Inspiring architecture for young teen daughter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We visited Hearst Castle in San Simeon yesterday and it was very interesting to learn
how W.R. Hearst was greatly inspired at the young age of 10 by his travels with his mother to Europe. My daughter, age 14, is starting to show quite an interest in architecture. Curious what you all think are some of the most spectacular and inspiring buildings to visit in Europe.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:38 AM

Pretty much all of Venice--architectural and artistic influences from the four corners of the world in one small area.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:42 AM

ALL of Barcelona
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:46 AM

1. Ste. Chappelle in Paris: magnificent stained glass.
2. Pont du Gard, near Nimes, France: the Roman aqueduct across the Gard River. Other Roman sites nearby in Nimes, Orange, and Arles.
3. Mont St. Michel: monastery perched on a small island in Normandy.
Our 12 and 13 year-old daughters visited #'s 1 and 3, and liked them both.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:48 AM

Prague.
Nuff said.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 12:11 PM

I'm an architect and most of our trips to Europe have been architecturally centered. Vienna is without a doubt the most beautiful city I've ever set foot in. (Prague is a trip waiting to happen. I'll let you know if I change my view. LOL)

<font color=#990033>~gnr~</font>
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 12:20 PM

Prague, a delight for many reasons, including its well-preserved Baroque city center.

Paris: Gothic delights such as Notre Dame, Ste Chapelle, and so many churches large and small. Charming 17th and 18th century architecture preserved in some of the old neighborhoods like the Marais and Ile St-Louis. Also some Roman ruins.
And within a day trip are cathedrals at Chartres, Rheims, Rouen, etc, not to mention the palace of Versailles, and the chateaux of the Loire Valley.

Florence: Renaissance architecture heaven, just a delight at every turn, not to mention the art

Venice: was at its height of power and art in the 15th century, it's a wonder what they had built and were still building while Columbus was 'discovering' America.

Rome: covers the milennia, really from the ancients to the modern, the Forum and Colosseum, and a wealth of church architecture and art as well.

Greece, obviously Athens with its Acropolis, and other temples on some of the islands.

http://www.GreatBuildings.com/gbc.html info on notable buildings, worldwide

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 02:00 PM

This website has an interesting array of classic and modern buildings listed

http://www.greatbuildings.com/places/europe.html

I think someone interested in architecture (or anything, for that matter) will find inspiration whereever they go. I think many of the cities and the way they are laid out are as inspiring as the individual buildings. The whole always seems greater than the sum of it's parts. There is great architecture in every great city. I'm still blown away by Paris every time.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 02:08 PM

For contemporary architecture, Berlin is one of the most interesting cities for visiting.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 03:22 PM

You will find a lot wherever you go.

For a mixture of both new and old, I don't think you can beat Paris.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 04:21 PM

Read &quot;The Grand Tour, Traveling the World with an Architects Eye&quot; by Henry Seidler, Taschen, 2003. For details, see www.taschen.com , or amazon.com.
This is a wonderful compilation of photographs of peak achievements in architecture that Seidler has taken in his travels around the world.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 05:36 PM

Fairy-tale Neuschwanstein Castle in fussen germany. Ersatz medieval castle with a surprise at every turn. Folks are going to criticize this as bogus architecture but if she like Hearst's Xanandu she'll love Neuschwanstein.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 07:05 PM

Neuschwanstein is a fantastic confection born of a tortured mind. Certainly well worth seeing in its beautiful natural setting. And with the bonus of Hohenschwangau, the family castle, just across the little valley. The history of the Ludwig and his castles is fascinating.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 03:46 AM

The Guggenheim in Bilbao.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 04:41 AM
ira

Chartres Cathedral

Old Dec 29th, 2004, 04:59 AM
rex

Assuming that Venice is on the list of destinations, then definitely make the short side trip with her to Villa Capra (&quot;La Rotonda&quot by Palladio - - http://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/rotonda/rotonda.html - - the model for pretty much every capitol building in the United States.

But of course, Rome (and the Pantheon, just to mention one seminal site in particular) and the Vatican - - plus Florence - - are equally important. The book, Brunelleschi's Dome is an excellent read for any visit to Italy (but specifically Florence).

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 05:01 AM

lovetotravel2, there are Cistercian abbeys scattered like raindrops all over Europe, some of which are open for visits. The earliest ones were simple, Romanesque designs, typically nestled in isolated valleys. They are hauntingly beautiful. (The frequently-photographed Abbye de S&eacute;nanque is a excellent example.) If you happen to be anywhere near one, it might well be worth the effort to take a look. Judging by the number of related books I have purchased since seeing our first Cistercian abbey in Languedoc, they certainly moved me!

Anselm
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 05:49 AM
DRJ

As an architect, Piazza San Marco in Venice is, IMO, the most magnificent space in the world. I tear up every time I enter.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 05:59 AM

DRJ
I think it was Napoleon who pronounced Piazza SM 'the salon of Europe.&quot;
That was probably just before he started stealing things from there to send back to Paris. &gt;-)
Venice did get some of them back later.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 06:06 AM
ira

Also Frederiksborg Castle in Denmark.

http://cruises.about.com/cs/europe/a/frederiksborg.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -