Reload this Page >

Info Needed re Packing Large Amount of Chocolate in Checked Airline Baggage

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 07:21 PM
Betsy

My friend, Jane will be travelling internationally soon. She is a food professional who will be taking about 20 pounds of chocolate in her checked bag. If she spreads the chocolate out a bit and secures her bag with plastic ties, will she be able to carry the chocolate without the risk of having her bag blown apart by the inspectors because the density of the chocolate is said to resemble explosives?<BR><BR>We've searched her airline site, but it hasn't been updated to reflect the new regulations. Also, it's not really an individual airline issue is it? A check of the FAA site doesn't mention chocolate either.<BR><BR>Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 07:40 PM
Marla

Just phone the airline for a definitive answer.<BR><BR>Do you really think anyone here has specific experience with this?

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 08:28 PM
Huh

Why wouldn't she simply ship the chocolate ahead?

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 09:09 PM
xx

If the TSA doesn't take it out and blow it up, the baggage handlers wil probably steal it. Better to ship it.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 10:08 PM
buzzee

Dear Betsy:<BR><BR>I have flown with two different folks who both purchased very large amounts of chocolate, one in Paris, the other in London. They both took their chocolate on as Carry On. Of course one flew First and those passengers are allowed more carry-on luggage than just the normal folks. She should really consider contacting others in her industry to find out how they deal with the situation. If it is only raw product she requires why can't she purchase it where she is going? That would save the hassle of lugging it around. <BR><BR>I hope she appreciates what a kind friend you are to help her.<BR><BR>I fly to the UK quite a bit. Let me know if she is flying iwth semi-sweet dark chocolate and needs a quality control assistant!<BR><BR>Buzzee

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 09:42 AM
Jean

The TSA recently advised (a week or two ago) that food should not be packed in checked luggage. This isn't a &quot;law,&quot; but the luggage will probably be selected for a thorough hand-check. The chocolate probably wouldn't be confiscated, but if the packaging is at all suspicious it will be opened and examined. <BR><BR>In this new travel environment, why risk all this trouble over 20 lbs. of chocolate? It's hard to believe she couldn't buy the chocolate wherever she's going.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Faina

Betsy, when I travelled after September 11 I had a specific question. I sent an e-mail to the airline and got an answer the next day! Try to e-mail - hopefully they will reply.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Cuckoo

Chocolate needs to be kept at a certain temperature. If its too cold it gets that unsightly white color on the surface. And of course, it will melt if too warm. I would think that anyone in the industry would know the procedure for shipping temperature-sensitive food products.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Kay

definitely ship it!

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 01:29 PM
gb

We have tried to bring chocolate home. It does not travel well. If is the summer, it is exposed to a variety of temperature and will melt at some point. If it is carry-on, it will definitely melt. You might have a little more luck in the winter months. I would avoid it, or arrange to have the store ship it in a special container. I think inspection is the least of the problems. You can always tell them that you have chocolate.