Info on tours in Bassano del Grappa

Old Dec 28th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Info on tours in Bassano del Grappa

During my week long stay in Venice in February, my friends and I were looking at a day trip to Bassano del Grappa for a tour of one of the grappa distilleries, called Capo Villa. We have tried e-mailing them for information on the tours, but never receive a reply back. I saw here that a lot of people recommend Bassano del Grappa, so I wondered if anyone could recommend another distillery for a tour, or is the grappa museum I saw mentioned a good enough substitute? Any other recommendations for things to see or do while there? Thanks!
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 08:32 AM
rex

I could have sworn that the <i><b>museo Civico</b></i> (which is <u>not the Grappa museum), had its own web site (it did a few years ago), but I can no longer find it.

Anyhow, here is a short mention I found at http://www.epinions.com/content_128315395716

During our visit, the Museo Civico had an exhibit of Antonio Canova's exquisite neo-classical marble sculptures and numerous sketches and drawings. This renowned artist was born in the neighboring town of Possagno and many of the artist's works have remained in this region since his death in 1822. The exhibit, which runs through April, 2004, features statues by the master that have traveled from as far away as Kiev and St. Petersburg to be part of this show, the first major retrospective of Canova's work. Even without the loan of artworks from world class museums such as the Hermitage, the Museo Civico has an impressive collection in its own right, including Canova's magnificent Italic Venus. The museum is easy to find, just off the Piazza Garibaldi and is well worth a visit.

I concur with what this &quot;reviewer&quot; has to say (though I did not see the extra temporary exhibit items in 2004, mentioned above).

References (on the internet) to the Grappa museum seem to be a bit more unkind.

This offers the most enthusiastic info I have located for now (on not one, but two choices of a &quot;Grappa museum&quot; in Bassano).

http://www.bootsnall.com/articles/05...eto-italy.html

There is an ancient posting here - - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...mp;tid=1304909 - - on which a poster named &quot;Dale&quot; refers favorably to Vittorio Capovilla.

A search on Google or Yahoo will yield you no shortage of hits on his name. Here is one that seems quite informative (includes a fax number for reserving a tour of his distilling operation) - - http://www.departures.com/ep/ep_0102_grappa.html

Enjoy.... and...

Best wishes,

Rex
</u>
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 09:08 AM
DRJ

I am the &quot;Dale&quot; that Rex refers to. I visited Vittorio Capovilla's distillery several years ago. It is located on the north edge of Bassano del Grappa. As I recall, you take the main street north out of the city and his place is a left turn. I believe he is well known so you should be able to ask some locals for directions.

He was featured in Italian Cooking and Living since he distills homegrown fruit. I think his grappa is OK, but his distilled fruits are dynamite. I just finished my last one so maybe a return trip is called for.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the information! I had tried &quot;googling&quot; the &quot;Capo Villa&quot;, and found their web site, but it was in Italian with no English version available. I will try the fax number to request a tour. The distilled fruits sound great!

The Museo Civico sounds wonderful also, so I will add that to our list of places to visit.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 12:24 PM
rex

oh my goodness... sorry for all the underlining!
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 02:07 PM

Jacopo Poli is among the most famous grappa distillers..you can try googling them.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 02:09 PM

Sorry, it is poligrappa.com. They have a museum of grappa as well.