Input on 8 days in Ireland August 2004?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pls don't get upset with this request: I'd really like some input on an 8 day itinerary in Ireland. We'll fly into Dublin and have a car; do not want to spend each night in a different village and hotel; like upscale hotels or resorts; want to do some sightseeing but also want some basic R and R after a hectic work schedule. Will have two teenagers with us. While surfing the web is fine for general stuff, I think getting recommendations from folks who've been there and done that are much more valuable. I also just don't have hours to search through a gazillion websites and tourist books. Thanks!
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 01:16 PM

I'm not a great source of information here - I've only been to Dublin on 2 different trips (business, don't have much time for sightseeing) - BUT for Dublin, I stayed at the Alexander Hotel (on Cumberland St). Very nice hotel - extremely nice staff - and nice walk to shopping district of Dublin - plus access to many tours. Unfortunately, the only part of Ireland I've seen - but it was a really nice hotel. GREAT showers...... The other thing I did that was neat was going to the Guinness Factory. Very neat place...
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

thanks - we've done some pretty hectic two weeks trips to france, Germany and Italy with no real downtime built in. While the touring is nice, this is also a vacation! I know the boys would love the guiness tour!!
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 01:49 PM

In dublin I prefer to stay at the Westbury if they have a good rate avaialble. It's a 4+* right in the heart of the shopping area and also close to Trinity college, Dublin Castle (great for kids - painless history) and several museums. (Dublin museums are good for teenagers because they're all fairly small - you can see/do inan hour or so before they get bored). The trendy Temple Bar district - drinks and/or dinner is also close by and just across the river is a shopping district the kids will love - records, trendy clothes etc. Be sure to have tea at Bewley's.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the info on Dublin - if we spend 2-3 days there, what would be a good area to visit after? Galway?
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 05:59 PM

Should you go "into the west" and explore Galway and its environs (about a three-hour non-stop drive from Dublin), you'd be hard pressed to do better than resting your weary bones at the welcoming and utterly memorable Fermoyle Lodge, located about 30 miles from Galway City. (See www.indigo.ie/hiddenireland/15.html).

Fermoyle is in a very rural part of County Galway, and it features lovely grounds and superb views from its dining room. Speaking of dining, the food on offer is first-rate. Plus, this accommodation makes for an ideal base from which to explore Connemara, Galway City, and a day-trip (or, better yet, an overnight stay) to the Aran Islands.

Best of luck.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 03:26 AM

Are you flying back out of Dublin? If you leave from Shannon Galway would be closer to there or you could stay one night at Bunratty before flying out.

I would think with teenagers 1st part of the trip in Dublin and the 2nd in Galway is perfect.

Both hotels mentioned above for Dublin are good but the Westbury Hotel is just off the main shopping street and probably more lively for the kids. Its ok for them to wander around this area even in the evenings.

I would not keep a car in the city but only pick up when you leave Dublin. You can get busses for day trips to specific areas. If you must have a car then I would not recommend City Centre. There is a lot of traffic problems with the Lewis tram system being built and to be honest its too risky especially if you are not used to driving on the opposite side of the road. Its not worth the stress or getting into an accident. Driving in the city is a nightmare if you do not know the streets. If you rent a car you could stay southside of Dublin in the Burlington Hotel, Jurys Ballsbridge, Herbert Park Hotel, Bewleys hotel beside the RDS. They are just a 10 minute taxi risde to the ceity centre same for a bus.

In Galway I can suggest what we did this summer. I would stay in Galway city one night and then head to Spiddal (1/2 hour outsde the city in a small village) this is the start of Connemara. I would book a B&B in the village and during the day fly over to Inish mor. You can take a ferry but flying takes only 10 minutes versus an hour and its not too pricey. On the island you can rent bikes or take a horsedrawn tour of the island. There is a heritage site at the opposite end of an old fort. Its great on a nice day. You can opt to stay the night in one of the B&B's onthe island. You won't get 4 star here but they are very friendly. I stayed 2 nights on the islansd this summer and enjoyed it.