Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Information needed on what Florence/Tuscany are like in early June (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/information-needed-on-what-florence-tuscany-are-like-in-early-june-485555/)

seaside1 Nov 11th, 2004 08:48 AM

Information needed on what Florence/Tuscany are like in early June

We are planning to return to Florence/Tuscany in June 2006 -- I can't help myself I feel the urge to start planning now! We are thinking the first or second week. When I was there before it was mid-October. Still crowded in spots and a little rainy but over all very nice and pleasant. I was wondering what to expect in June. Is it unbearably crowded in Florence? Are Sunflowers in bloom? Thanks!!

Wayne Nov 11th, 2004 09:03 AM

You'll see all kinds of flowers. As for being busy or overcrowded, it's hard to predict except that the crowds seem to be bigger every year -- and you are going at one of the busiest times. So be prepared to become part of the masses during their summer migration. Good luck.

kmoncrief Nov 11th, 2004 02:08 PM

we went June 10th through the 27th. I thought Florence was ...busy..be sure to do the Uffizzi and David tickets ahead of time.Tusdacny was great,didnt see fields of sunflowers though.great weather..

Melissajoy Nov 11th, 2004 02:14 PM

Florence was unbearably crowded June 22, 23, and 24 of 2004. I learned the crowds were caused by 2 events: June 24 is calcio storico fiorentino, a traditional florentine celebration including play-offs of a ball game played in costume, and a parade and fireworks. We did see the parade and fireworks but to me it WASN'T WORTH putting up with the crowds in florence...even at 11:00 pm is was still crowded on the Ponte Vecchio!!!

Also the Pitti Uomo took place that week...that's an international fashion show that brings tons of people to florence. Hotel prices also go up during those days.

So try to avoid those 2 events, is my advice!

The weather was warm but pleasant...It didn't rain when we were there. In the city it always feels hotter than out in the country for some reason...all that concrete. Siena was very pleasant, I liked it better than Florence. The chianti area was delightful as well.

LoveItaly Nov 11th, 2004 09:46 PM

Weather wise I consider June a very beautiful month. In fact I am going in June. But weather wise it seems the whole world has been a bit strange lately. But think June is a good choice IMHO.

offlady Nov 11th, 2004 10:22 PM

We were in Florence during their still somewhat slow season--mid April, and already there were long lines at Uffizzi and David's. We went to David's statue first thing in the morning but there was already a line going around the block waiting for it to open. If that's slow season, then plan on wairer: in long lines in June.

Melissajoy Nov 12th, 2004 12:04 AM

Fortunately in Florence you don't need to wait in long lines for museums because you can make advance reservations for only a couple more euros! In fact the easiest way to do it is to book your hotel and then ask them to make the museum reservations for you, for the Uffizi Gallery and for the Accademia in florence (Michelangelo's David). (The hotel will e-mail you the reservation numbers. My hotel didn't charge me anything for this courtesy.) Best time to have a reservation for the Uffizi gallery is at the slower time; make the reservation for noon or 12:30. Best time to have a reservation for the accademia is in the afternoon around 3:00...make sure you check what time the museum closes on your chosen days. Then you go to a special door to get your tickets at the museums, you don't get in the regular lines. (You take your reservation number with you.) Often times the museum waves the extra charge for the museum reservation, if there isn't much of a line to get in. If there is a long line they will only charge you a couple extra euros for the reservation fee, over the price of the ticket.

jabez Nov 12th, 2004 04:20 AM

Went in June in 2003 and May 2004,
In 2003 it was very hot, but beautiful.May this year was much cooler and rainy with less crowds.
Overall, you never can tell with weather.
Enjoy planning!

caroline_edinburgh Nov 12th, 2004 05:27 AM

I've been to Tuscany a few times in June & the weather has been very variable - from cool (needing a sweater) & rainy to quite hot.

iamq Nov 12th, 2004 05:33 AM

melissa,
Thanks for the event info in Florence. I was aware of the fashion show, but not the festival. We will plan our trip to avoid those events.
-Bill