Inn-small winery in Tuscany, NW Umbria?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning to stay in Tuscany or NW Umbria area. I'm looking for a small to medium sized hotel/inn that also makes wine and/or is a winery. I'm a winemaker and I'm sort of looking for a "bus-persons" holiday for this part of the trip. If they serve great food, or have good restaurant's near-by that would be perfect. I plan to stay 3 or 4 nights.
Any recommendations?
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 11:20 AM

Check this place out: www.crociani.it

It is a winery in the town of Montepulciano. We stayed in an apartment across the street from them and bought a case of their Nobile di Montepulciano Reserve this past September. Click on the hospitality tab. They have a place in town.

I also got a postcard from them a few months back. Sometime this summer they are opening up some new apartments in the countryside called Il Cantastorie agriturismo.

Montepulciano has some great restaurants in town. Good luck.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Budan. Did you have much interraction with the winery, or was the apartment set up separately?
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 10:11 AM

We stayed in the Politian apartments which was almost directly across the street. http://www.politian.com/

I took a tour of their wine cave, chatted with family members, and walked across the street almost daily filling up my empty bottled with their vino da tavola -- 1 Euro per bottle. Great stuff. I died and went to heaven.

I'm not exactly sure where the crociani apartment is located (I believe it's in the town) nor where their agriturismo is located -- but the agriturismo can't be far from town -- their brochure says it is set in the midst of vineyards with Montepulciano in the distance.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 06:29 PM

Colle Lungo the Chianti is a good place. It is an upscale agriturismo and also a small winery. http://www.collelungo.com We have stayed there and so can recommend it.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 11:54 AM

I agree with the choice of Collelungo except that the owners usually require a week's stay. Perhaps they would be lenient in low season. Collelungo has received very good press of late (about their Chianti) and the nearby village of Castellina is a delight to visit.

You might also consider a stay in either Montalcino or, as mentioned above, Montepulciano. In the city of Montalcino I can recommend the B&B, Porta Castellana, www.portacastellana.it. As for Montepulciano, I am renting one of the Politian Apartments for an upcoming April trip - have read many good things about them here and on Slow Travel. Last autumn I drove through incredibly beautiful countryside to a vineyard in nearby Acquaviva and look forward to returning this spring.

Either location would be perfect for visiting local vineyards and within the cities are winery-owned tasting rooms, wine bars, restaurants and shops that would certainly satisfy anyone interested in wine and great food.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Good information - thanks. This brings up an additional question. Where I live (No. CA) you can pretty much drive up to a winery and taste wine (an buy a few bottles for their time, etc.) - is it much the same in Italy?
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 06:03 PM

It's not the same as No California. There are some wineries that have signs that say open to the public/sell direct to the public in Italian. Both wine and olive oil. They are few and far between. You have to stop at a local enoteca or wine shop to taste.

We did find one off a gravel road that has some very good Brunello and bought a couple of bottles.