Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Info needed on San Moise Hotel in Venice or Hotel Virgilio inRome

Info needed on San Moise Hotel in Venice or Hotel Virgilio inRome

Mar 25th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Info needed on San Moise Hotel in Venice or Hotel Virgilio inRome

My wife and I are going to be in Venice on May 14-17 and have book at San Moise, wondering if anyone has had experience staying here or at the Hotel Virgilio in Rome. Any information about these two properties would be greatly appreciated. Thanks In Advance
Mar 27th, 2005, 08:22 AM

Okay, let me tell you about my experience at San Moise, let's see, on March 16th. I was to stay here one night, and I was looking forward to it-it IS just off the main luxury shopping thoroughfare, the Viale XXII Marzo-with all the luxury designer boutiques, AMEX office, good restaurants-it is just over a main gondola station-over the Campo San Moise bridge-you'll see the flagship Gucci store on your left, and then you take the first right onto a rather long narrow calle, you go down to the end, turn right again, and the San Moise is perched right on the edge of the canal. It has a rather lovely outdoor garden area that I saw.

When I went inside, the person at the desk didn't have the reservation, and knew nothing, but he was new. The manager then came in a few minutes later, and immediately informed me that there was something wrong with the rooms on the first floor-the plumbing or something-and that rather than have a shared bathroom he was sending me to their "close-by" sister hotel, the Hotel Anticon (or something like that-a 3 star, but nothing on tripadvisor about it when I looked it up after I got back).

I don't LIKE coming to a hotel and being informed that I must go to another-in fact, I'm pretty sure I've never had that happen before. A porter picked up the bags, and we walked quite a ways out of the way to this Hotel which is located very near the Kette Hotel (a nice hotel!) and the Piazza Teatro La Fenice-except that I didn't want to be there-and so I was furious.

This "sister" hotel (supposedly 3 star, but clearly not) did not have an elevator, and the room was on the third floor. The first room I was given was stultifying, and so I immediately went down and asked for another. They then gave me a quite nice Venetian styled room that was bigger-(red brocade fabric walls-small Murano chandeliers) with a brand new large bathroom.

The end result? I was not happy, and did not like this second hotel, however it was just for one night.

For the record, I was satisfied with the first place I stayed-which was a small junior suite in a locanda, with kitchen, (not used, but nice to have!) that looked out on a small canal. Although I did not like the modern and indifferent room decor here, it was ideally located in an ancient small campo near the Quirini Stampalia (EXQUISITE 15th cent. palazzo art gallery/musical/opera performance space/cafe/-HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to visit-very local spot, very few tourists) at Campo Santa Maria Formosa near San Zaccaria and Rialto.

Moreover, I did not care for how the San Moise handled this situation, and I'm reasonably sure what they told me was not the truth-they had probably rented my room at a higher rate-so they wanted to move me out to their other, lesser property.

My advice would be, if they try to do this to you-don't let them-stand your ground, and make them give you another, upgraded room, if necessary. But I don't want to negatively color your opinion of the hotel before you get there-I do want you to be forewarned that this could happen to you. I'm sure you know that the reviews of the San Moise are uniformly positive-and it's in a great location-not 2 min., if that, to San Marco, and the Vaporetto stop on Calle Vallaresso, where lines 1 and 81 will take you the length of the Grand Canal out to the Lido and beyond. I'm quite sure if you don't get jerked around, you'll have a very pleasant stay here.
Mar 27th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the response, I will e-mail the hotel and let them know this will not be exceptable

Search this Thread