Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   info on Lake Bracciano? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/info-on-lake-bracciano-434648/)

poss Sep 16th, 2008 06:38 AM

info on Lake Bracciano?

Does anyone know this area? We're trying to decide whether to visit it as an excursion from our Civitavecchia cruise stop. (Don't want to go into Rome.) Is it extremely beautiful (I know that's subjective), or just "another lake"? Is the area around it quite special? Does one feel like one is in Italy?
Thank you.

PalenQ Sep 16th, 2008 06:47 AM

I got off the train at Bracciano and looked around - it was winter so i did not go down to the large lake far below town - but Bracciano is an ancient town with an ancient castle overlooking the lake

Tom Cruise had been married in the castle just some weeks before - but nary a postcard or souvenir documenting that occasion to be found - i found that refreshing

I will like to go back and in warmer weather explore the lake, which had towns along it and boat service i believe in summer - a rather big lake and not too far from Civitavecchia by train

poss Sep 16th, 2008 12:14 PM

Thank you, PalenQ. Yes, I'd read that Tom Cruise was married there. I agree-- very nice that there's no hoopla.
Hoping to hear from others who have visited the area.

ekscrunchy Sep 16th, 2008 12:50 PM

http://www.lakebracciano.com/lakebra.../paesi_en.html

poss Sep 16th, 2008 01:39 PM

Yes, thank you. I've looked at many websites such as the one you suggested. What I'm hoping is to hear from tourists who've been there-- whether they much enjoyed the visit or thought it was just "ok." I do appreciate suggestions of all kinds.

vetralla Sep 17th, 2008 07:37 AM

I saw this question on another board and hoped someone would answer you who really knows the area.
I live in the area ( 40 min. from Civitavecchia- 20 from Tuscania and 30 from Bracciano) and know that you would enjoy the lake if its not a rainy day . The three towns that sit on its shores -Anguillara, Trevignano and Bracciano are all delightful and merit a visit. After seeing the castle you should drive around the lake and visit all three towns. The area is not touristy at all, mostly Romans use it as their weekend get away place. But there is not a train from Civitavecchia direct...the train that goes through town is the Viterbo-Rome train .
Your best bet is rent a car or hire a local driver /guide to take you for the day, make the circle of the lake, stop at one of the really good restaurants.
Another lake that is further north is Bolsena and it is my favorite in summer, spring for the wine road, the quiet laid back lifestyle . There are numerous towns -Gradoli, Bolsena, Valentano...each with its own personality. For more info on this area, itineraries, special places, gardens, castles to visit, you might like the Elegant Etruria website which recently won a quality web award.

poss Sep 17th, 2008 08:11 AM

Vetralla-- thanks terrifically for your reply-- very helpful indeed. In fact, the ship offers an excursion to the Bracciano area, so no problem with transportation. The tour visits Anguillara after Bracciano and then goes to "the area's Country Relais" property to learn about cheese making, have a tasting, etc. There's a different tour that goes to Toscania-- I've been going back and forth about which to do.
Thank you!

vetralla Sep 26th, 2008 05:36 AM

The Relais is definitely I Due Laghi which is a restaurant that caters to Sunday lunches for wealthy Romans.
It sounds like you would also love to see the wine making festival to be held in Vetralla on Oct. 4-5th that I wrote about in another mail.

vetralla Sep 26th, 2008 05:39 AM

I notice that the other option is Tuscania, another beautiful little town in our area. They probably will take you to an agirturismo to taste the extra virgin olive oil. Which ever you decide you will be getting a taste of this area which hopefully will make you want to come back for a longer, independent visit.

vincenzod Sep 27th, 2008 07:24 AM

If you have chance to take lunch, do not miss in Bracciano, VINO E CAMINO, at the feet of the famous Castello Odescalchi.
A must is its "tonnarelli cacio e pepe", oh my God I would be there to enjoy it now! and then, if you like, very good lake fishes.

Vincenzo

tcreath Sep 27th, 2008 08:39 AM

We visited Bracciano on the way from Rome to Umbria a few years ago and enjoyed ourselves. The town itself is pleasant and a nice place to walk around. The lake is pretty and the castle looks neat. I would love to go back and spend more time there.

Tracy

enricomaria Feb 13th, 2009 02:18 AM

Hi Poss, I am from Rome living very near the bracciano area. I would actually visit the ancient Etrusc dead city of Cerveteri and then have lunch at Vino Camino, in the main square of Bracciano, cheap and chic.
Just in case: few minutes driving from Bracciano you will also find the historical museum of the Italian Air Force with lots of airplanes.
Enjoy for me too as I am now living in Shanghai and miss the wonderful campagna!
CIAO

vetralla Feb 13th, 2009 05:41 AM

I've heard that there is a little trattoria Regina, near the Castello in Bracciano that still has its prices in lire...good and inexpensive.
Just about every place you eat in our area has excellent food since they are cooking for the people who live here, not for day trippers . There's lots of info on the area on www.elegantetruria.com