Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   information on Munch (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/information-on-munch-91940/)

Cathy Luce Oct 29th, 2000 05:17 PM

information on Munch

Where can I find information on hotels in Munich? A hotel for a business stay.I would general information on car rental, restaurants,customs,places of interst,nearest American Embassy.Does anyone have any suggestions?

wes fowler Oct 29th, 2000 06:22 PM

Cathy, <BR>Start with a good guide book, available from your book store or library. Look to Fodor's, Frommer's, Michelin's Guides to Germany; Fodor also has a guide specifically for Munich. As an alternative, check the website: <BR>www.munich-tourist.de All of the major auto rental companies have websites,i.e. Hertz, Avis, National, Alamo, Kemwel, AutoEurope although you neither need nor should want an auto in Munich.

Miriam Oct 29th, 2000 11:14 PM

Hello Cathy, <BR> <BR>you didn`t specify if you have to be in the city center or if the business date is in the outskirts. <BR>If you don`t care to be directly near Marienplatz I always recommend the Marriott, Berliner Strasse 93, Tel. 089-360020. It`s an easy drive from the Airport and there`s a U-Bahn station right across the street. Schwabing, where you`ll find a lot of bars and restaurants is even walkable from there. <BR>If you want to be closer to the center I would recommend the "Kempinski Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten" which on the famous Maximiliansstrasse 17, Tel. 089-21250. <BR> <BR>You can rent a car at the Airport and drive to both hotels or take the S-Bahn and let a car be delivered to your hotel. You should consider the fact that Munich Airport is quite far away from the city center. <BR> <BR>I know other good hotels, if the location of your business date is in the suburbs. <BR> <BR>Have fun <BR> <BR>Miriam

Angela Oct 29th, 2000 11:29 PM

Cathy <BR>A site I have used before is <BR>www.travelweb.com <BR>www.placestostay.com is also OK but not as good as Travelweb. Places to stay give details on Steigenberger hotels (German first class brand) where Travelweb don't. <BR>Both give details on the hotels and their locations ect and Travelweb give the hotel/hotel groups own web site if they have one. You can reserve a room online also. <BR>Angela

Bill Oct 30th, 2000 05:41 AM

I would also recommend the Marriott on Berliner Strasse 93. It is a typical Marriott, no suprises, and since you sound like a first time traveler may be a good choice for you. The above post is off a bit on the U-Bahn station though. It is not right across the street but rather down a block and 1/2. Walk out of lobby of hotel, turn left down street for 1 1/2 blocks, then turn right and it is right there. There is also a nice littel bakery 1/2 block down the same direction right on corner with excellent pastries, etc. Easy ride to center of town on U-Bahn. <BR> <BR>Car rental was accomplished at Hertz downtown in the main train station. It might be possible to have one delivered to the hotel, but I didn't check on that. <BR> <BR>Anyway the Marriot is good choice for business hotel. Nice quiet area and easy to get around.

wes fowler Oct 30th, 2000 02:12 PM

Cathy, <BR>Just noticed you're looking for the address of the American Embassy as well as auto rental and hotel info. You won't find the embassy in Munich; it's either in Berlin or has yet to move from Bonn. You may find an American consulate in Munich, however.

Miriam Oct 31st, 2000 04:27 AM

Hi Bill, <BR> <BR>you`re right, it`s not across the street. I remembered it to be very close that`s how I came to this conclusion. But the walk will take only 3 minutes anyway... <BR> <BR>Miriam

Ralf Hartwig Nov 1st, 2000 08:50 AM

You should try the Hotel "Platzl" in the center of the City, its very charmefull with a perfect service; very close to the Hofbräuhaus and the Marienplatz. <BR>You should take the S-Bahn-Train from the airport, cause the city of Munich is overcrowded with traffic. <BR>If you want to stay longer for sightseeing, ask at the tourist-information at the MArienplatz in the townhall for the Münchener Schlüssel. Most of the hotels have some rooms for a less price and you can get bonus checks. <BR>Have a nice stay