Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Info Needed on Austria Lakes area and Bavaria

Mar 12th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

I posted something about the Austria lake area already but wanted to see if I could get some more specific info. So thanks to all those that have replied already!

Hubby and I have about 4-6 nights/3-5 full days to play around with when we visit the Lake Wolfgangsee/Halstatt and Bavaria areas in mid-September. We would like one of the day trips to be to Salzburg. We are open to renting a car while we are in this area as it seems much easier to get around with a car. We will most likely pick the car up in Vienna and drop it in Bavaria or Munich (we are flying out of Munich).

OK...my questions are:

1) What is the best place to stay in the Austria lakes area that is the easiest with a car and is situated around any day trips that we will be doing in the area? We are not going to be driving everyday necessarily...would like to do some biking, hiking, etc also.

2) Are there any villas that are nice to be rented in the lakes area or is it best to stick with a hotel?

3) What are some of the day/half day trips around the lakes area besides Salzburg?

4) Bavaria....worth overnighting for or just drive through on our way to Munich? Can much be seen just driving through or best to stay? Should we do 1 or 2 nights? What is the best city to stay in where there is easy access to the sites and to Munich?

Sorry for the many questions. The Lakes/Bavaria area is very gray to me and there are not many good books to read about it. I have been doing research online but even that has not been too enlightening. Thank You!!
Mar 12th, 2010, 07:10 PM

We stayed in a lovely apartment in St Gilgen for 6 nights a few years ago and loved it (http://www.birkenstrand.at/fewo_eng.htm )! Some of our day trips included:
(1)Salzburg:
(2)A day visiting Halstatt, Dachstein Ice Caves and salt mines at Bad Aussee;
(3) A day trip to Berchtesgaden (both Eagles Nest and around the Konigsee
(4) Several days to a variety of destinations in and around the lakes - walking or by car.
I personally think this is one of the most beautiful areas in the world and would go back in a flash.

I cannot comment about whether to overnight in Bavaria or travel through en-route to Munich - we spent a further 6 nights in Garmisch-Partenkirchen and found plenty to amuse ourselves with there as well. But if I had to choose - St Gilgen would be my choice.
Mar 12th, 2010, 09:24 PM

While it may be worth it to you, you will pay a hefty drop charge if you pick up your car in one country and drop it off in another.

1) For a base, I'd stay in St. Gilgen. It's small and easy to get into and out of with a car. Not so much traffic as you will encounter in Salzburg IMO.

3) Hallstatt, Bad Ischl, and St. Wolfgang by paddlewheel steamboat then the steam locomotive up to Schaftberg Mtn., especially if the weather is nice. From Schaftberg, you can see several of the surrounding lakes and mountain peaks.

4) Bavaria is a beautiful part of Germany so it's definitely worth stopping. I agree that Berchtesgaden and Koenigssee would make a good place to stay for a couple of days, but you might also look at Mittenwald or Garmisch Partenkirchen.
Mar 13th, 2010, 05:40 AM

If you wish to hike, the areas around B'gaden are hiking heaven. We generally stay in either Ramsau, the Obersalzburg or the back area of the Konigsee. Staying in the outlying areas generally gets you a larger room for less money and it's a great way to connect with people.

From this area, it's a great day trip to Salzburg, B'gaden town, the Konigsee, and many other areas.
Mar 13th, 2010, 09:16 AM
ira

Hi enel,

>We will most likely pick the car up in Vienna and drop it in Bavaria or Munich.....<

FYI, Bavaria is a region, Munich is a city.

You will pay a drop off fee if you pick up in Vienna and drop off in Munich.

You can drop off in Salzburg and take the train to Munich. See www.bahn.de for schedules.

We liked our stays in both Hallstatt and Salzburg. See my trip report:
Ira Visits Europe – May, 2007 (Salzburg, Fuessen, Bodensee, Burgundy, Alsace)
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=35014078

Enjoy your visit.

Mar 13th, 2010, 09:36 AM

I always thought Bavaria was a Republic (Freistaat) with a constitution and a national anthem?
With Munich as its capital city. But who knows, it may only be a region..