Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Info on Hotel Metropole in Bellagio? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/info-on-hotel-metropole-in-bellagio-465902/)

jaccardi Aug 9th, 2004 02:47 PM

Info on Hotel Metropole in Bellagio?

We have reservations at Hotel Metropole because Hotel Florence was too pricey (310E a night).
Does anyone have an opinion? Also, how many nights would you recommend in Bellagio?
Thanks

3gigs Aug 9th, 2004 04:02 PM

The rate you're quoting for the Hotel Florence seems high. On their website (http://www.bellagio.co.nz/florence/Florence.html) the highest price, a suite, is 250E. We stayed last year in a lakefront double room with terrace overlooking the lake for 180E and it was a great experience. I'd recommend it highly. As for Bellagio, we were there four nights and it wasn't enough. Great atmosphere, restful, beautiful - would have stayed much longer if we could have.

Jean Aug 9th, 2004 08:11 PM

I agree that 310 euros sounds high for the Florence. (We've stayed there; it's our favorite in Bellagio.) Have you asked them to confirm the rate? If the availability quote was for two nights, the rate may be 155 euros x 2 nights = 310 euros.

On our last trip to Bellagio (late October 2003), we had trouble finding a hotel that was still open. At one point, we had reservations at the Metropole, but they ended up deciding to close for the season before our arrival date. We ended up at the Hotel Du Lac in Varenna which we enjoyed very much.

The Metropole has a terrific location. If you fell out the window of a lakeside room, you'd land in the water. But you also have the ferries passing by from early morning to mid-evening. Could be a little noisy.

What's your budget?

Number of nights? I'd say a minimum of two nights, but it really depends on how much you want to do/see in the area. Do some research in guidebooks to see what interests you.

Jean Aug 9th, 2004 08:12 PM

I agree that 310 euros sounds high for the Florence. (We've stayed there; it's our favorite in Bellagio.) Have you asked them to confirm the rate? If the availability quote was for two nights, the rate may be 155 euros x 2 nights = 310 euros.

On our last trip to Bellagio (late October 2003), we had trouble finding a hotel that was still open. At one point, we had reservations at the Metropole, but they ended up deciding to close for the season before our arrival date. We ended up at the Hotel Du Lac in Varenna which we enjoyed very much.

The Metropole has a terrific location. If you fell out the window of a lakeside room, you'd land in the water. But you also have the ferries passing by from early morning to mid-evening. Could be a little noisy.

What's your budget?

Number of nights? I'd say a minimum of two nights, but it really depends on how much you want to do/see in the area. I would need a week, but that's me. Do some research in guidebooks to see what interests you.

Jean Aug 9th, 2004 08:26 PM

I agree that 310 euros sounds high for the Hotel Florence. Have you asked them to confirm the rate? If the availability quote was for two nights, perhaps it was stated as 155 euros x 2 = 310 euros.

The Metropole has a great location. If you fell out the window of a lakeview room, you'd fall in the water. However, the ferries pass in front of the hotel from early morning to mid-evening. Could be noisy.

What's your budget?

Number of nights? I'd say a minimum of two, but it really depends on what you want to see/do in the area. I would need a week, but that's me. Do some research in guidebooks to see what interests you.

Jean Aug 9th, 2004 08:36 PM

Geez. Sorry for the echo.

BTilke Aug 9th, 2004 10:22 PM

Another question mark about that rate. I stayed at the Hotel Florence in May and my lakeview room was 110 euros per night. I rebooked a room for my husband and I in October and chose one of the more expensive rooms--at 195 a night. I didn't see anything listed for 310 a night.