Innsbruck to Barcelona

Search

Innsbruck to Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Innsbruck to Barcelona

Hi there, I am going to be in Innsbruck in Mid- April and have to get to Barcelona. What's the least expensive way to get there. I have some flexibility on time so it could take a few days and that would be fine. Car rental?? train?? fly?? Any thoughts out there. Thanks
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 07:01 PM
rex

Flying wins hands down, for this route - - once you get yourself to Munich, which isn't far away from Innsbruck. Probably worth the 7 hr layover to fly via London (Stansted), on easyjet.com - - for example (though AirBerlin.com serves MUC-STN also) - - for more info see www.whichbudget.com

I found fare as low as 18 euro + 18 GBP, all taxes and fees included. No ground transportation would be less than 3 or 4 times that.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks Rex, I will check that out. I appreciate your thoughta.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 07:12 PM

This may seem a little screwy, but I would fly. The cheapest route seems to be to take Easy Jet from Munich to London Stansted and London Stansted to Barcelona.

By train it is a 17 hour trip with 3 changes and a very early or a very late arrival.

the train trip to Munich and the trip to the airport would be about 3 to 4 hours which is a downer.

The other way is to go at it slowly.
Go to Paris, spend a day or two,then go to Barcelona.
There is no direct train from Paris to Barceloa, but you have to change something no matter how you go about it.

Perhaps someone else has a better idea.

i would say drive it, but dropping a car in a country different from the one in which you rent gets to be costly.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 11:24 PM

There IS a direct train from Paris to Barcelona but it is a TrenHotel night service; during daylight hours you would have to change.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 11:44 PM

Here's another alternative: train from Innsbruck to Geneva (you change once..in Zurich) and the whole trip takes about 6 hrs 45 minutes including the change. Great scenery along the way over the Aarlberg Pass out of Austria into Switzerland.

Fly on EasyJet non-stop from Geneva to Barcelona...you can do the entire thing in one long day if you plan it right. The train to Geneva from Zurich terminates at the airport.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 08:25 AM

OOPS I missed the flight directly from Geneva to Barcelona. Clumsy. I should have known because I am flying out of Geneva in a few weeks myself, except I am headed to Gatwick.

The flight leaves at 10:00 and again at 16:05. Scheduled time is about 90 minutes and the airfare is
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 08:37 AM

OOPS I missed the flight direct from Geneva to Barcelona. Clumsy. I should have known because I am flying out of Geneva in a few weeks myself, except I am headed to Gatwick.

The flight leaves at 10:00 and again at 16:05. Scheduled time is about 90 minutes and the airfare is a function of how soon you buy and when you fly. Quite a variation: 116 chf to 206 chf based on date and time.

The train from Innsbruck to Geneva airport is 6 hours and 45 minutes depending on which connection you take.

The 8:39 departure from Innsbruck goes every day. The change in Zürich is not bad time wise.

Yep. There is a night train from Paris. It takes nearly 12 hours; the shortest day/ pre midnight arrival takes 8 hours, 24 minutes with one change.

I think my aversion to night trains where you sit going nowhere caused me to ignore it.

How I missed the direct flight to Barcelona is unknown. We will chalk that one up to old age and bad eyesight.

It bothers me because I might miss an important one one of these days. I know that I looked at the EasyJet flights out of Geneva to see whereall I could go before I booked the flight to Gatwick.