Reload this Page >

INFO ON VENICE-FOOD

Search

INFO ON VENICE-FOOD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 05:11 PM
Mary

INFO ON VENICE-FOOD

FOOD: Breakfast in the local 'bacaro' - coffee and a croissant was just L3,000. For lunch we had panini (toasted sandwiches), with a coffee and maybe a prosecco at the nearest bacaro. Get away from the main tourist areas - usually a matter of only a few metres down a side calle - look for one filled with locals - and you'll eat much better for much less.<BR>DINNER - 'Cheap Eats In Italy' is a great resource, but we also had some lucky finds! I'd highly recommend both Osteria Da Fiore & Ai Gondolieri for a more expensive night out (see Rants & Raves). Also a really fabulous place we just found by chance - Osteria Oliva Nera at Sallizada dei Greci, Castello (041 5222170). It's new and not in any guides yet - but it is just sensational. The pumpkin gnocchi with smoked cheese, fish and desserts were all to die for and they have a great wine list & they speak good English. Not cheap at L214,000 for the two of us - but well worth the money. <BR>For a slightly cheaper evening you should try the following (all prices are for 2 & include 2 courses, coffee & wine etc): Al Vecio Canton (Castello) L76,000 - it's main strength is its pizza, Ai Cugnai (Dorsoduro) - L150,000 - it's very much a locals haunt with very few tourists. Trattoria Pizzeria San Toma (San Polo) - we ate here twice & both times were great, although on the weekend some of the food was heated up in the microwave (including their famous Paella). I'd stick to the pizzas for a main course - L130,000. Ristoteca Oniga, Campo San Barnaba, Dorsoduro - L100,000 & Trattoria Dona Onesta, Calle Foscari, San Toma where despite a cuckoo clock as part of the decor we ate well for just L94,000.<BR>The one awful meal was at a place recommend by all the Guidebooks - it's obviously gone to their heads and the service, food and attitude was dreadful - I'd be keeping well away from Taverna San Trovaso (Dorsoduro) - see Rants & Raves for details.<BR>

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 05:20 PM
beth anderson

Hi, <BR><BR>Thank you for your tips...<BR><BR>What other guidebooks did you use, to find food... I had a HORRIBLE time finding something I liked - only one restaurant had decent food, that I could find. <BR><BR>I didn't eat very expensively, so maybe that was part of the problem. I relied on Time Out when I actually used a guidebook (none good) and just fell into the others - with only one success...<BR><BR>thanks<BR><BR>Beth

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 05:29 PM
Mary

We used "Cheap Eats in italy" which was really good for food. As guidebooks we used Foders, Access 'Florence & Venice' & Dorling Kindersley 'Venice & the Veneto'. I found that most of the Guidebooks only focus on the more expensive places - and while thats fine for the occasional meal, we were there for 11 days and needed to be a bit more realistic for some meals.

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 04:56 AM
Monica

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience at Taverna San Trovaso. I was there with my cousin just a few weeks ago. I had a delicious fried seafood antipasta followed by Tagliatelle with salmon in a cream sauce. Reenie had gnocchi to start and a fish platter; white wine, all for 90.500L/$42.47. My husband and I found this place back in 1998. <BR><BR>We also enjoyed pizza at Al Vecio Canton and dinner with fellow fodorite Julie and her friend Betsy at Ai Cugnai. <BR><BR>Our hotel manager recommended two places we enjoyed: Osteria da Alberto and Hosteria Al Vecio Bragosso. <BR><BR>And finally, a restaurant recommended in Frommers (I think) was Trattoria Tre Spiedi, filled quickly with locals.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 05:43 AM
elaine

Beth<BR><BR>I have also used "Time For Food--Venice", published by Thomas Cook.<BR>It's a small yellow book. Amazon has it. Lots of listings, even shopping and other hints.<BR>Each listing has a very brief but pithy comment, and it's organized by sestiere.

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 04:30 PM
Kay

Mary, Thanks to you and others for the great food info for Venice. I am going back and was hesitant because last time it was soooo expensive to eat!

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 01:16 AM
Alice

Mary, is the Osteria Oliva Nera a romantic spot? What is the decor like?

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 05:46 AM
Julie

I have heard several people mention (here and other places) that they have had some rather disappointing dining experiences in Venice and the primary complaints were price and quality. Although I haven't always been thrilled with everyplace that I've gone, I never felt I spent a huge amount on any meal that made me regret it. And I admit that although I am open to new places in Venice (have gotten a lot of recommendations on this site) I have my favorites that I always visit at least once while in Venice. They are:<BR><BR>Al Covo<BR>Campiello della Pescaria<BR>Castello, 3968 – 30122 Venezia, Italy<BR>041/5223812 phone<BR>Dinner can be very pricey here, though certainly worth it for a splurge. I always go for lunch where they have an excellent prix fixe menu and I always know I'm in good hands. Fulvio is a fabulous waiter who really knows his wines and doesn't believe you have to break the bank to have a good one.<BR><BR>Agli Alboretti<BR>D. D. Accademia, 884<BR>30123 Venezia, Italy<BR>041/5230058 phone<BR>041/5210158 fax<BR>[email protected] (e-mail address)<BR>This restaurant is part of a hotel (2*?) on that main street in the Dorsoduro on the left hand side going directly from the Accademia bridge and Accademia. It's very cozy, charming and moderately priced. They have a very attentive wait staff and a surprisingly (to me) innovative menu although you can still get traditional venetian dishes as well.<BR><BR>It was with Monica (a fellow fodorite I know you're all familiar with because of her excellent website, travelogues and photos) that I tried Ai Cugnai for the first time. It was very reasonably priced and as theatrical as enjoyable, mostly because of Monica & Reenie's company but more specifically because of our waitress, Eda, who kept us on our toes with her antics. I would certainly return here on my future travels to Venice!<BR><BR>Hopefully with all the information available on Venice dining no one will have to be overly disappointed and you will be able to find your own dependable nooks.<BR><BR>Elaine: Thanks for the tip on "Time For Food--Venice", published by Thomas Cook. Between everything that comes up here, I'll be looking into that as well for my next trip.<BR><BR><BR>

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 02:55 PM
Mary

Alice - no Osteria Oliva Nera is not what I'd call romantic. Just great food!

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 03:13 PM
Dayle

Another vote for Al Covo. Yes, dinner is very expensive, but worth every lira! It was the best meal I had on the last 3 week trip.