Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

info on special airport-to-London fares?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2002, 10:39 AM
elaine

Hi<BR>I had read in a magazine that Rail Europe is offering new fares for short-term visitors who want to get from Heathrow, Gatwick, or Stansted to central London. The round-trip fare must be completed within 5 days.<BR>The deal is round-trip fare of $20 US for Paddington Express, Gatwick Express, or Stansted Express. I went to the raileurope website and can't find anything on it, nor did they respond to last week's email. Since the price is quoted in dollars, I'm assuming it has to be purchased before traveling.<BR><BR>Anyone have any info or insights?

Old May 14th, 2002, 02:17 PM
xxx

call them on the 1800 number they provide.<BR>

Old May 19th, 2002, 08:46 PM
george

The special is now listed on the raileurope site. (Go to Britrail page, then to Gatwick Express). $20 round trip, but there is a $15 mailing/processing fee. Still worth it for my party of 6 (saving about $60 total after fees).

Old May 20th, 2002, 03:37 AM
Suzy

For groups, it acn be cheaper to hire a driver, who will take you right from the airport to your hotel, and help with luggage. Since they charge per trip rather than per paassenger, and you don't have cab fare fro mthe train station to the hotel, this can be cost-effective for groups of 3 or more.

Old May 20th, 2002, 04:30 AM
elaine

george<BR>I agree with the above.<BR>I believe you could hire in advance a driver and minivan to transport all of you for the same price or less.

Old May 20th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Lori

If there is more then one of you it is much more practical to hire a car driver service for pickup. We always use www.london-transfers.com - GREAT service. Ray Skinner is the owner and a delightful man. If you contact him tell him Lori & John recommended him. It's flat fee plus tip (at your discretion) and is door to door service. If you use the Heathrow Express or Gatwick Express you still must pay for a taxi to your hotel, it's not cost effective for more then one person.

Old May 20th, 2002, 07:46 PM
George

Thanks Suzy, Elaine and Lori. I am leaning toward the Gatwick Express, out of concern about traffic jams to Gatwick. We have a 9:30 am flight out of Gatwick on June 7, and are staying at a B&B near Victoria Station (the Windermere). I assume we would get to the airport 2 hours before our flight to Greece if we catch the Gatwick Express at 7:00. What time would we need to leave if we were to hire a driver?