Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Insight Vacations (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/insight-vacations-749727/)

mbagal Nov 20th, 2007 03:18 PM

Insight Vacations

My daughter and I have been wanting to take a trip to Europe. I saw an advertisement for a trip through Insight Vacations that would visit the following countries in 13 days: England, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, and France. If we go, we would be leaving on February 28 and arriving back in the states on March 11. What is the weather like in Europe during this timeframe? Is this tour worth the $2699 per person that Insight will be charging? Has anyone out there been on an Insight Tour? Any information is very appreciated.

P_M Nov 20th, 2007 03:49 PM

Temps will be very cold but bearable for most people.

I think this tour is a sad waste of money and vacation time. You will be visiting 8 countries in only 13 days and that's ridiculously rushed. There's so much to see in each of these countries and you will be averaging less than 2 days in each country. You'll barely get there and get oriented when it's time to move on. Sure, you will be able to come home and truthfully say you've been there, but you will see these places mostly through the window of a moving bus. Please consider something else where you can actually experience the places you are visiting.

GaryCA Nov 20th, 2007 03:58 PM

I have to agree. Consider something involving two countries at the most for that amount of time.

nytraveler Nov 20th, 2007 04:41 PM

This will be a gigantic waste of time and money. In 13 days you can reasonably see 3 cities (esp in the winter with bad weather and short days). All you'll see is the inside of a bus for VERY long hours, drive by a lot of sites (or get a 5 minute photo stop) and get to know the other tour members a lot better than you wil anything in europe.

Be prepared for lots of 6 am starts and hotels at the end of hell and gone.

kybourbon Nov 20th, 2007 06:06 PM

Look for a tour that spends at least 3 nights in each city. Insight has other tours that aren't as hectic. How about a London, Paris, Rome?

RosemaryM Nov 20th, 2007 06:38 PM

Hi mbagal
I have just returned from two Insight tours. The first was 16 days in Scandinavia, divided between Denmark, Sweden and Norway with the largest component being Norway. We had a great time. The company was pleasant and the coach very comfortable with more legroom than any I have been in. The mix of scenic and man made wonders was well balanced and, although we opted to take some of the optional excursions, it was by no means necessary.
The second tour was Country Roads of Austria Bavaria and Switzerland. We thoroughly enjoyed this tour. Great sites, good hotels in generally central locations and wonderful scenery.
We choose to take coach tours of non UK countries because as Australians, driving on the opposite side of the road is daunting and I am the world's worst navigator. Also you both get to see things apart from the road.
That said, I do tend to agree that tours that take in so many countries will possibly be unsatisfying to you. My other experience with Insight, some ten years ago were tours of France and Italy respectively and concentrated on those countries and that was preferable I think.

Rosemary

mbagal Nov 21st, 2007 06:55 AM

Thanks to all for your comments. It will be a hard decision as to where or what we will decide in the end. We have 14 - 18 days marked for our trip. I realize that two days will be spent traveling to and from Europe. Two cities that are a must will be Paris and London. Since my daughter is an art lover, she has commented that she would also like to visit a city in Italy. Any suggestions as to what we should see in these cities, which city in Italy--Venice or Rome-- and is there a guided tour that would include these cities? Any information is appreciated.

jenblase Nov 21st, 2007 07:26 AM

You could easily do Paris and London on your own for 14 days. That is a perfect timeframe for this trip - 1 week in each. Or if you really want to add another city for art, consider adding Amsterdam for 3-4 days - there are some world class art works there. The Van Gogh museum filled with wonderful paintings and the Rijksmuseum with Rembrant and Vermeers. And everything would be pretty convenient for travel - take the Tunnel from London to Paris and then the highspeed train from Paris to Amsterdam.

Save Italy for another trip!

mbagal Nov 21st, 2007 12:01 PM

What a great idea, jenblase! Thanks. I never thought of Amsterdam.

What is recommended... a guided tour or just making our own plans and going from there?

Are there must sees in London, Paris and Amsterdam besides the famous Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, House of Parliment, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame Catherdal, Louvre, Van Gogh museum, the Rijksmuseum with Rembrant, and Vermeers?

This is the first time my daughter has been out of the country and I have only been to Paris once. Since this is her graduation gift from college, I would really like to make this a special trip for her. As always thanks for any information you can give.

cheryllj Nov 21st, 2007 12:40 PM

Most people on this board will tell you that you will get more out of your experience by traveling independently and planning the trip yourself, but of course guided tours are another option if you don't have the time or desire to plan your trip yourself.

London, Paris, and Amsterdam would be a great trip for 13 days - spend 4 nights in London, 5 in Paris and 4 in Amsterdam. And all of those cities have *many* more "must sees" than just the places on your list. You left out the Tower of London, the Musee d'Orsay, Sacre Coeur, and the Anne Frank house, just for starters.

worldinabag Nov 21st, 2007 02:07 PM

Hi

I took an Insight tour last year (Turkey) and can thoroughly recommend the company. TIP: when booking any tour, regardless of company, make sure that it is on a guaranteed departure date i.e it goes ahead regardless of numbers. Otherwise they reserve the right to cancel on you (it's in the fine print). Your travel agent can assist you with this.