Jacket/tie for dinner in France?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in France for 2 weeks in Sept, and just starting to get a packing list together. My husband wonders if he should bring dress shoes, jacket and tie for dinners? I think he can get away with nice short sleeved shirt and grey slacks. Would hate to have to pack extra black shoes and jacket if it is not necessary - but he does like dressing nicely and fitting in!
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 11:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Where are you going in France?
We've been going to France for years & my husband wears a sport coat on the plane & packs 2 dress shirts (more casual type, stripes, checks, etc.) no tie, and he fits in any of the places we go for dinner.

We'll be in Paris in Sept......could be warm, could be a bit cooler & need a jacket at night anyway.

If you're planning a very upscale dinner in Paris he may need a coat & tie.

Just one Fodorite's opinion.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 12:06 PM

I never wear a tie. A dam every week in a French restaurant.
Am wearing a jacket 5% of the time.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 02:59 PM

It depends on the place. Even at Michelin starred restaurants, I see a whole range of what people wear: from slacks and shirts, with sweater, sport coat, or suits. Those catering to traditional business people would naturally have a lot of business diners with suits.
For clothing expectations, they sometimes slip in some verbiage in inconspicuous part of webpages. Sometimes you see them when you click the reservations button. You might see wordings such as "Appropriate dress code ... T shirts, shorts and sports clothes will be refused," "Formal dress required," "For men, a jacket is required for dinner." etc.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 05:27 PM

Depends completely on where you will be eating. At pleasant restaurants - yes with linens and crystal - suit and tie are not necessary.

At some very upscale places they do require a jacket but does not need to be a suit or tie and a more colorful shirt is fine. Not sure what you mean bey "dress shoes" - to me that would be those going with a tuxedo. Should be real shoes rather than sneakers - but loafers or similar would be fine.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 05:28 PM

If in doubt check the web site for either specific instruction or photos of diners.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 11:22 PM

Your husband will probably need a long-sleeved shirt and possibly a cardigan or pull-over sweater in September. This would get you in anywhere in Paris.

No tie or sports coat unless eating in a place that costs more than 100 EU per person, without wine. "Big deal" restaurants like Tour d'Argent, etc, put on a show for their customers and expect that they will play their part and dress up to make it fun for everyone.

Shoes do not matter - absolutely nobody will look at anyone's feet. You can always claim you had bunion surgery.
Old Jul 3rd, 2016, 01:25 AM

I would emphasize having a long-sleeved shirt or two. Brooks Brothers no iron cotton shirts are great because they look good after hand washing.

My memory doesn't show nearly as many short sleeve shirts in Paris as in the US, though I have worn a black blazer over a black t-shirt without provoking negative reaction.

If your husband is good-looking and wants to be on trend, a black blazer over a white shirt; dark trousers, even jeans; and a two day beard will make him fit right in!
Old Jul 3rd, 2016, 02:15 AM

I'd turn the question around. I wear casual clothes on holidays, and never pack a tie. I might describe my style as ranging between "smart casual" and "downright scruffy". I have never had a problem with dress codes in restaurants, even those that offer a proper dining experience. And if I found a place that didn't suit how I dress, then I'd simply go somewhere else - and not feel disappointed.
Old Jul 3rd, 2016, 04:05 AM

Listen to the Europeans here in this thread - we are eating every week in fine restaurants.

Jackets and ties are worn by business people.

Those who can afford to pay for themselves wear what Americans call "smart casual".

(Same with hotels. In luxury hotels, you hardly find a gentleman wearing a suit, let alone a tie. Suits and ties are typical for business hotels like Hilton, Marriott etc.).

In Europe, it is not the dress code that counts but the overall impression you make.

I have seen men in shorts in Michelin-starred restaurants (admittedly on hot days), but they managed to look quite elegant with short-sleeved polo shirts and decent shoes and were treated well by the waitstaff and the chef.

Even in 3-Michelin-star restaurants I had worn short-sleeved polo shirts, and often, when you appear with a jacket, the waitstuff will offer to take the jacket to the cloakroom. So why packing a jacket into a suitcase when it lands in the cloakroom anyway?

If you really want to behave bad in a fine French restaurant, then order cola and ketchup!

If you order a set menu and a bottle of wine, you will be treated well. It is not necessary to order a grand cru classé (everyone can do that). The true connaisseur is able to find excellent drops at the upper end of the wine list.
Old Jul 3rd, 2016, 04:14 AM

"My husband wonders if he should bring dress shoes, jacket and tie for dinners?"

Nope. He can even wear shorts.
Old Jul 3rd, 2016, 06:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I always bring a blazer, though I agree with those above who say it isn't necessary. I like the extra pockets when traveling. I no longer pack a tie. I never wear shorts in any city, period. It's my contribution to urban beautification.
Old Jul 3rd, 2016, 06:19 AM

I think that if anyone is insecure enough to ask about wardrobe options on a public travel forum, this means that he/she probably could not (or wouldn't want to) carry off the "m'as-tu vu?" attitude required when going to high-class restaurants wearing shorts and a polo shirt.

Most of "those customers" are VIPs, and well-known to the staff.

I've seen otherwise perfectly respectable people turned away at popular Parisian bistros because the men were wearing tank tops and shorts.
Old Jul 3rd, 2016, 06:21 AM

A tank top is a no-go.

And I cannot imagine a respectable person wearing one.
Old Jul 3rd, 2016, 06:22 AM

My husband usually wears a sports coat and he likes wearing a tie (never has to dress up for work, so enjoys doing so on vacation). He will often do this and wear very dark, nice jeans .That said, we are usually over-dressed for most restaurants that we go to.
Old Jul 3rd, 2016, 06:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I gave up wearing ties when I reached 50. I felt that if the President of Iran could get away with it, so could I.

I only pack a jacket if Mrs B wants me to, so for a wedding or a party.

Shiny shoes, never was in the military.

I visit Frane most every year for the past 40. I guess I've worn a jacket on 4 occasions, nearly always because I have driven by car from the UK.

I once took a Jacket to the states, never again.

I would not schlep (by air) a Jacket or shiny shoes to France to make some maitre de happy. If he has a problem he will find me a Jacket or I'll eat elsewhere and since I normally eat Michelin 1 star at least once a trip (sometimes more) I have never been asked to do so.

But do say hello and goodbye to the staff.
Old Jul 3rd, 2016, 06:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tell to "GOOGLE" images

france restaurant or cafe or bistro

You might also add the name of town where you'll be.

He should get the idea.
Old Jul 3rd, 2016, 06:46 AM

Just to address one issue, IME, short-sleeved shirts, whether polo or cotton, are uncommon with French men, except for rural inhabitants at a communal dinner or barbecue, in which case they consider that a nod to "getting dressed up." Plus, September weather could very well not be suited to short sleeves.

Jacket, tie, and "dress shoes" are unnecessary, though you are likely to see some very nice men's footwear in France. Maybe he'd like to buy a pair there, NOT shiny ones.
Old Jul 3rd, 2016, 07:17 AM

<i> I gave up wearing ties when I reached 50. I felt that if the President of Iran could get away with it, so could I. </i>

My husband thinks that Sergio Marchionne (CEO of Fiat Chrysler) is copying his style of dress, never anything more formal than a sweater and sports shirt. He only wears a tie to weddings of immediate nuclear family members.

<i> I only pack a jacket if Mrs B wants me to, so for a wedding or a party.
</i>

If I suggested that my husband pack a jacket, he would tell me to go alone and leave him at home.
Old Jul 3rd, 2016, 07:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
bvlenci

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -