me that while they do not provide coverage in for Southern Ireland --- they do provide it for Northern Island. My Gold Visa card --- said they do provide CDW and are going to send me a brochure, but so far - it hasn't arrived.

Sep 24th, 2000, 08:01 PM
Cat

I'm still looking into the car rental and found out something that I thought I would pass on. Make sure that if the card company says it does carry CDW for international rentals -- that you check to make sure there are no exclusions for the country your going to. My Visa has CDW, BUT guess what --- as of a couple of months ago - they excluded Northern Ireland, Southern Ireland and Israel. It was in very small print when they finally sent me the brochure. When I enquired on the phone - they told me that it would cover it. So make sure you see it in writing!

Sep 29th, 2000, 01:09 PM
Valerie

MasterCard told me that I "may experience difficulty using (the CDW coverage) in ... Ireland." So, I had Avis (my chosen car rental) send me a rental confirmation stating that MasterCard coverage would be accepted. I have no idea if this will stand up in case of an accident (we're traveling in October). Good luck!

Sep 29th, 2000, 08:22 PM
Cat

Talked to my insurance agent and he said that even he buys the car insurance when he rents internationally because he has had people call him who hope they are covered through their policy with him (after the fact) and find out that they aren't. He said the insurance in other countries can be a real pain and the best thing to do is purchase insurance when you rent the car. (If you can't gurantee that your card will cover any thing that might happen). Valerie --- what time in October are you going? I'm headed that way the end of October (I hope!) and am trying to get all my ducks lined up before I go!

Sep 30th, 2000, 06:01 AM
Cathy

Valerie and Cat,
Jus a few words of wisdom about driving in Ireland in Oct. Make sure that you are fully insured as the road accident rate here is rising especially with the dark evening and miserable wet weather we have been having,

Have a good trip,

Cathy

Sep 30th, 2000, 07:37 PM
gail

When you check with your credit card co. and the car rental co., ask them WHICH CAR the collision coverage applies to: I found [after many very persistent questions] that the collision coverage through my credit card only applied to another person's car if I hit someone else, it did not cover the rental car I would be driving, and my own car insurance did not apply to a rental car in Europe. To get coverage for the car I would actually be driving in Europe, I was forced to purchase insurance through the rental agency.

Oct 3rd, 2000, 08:42 AM
Valerie

With all the talk of lost mirrors, etc., I decided to investigate rates inclusive of insurance. I got a good rate at Dan Dooley -- including additional drivers AND a zero deductible (so no worries if that mirror goes missing). The only drawback is that it's prepaid, so no more changing my mind.

Cat-- we're going in two weeks. I'd love to exchange ideas about plans and places to stay. Email me directly, if you'd like.

And thanks to everyone for their input. The insurance is a little more expensive, but I'm already benefitting from peace of mind.

Oct 3rd, 2000, 01:46 PM
Debbie

Valerie,
How did you get through to Dan Dooley. I have sent 2 emails with follow up questions and gotten no response ( more than 24 hrs ago!)

and tried their 1-800 number on Sunday - no answer.

Any hints on actually getting some feedback from them?

Debbie