Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Info. on getting digital pictures burned onto CD...??

Apr 11th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with getting their digital pictures (from memory cards) burned onto CDs in Europe? I'm wondering if there are many places that offer this service, and what the approximate costs are? I know most internet cafes won't let you plug in your USB cables, so it seems that option is out. Do photo developing places do it for you? I would appreciate any information anyone has...

Thank you!
~Candyqueen
Apr 11th, 2004, 05:07 PM
ira

Hi candy,

If you do a text search on "CD and photo" you will get several threads that answer your questions.
Apr 11th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ira, but I have already done a few searches and haven't really come up with any good info on costs and availability of getting pictures burned to CD. I was hoping that Fodorites who have done this in Europe (or have any info) would be able to share their experiences. Anyone?
Apr 11th, 2004, 05:45 PM

No one has specifically mentioned 'cost' but I would think it wouldn't be too out of line with what you would pay in your city.
Here are some posts that readily confirm you can go to photo shop and get your pix downloaded to a CD:

Author: susie <threadselect.jsp?screen_name=susie&fid=2>
Date: 04/08/2004, 01:32 pm
On recent trips to Spain, Portugal, Italy, & France, we we able to find photo shops in almost every town that would convert pics on a flashcard to a CD. Most had the kiosks where you could make your own prints but the transfer to CD usually had to be done behind the counter. Turnaround time was based on how busy they were, but usually less than an hour.

Author: hanl <threadselect.jsp?screen_name=hanl&fid=2>
Date: 01/22/2004, 03:00 am
Message: Rather than cybercafés, photo development counters should have the necessary hardware, so you can upload your pics and have them burnt onto a CD.
For example, you could try the FNAC (chain store selling books, music, software, hardware, etc.). I often see people at the photo counter uploading their pictures - I assume that all standard memory formats are supported.
In Paris, there is a FNAC on the Champs Elysées that's open late, and on Sundays. There's another at St Lazare, another on Rue de Rennes, one in Les Halles, one at La Défense...
Another option is Photo Station, a photo development chain with branches all over the place (rue de Rivoli, av de l'Opéra, rue St Lazare, rue Mouffetard, etc.). Of course, there are many other photo places as well that should be able to burn your pics onto CD - these are just the two that sprung to my mind.

Author: Alec <threadselect.jsp?screen_name=Alec&fid=2>
Date: 05/25/2003, 08:56 am
Message: It's not common to find internet cafes equipped with CD-writers or to connect digital cameras. Apart from legal reasons sited by easy group, most places don't like people altering their PC settings, let alone introducing a virus. Some places may make a CD copy for you for a price. Besides, almost any photo shop or developer will transfer digital images onto CD for a few pounds or euro, often while you wait. I have also seen increasing number of self-service machines in both countries which accept almost any memory card and produce prints.
Apr 11th, 2004, 05:57 PM
ira

Hi CQ,

Did you do a search here in the little box that says "search this forum"?

IIRC some of them have prices.
Apr 11th, 2004, 06:09 PM

I have used digital cameras for several years now and never found the need for this service. With the costs of media falling dramatically I find it much more convenient and possibly more cost effective to purchase additional media. I am an avid picture taker and never run out of media space yet. On my lat trip I took 250 pictures (less than usual) and had plenty of media to spare. I like to minimize the amount of time I spend on trips on 'maintenance' the additional outlay is in media is more than repaid by not having to go hunt for a place to copy media nd then being told that it will be ready in about an hour.
Apr 11th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

I have quite a few memory cards, but I will be travelling for just over two and a half months... this is why I am concerned! A girl can take a lot of pictures in two and a half months! I took about 150 pictures on a one week trip to Mexico, so that gives you an idea... I'm just hoping that places that can burn a CD are easy to find, because I don't want to be spending precious sighseeing time searching for a place to get my pics downloaded.
Apr 11th, 2004, 10:48 PM

Candyqueen
If, like me, you're looking for an excuse to buy an iPod, this is it. The regular size iPod (not the mini) has 15Gb of room on it's drive (the top of the line has a 40Gb drive). If you pick up the optional card reader, you can load bunches of pictures on it and still have plenty of room for your favorite tunes-to-travel-by.
Apr 12th, 2004, 05:44 AM

I am no techie, but I've seen comments that 'storage wallets/iPods/etc' do something that alters the image quality/specs that loading to a CD does not..
Anyone have more informed knowledge about that?
Apr 12th, 2004, 05:50 AM
ira

>... I took about 150 pictures on a one week trip to Mexico, ...<

I took 1059 pix in 3 weeks in Italy. I brought 3 128 MB CF cards. Each evening I reviewed my pix and deleted the ones that were definitely not good.

I brought home 850 pix.
Apr 12th, 2004, 06:22 AM

I didn't like the idea of wasting time finding a shop that would do the transfer, and waiting while they did it, so I got an mp3 player with enough drive capacity that I can load all my pictures onto the hard drive when I choose. I think an external burner would also serve, but that is another piece of equipment to haul around. The advantage of an mp3 player or ipod or pc is that it can also carry entertainment for those long flights.

Since I have plenty of memory, I can keep my camera on the resolution and compression settings that give the best pictures. I have not noted any degradation of the pictures during the transfer from memory chip to hard drive, nor from portable hard drive to internal hard drive to cd. I think degradation occurs when you recompress the original file, such as when you crop a picture and save the new one, but is only noticeable if you change the picture many times. I save my original files in one directory, and make copies to edit, so I can always go back to the original.

Incidentally, my experience is that internet cafe's are widely available, but not so widely available as ATMs. Once in Paris we walked for about two hours before finding an internet cafe; it was a pleasant walk, but I would not want to have to spend that much time looking for something when an alternative is so easily available in your hotel room.
Apr 12th, 2004, 08:55 AM

Your best bet is to bring along your own image tank, or your own portable cd burner. I use a burner...here is a link for the one I have:

http://www.apacer.com/apacer_english...tone_cp200.asp

I would NOT use an Ipod. They are notoriously buggy, somewhat fragile, and have batteries that cannot be replaced.

To Travelnut: Your images are not altered when you transfer them to one of these "holding" devices. It just simply copies them.

You should be shooting at the highest, or at least medium-high jpeg level. This will give you a large enough file for cropping...should you desire to do so, and for enlargements. Shooting at the lowest setting, which lets you place several hundred images on a single card (depending, of course, on the size of the card), will only get you small files. These are fine for standard 4x6 prints, and for emailing, but they just break apart should you want to enlarge.

I mention this because if you're going to get a device to transfer your shots to, there's no point in shooting at the lowest setting.

Hope you have a great trip.

http://www.jimtardio.com
Apr 12th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

I was hoping not to have to buy any sort of CD burner or storage device, because I will likely not need something like that upon returning from my trip. Then that just means I have spent a lot of money on something I only need once. Any other suggestions?
Apr 12th, 2004, 11:35 AM

I met two people in Istanbul who were on a several month tour of Europe. They had found places to burn their CDs everwhere and did not seem to think it too difficult.

My plan is to burn CDs and to use my IPOD. That gives me two souces. If the CDs are not too expensive I plan to burn two and give one to my mom who will be traveling with me.

I like my IPOD, but that is just me.
Apr 12th, 2004, 01:28 PM

I was recently in Sorrento and Rome. I had a portable hard drive to store my pictures so I wasn't looking for places to download to a CD - HOWEVER - I did notice several shops in both cities that advertised this service as we walked around. One place even had the price posted - 10euro. I believe that was in Rome.

Good luck!
Apr 12th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Apr 12th, 2004, 04:32 PM

Candyqueen, you said:

"I was hoping not to have to buy any sort of CD burner or storage device, because I will likely not need something like that upon returning from my trip. Then that just means I have spent a lot of money on something I only need once. Any other suggestions?"

I guess it's up to you what your vacation time is worth. You can never re-use the time you spend looking for the places to burn the CDs -- which will probably have to be done during the day when you might rather be doing something else. If you get your own device to use, you can copy the photos at your convenience, like in the evening after you've completed your touring for the day. But, only you know which is more valuable to you, your time or your money. I also use something that I call the "hassle factor" when I decide what something is worth. To me, my time and the hassle factor made purchase of a digital wallet a no-brainer. But, everyone also puts a different value on elimination of the hassle factor.

By the way, Europe covers a lot of area and I suspect the answer may be different depending upon exactly where you are going. Could vary by country and city so maybe you should tell us where you are going to travel.
Apr 12th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

carolldf - I will be in Italy (all major cities and many smaller ones), Interlaken, Lucerne, Geneva, Barcelona, Madrid, San Sebastian, Bordeaux, Paris, Cologne, Brugges, Amsterdam and London. I'm not totally opposed to the idea of getting some sort of portable storage device, but if I can avoid it, I would. I totally understand your "hassle factor" and yes I have thought about this. I am just trying to weigh the pros and cons of buying an expensive device which will only get used during the trip, and not likely afterwards.
Apr 13th, 2004, 09:02 AM

If you purchase a storage device, you'll have it not only for this trip, but for other trips.

Some of the portable hard drives can be had for $100.00, more or less. At 10 euros a pop to have a cd burned, it won't be long until you're saving money. I recommended the Apacer CP200 portable CD burner. It sells for $259.00...but they also sell the CP100 for $159.00. It's basically the same machine without the fancy display screen.
Apr 13th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Jim - I have actually seriously been looking into getting the Apacer Disc Steno CP100, however, being from Canada, I can't find a retailer that sells it locally. I have been looking on ebay, and also some US retailers, I'm just looking for a good deal (after exchange rate, shipping, etc.) Do you know which hard drives sell for $100?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO