Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Info on crowds on Santorini in early May?

Apr 12th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Kerry

My husband and I will be in the Greece in early May. We're thinking about staying on Santorini, maybe in one of the hotels overlooking the caldera. How crowded can we expect these hotels to be in the first or second week of May? If they're going to be a total zoo like later in the summer, we'd rather stay someplace else, or try a different island. Thanks for any advice!

Apr 12th, 2002, 06:55 AM
Sue

My husband and I were there mid-May, and the hotels were not crowded, but not deserted either. It seemed like a wonderful time of year to be there. In the evening, after the daytrippers from the cruise ships departed, the town was especially nice.

Apr 13th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Kerry

Sue,

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that we wouldn't yet hit the summer vacation crowds. Your response also gets me more motivated to finally pick a hotel and make reservations. There are too many from whcih to choose! Any suggestions in that realm?

Apr 13th, 2002, 07:08 AM
Sue

We stayed at Volcano View Villas, right on the caldera; a more spectacular view I cannot imagine! The "villas" are built into the hillside. There is a lovely pool. It's a mile or so from town, but the hotel has a shuttle that runs all day long. Judging from other hotels we stayed in in Greece, islands, etc., I'd say it is "upper middle" in terms of luxury! I'd stay there again. it has a website; you could check it out on google. You'll love Santorini at that time of year; I don't think I'd want to be there in mid-July, but some people, of course, thrive on the hustle and bustle of the crowds!

Apr 14th, 2002, 04:02 AM
Sera

OK... What about the 1st week in June on Santorini? Do the crowds swarm in on June 1??? ...or is it not TOO crowded in July. Heat doesn't bother us, ... but we would rather skd our trip when it is not extremely crowded, but still warm enough to swim. We are trying to choose between Santorini and Zakynthos.

Sera

Apr 14th, 2002, 04:26 AM
bobbie

We were in Santorini two years ago in early June and we never got the feeling that the town was overrun with tourists. I think that begins a bit later. We stayed at Hotel Loucas, overlooking the caldera and would highly recommend it. The rooms were clean with maginificent views and the breakfast was varied and delicious, it's where I feel in love with Greek yogurt. The staff was pleasant and ver helpful. I would make my reservation in advance although others are willing to wing it. One additional consideration: the Hotel sent someone to pick us up at the airport which was especially helpful since there didn't seem to a taxi stand as we are used to her in the States. Have a wonderful trip! Any room in your suitcase?

Apr 14th, 2002, 05:07 AM
Another Sue

I haved stayed in Santorini twice at the end of June and the beginning of July. It is not crowed. We spent a day at the black beach and they may have been 8 other people there. the towns were fine to stroll around in and we never had to wait for a table at a restaurant. We stayed in Oia at the Esperas once and once at the Katiates. Both are wonderful and highly recommended. Go, it is fabulous.

Apr 14th, 2002, 05:43 AM
kosmas arvanitis

Dear Kerry,
I believe that since I own a hotel in Santorini I am the one that you give you the best answer. For someone that wants to enjoy the island the best months are May, maybe June and September. For me the best are May and September because the weather is warm and you can enjoy the sea and it is not crowded so you can enjoy the island. If this is your first time in Santorini stick to that because you will see something that you have never seen before and me although I am Greek have never found anywhere else in Greece and that is why I built a hotel here. This island has a personality that takes your breath.

Apr 15th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Kerry

Great responses, all! I will look forward to the wonderful views and lack of Disneyland-type crowds. With the bevy of information out there on the various hotels, some personal tips are helpful. Thanks - I'll be sure to report on my experiences when we return!

Apr 15th, 2002, 07:40 AM
angela

Thanks for the discussion on crowds which were my main preoccupation with going to Santorini - we will be travelling first week of June. Have decided it is for us and excited about going.

Apr 15th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Melanie

I had my honeymoon in Greece last year during the first two weeks of June. The weather was great - I actually needed a jacket out at nights. I think Athens got hot during the time, but we thought the weather was relatively cool. The water actually seemed very cold. Beautiful - but noone stayed in for too long. You mostly saw people in the water up to their knees.

We stayed in Oia - Esperas Villas and would highly recommend them. Oia is more layed back and less touristy (albeit hotels are more expensive) that in the main town.