Innsbruk vs. Salzburg

Apr 24th, 2001, 06:21 AM
curious

Innsbruk vs. Salzburg

I have reviewed a number of Austria/Tyrol/Bavaria posts. Some posters have suggested that although Innsbruk is dogged on this post, it is a very enjoyable city. One criticism is that it is "touristy". That doesn't give me much to make a decision on (much of Europe is touristy, for good reason). Salzburg, on the other hand, seems to get glowing reviews, but most reviews of Salzburg are predicated with references to Mozart or the Sound of Music. While we like both Mozart and the SOM (wife), it is not the purpose of our travels. We are looking at visiting Austria (hopefully) in early fall. So, please weigh in with the positive/negative aspects of Innsbruk and Salzburg. Thx.

Apr 24th, 2001, 07:34 AM
a

i spent about a 1/2 day in salzburg and a couple of days in innsbruk about 10 yrs ago. salzburg has a lot of charm and feels more 'old' and 'european'. Innsbruk i found to be cold and had no charm (in the city itself). although i think it does have good hiking in the mountains. i did take a tour of the sight of the olympics and that was very picturesque. i suppose in the winter it would be more charming.

Apr 24th, 2001, 08:24 AM
Anna

Innsbruck is right in the middle of the mountains while Salzburg is on the edge. Which one you would like best depends on what you like to do and how long you have to do it. Innsbruck has a very small but charming Old Town area, which is often packed with tourists. You need to get out into the mountains or take daytrips to really enjoy it, and, of course, there are lots of winter sports in the winter. Salzburg, on the other hand, has more area to expore in the city itself, lots of music concerts, interesting historical sights, etc. There are lots of interesting sidetrips nearby also. I personally think Salzburg is more appealing unless you really love being in the mountains. Be aware that many people HATE Salzburg also, mostly because of too many tourists. Luckily, Salzburg is big enough that you can get away from them and just wander around and soak up the atmosphere.

Apr 24th, 2001, 09:36 AM
steve

My vote goes to Salzburg.
we spent 3 days there and loved every minute. Innsbruck needs about a half a day.

Apr 24th, 2001, 10:02 AM
jbering

I was in Salzburg and Innsbruck last May/June. I spent an afternoon in Innsbruck - that's all you need. There are more things to see and do in Salzburg and its surroundings.

It's worth just "stopping by" Innsbruck.

Apr 24th, 2001, 10:20 AM
rob

To me, the best parts about Innsbruck are how the city is surrounded by mountains and how accessible those mountains are. From just north of downtown, you can take a funicular to a couple of cable cars and be right at the top of a 7800 foot mountain. I think that's great. Otherwise, definitely Salzburg.