Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Information on the area of Hauptbahnoff (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/information-on-the-area-of-hauptbahnoff-493570/)

Jenn906 Jan 7th, 2005 04:56 PM

Information on the area of Hauptbahnoff

We're considering a stay in a hotel near the Hauptbahnoff. Can anyone give us information on the neighborhood? Is it safe? We've read conflicting information and would like an inside point of view. Thanks!

HowardR Jan 7th, 2005 05:01 PM

What city in Germany?

maryanne1 Jan 7th, 2005 05:01 PM

I never felt unsafe thee when we stayed at the Le Meridien Hotel right across from the train station in Munich. We walked around the station to restaurants and the department store Herties.

indytravel Jan 7th, 2005 05:02 PM

The Hauptbahnhof in Leipzig is a great place. Lots of shopping and dining options. The neighborhood to the northeast of it is not so great. I wouldn't walk up that way after dark.

jeffwill4you Jan 7th, 2005 05:05 PM

That means, The Main station! We also stayed at the Le Meridien in Munich and Amsterdam as well! Did you take the red and yellow boxes of shower stuff home with you? We did LOL

tedgale Jan 7th, 2005 05:08 PM

I would be reluctant to stay around the Hauptbahnhof -- one of the less appealing parts of Frankfurt, IMO.

AisleSeat Jan 7th, 2005 05:12 PM

I'll make a leap and assume you are talking about Munich. The area around the main train station has several great budget hotels. La Meridian, Drei Lowen, Drei Lowen Residence, Germania, Deutsches Theatre, and a little further away (5-6 blocks) the Uhland. The area has several sex shops and strip joints and therefore an occasional seedy charachter in the evening hours. I don't think of it as unsafe but I would tell my daughter to go with a friend at night rather than alone, as I would in the downtown area of any city in the world.

The Hauptbahnhof area is a great jumping off point for the fussganger (pedestrian)zone that starts at Karlstor. All in all my wife and I always stay in that area at the Drei Lowen Residence or the Uhland and we feel like Munich is a very safe city. Enjoy your trip. Be sure to have a meal at the Augestiner down in the Fussganger zone. It's very Bavarian. Try the weisswurst.

bob_brown Jan 7th, 2005 05:20 PM

Der Hauptbahnhof could be in Switzerland or Austria as well.
I like the one in Zürich.
Stuttgart is not a bad place either.
At least it is not in Vienna!
That city did not have one the last time I looked at a map.

Come to think of it, does Berlin have a Hbf? There is an East and a Zoo.

tedgale Jan 7th, 2005 05:23 PM

Vienna has W. Sudbahnhof, W. Westbahnhof and Wien Mitte but no Hbf that I know of...

RufusTFirefly Jan 7th, 2005 05:39 PM

Is that Der Sexshop or Die Sexshop? Das Sexshop?

Jenn906 Jan 7th, 2005 06:22 PM

Thanks for the replies. The input is appreciated =o) It sounds like any large city with train stations, always be aware of our surroundings and we should be fine.

martytravels Jan 7th, 2005 06:24 PM

Huh?

bob_brown Jan 7th, 2005 06:32 PM

Hi Rufus T. (any relation to Ernest T.?)

My reliable Harper Collins German-English Unabridged Dictionary says it is der Sexshop.

The little m is clear enough.

The plural however is die Sexshops.
But die is the plural nominative form definite article for all German nouns.

Or it could be den Sexshop if the term is used as the direct object or used with a preposition indicating motion towards the establishment.

German two way prepositions escape my conscious memory at the moment, which, at the moment, is resisting any data searches.

I am still trying to figure out where der Hauptbahnhof is. The last I remember it was "dort gegenüber".
The last time I heard that, however, I was in Bremen, and I am sure there is more than one of those edifices in Germany, e.g. München has one I know.
So does Zürich, which isn't in Germany unless something has happened since last September.

bob_brown Jan 7th, 2005 06:40 PM

Well, garbage in; garbage out.

Patrick Jan 7th, 2005 06:56 PM

Am I crazy or did the original poster return and still not clear up what city she was asking about?

hopscotch Jan 7th, 2005 08:37 PM

I prefer the Hotel Eingang. It's on Einbahnstrasse around the corner from the Hauptbahnhof.

Huitres Jan 7th, 2005 08:41 PM

Presumably you are speaking of the Hauptbahnoff is in Munchen? That is what immediately came to my mind. In Munchen, the area is not that bad, I am sure there is a decent hotel within walking distance to the station that is clean and affordable. I have always stayed in Munchen or with friends outside the area near Fussen.

HuisClos Jan 7th, 2005 08:45 PM

Patrick, you are not crazy. Yes she did and no she didn't!

CarolJean Jan 7th, 2005 10:50 PM

Hopscotch
I love it!! Gute reise! CJ

Intrepid1 Jan 8th, 2005 01:09 AM

OK! OK!!!! I admit it! When we recently stayed in LeMeridien across from the Munich Hauptbahnoff our room WAS a sexshop. I'm just glad the place is air conditioned.