Info on touring Spain and Portugal

Jun 15th, 2002, 10:11 AM
traveler

Info on touring Spain and Portugal

My husband and I are going to Spain in March. We will be trying to travel by train as we have previously in Europe. We will be spending 17 days. We definately want to hit Barcelona, Madrid, and Lisbon. We are thinking about Seville. Typically when visiting a new country we like to spend a week in one city a week in another and then two to three days in a very small town. Something quaint and out of the way. We are artists so architecture and art museums will be important. Any suggestions?

Jun 15th, 2002, 07:02 PM
Julie

For the small town you might consider Pedraza de la Sierra, a little northeast of Segovia. It' has only about 400 inhabitants but is adorable and has two nice hotels in town. Has its own square which can be made into a bull ring. For art and museums and architecture, I'd recommend Salamanca. It's a university town with vary harmonious buildings of apricot stone that catch the late afternoon sun rays just perfectly for a warm and rosy glow all over the city. The Plaza Major there is said to be one of the most beautiful in all of Spain and I believe it. There is a lovely art nouveau museum with stained glass tiles and great art nouveau pieces. That's all in the vicinity of Madrid but would require two separate stays, one for each city and might not leave room for as much time as you like in the 3 or 4 major cities you speak of visiting. At least something to consider.

Jun 21st, 2002, 10:01 AM
traveler

Thank you for your reply. I am adding these locations to my list to research.

Jun 21st, 2002, 10:14 AM
Graziella

Hi, I think that Karen Brown 's Charming Inns and Itineraries is a good book to find hidden places when you go from one well known city to another. It has helped me a lot to get good ideas, sometimes mixing one itinerary with the other....

Jun 21st, 2002, 10:26 AM
TRAVELER

THANK YOU