Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Info for visitors to London Sept 22nd-23rd

Sep 4th, 2001, 07:25 AM
Andy

Hi there. On Saturday and Sunday 22/23rd September an event has been arranged called "Open House". It is an annual event when some of London's buildings which are usually closed to the public are opened for visitors. Emphasis is on buildings with unusual architecture/interest. There is a website detailing the buildings concerned at http://www.londonopenhouse.org/ . The is no charge for admissions but some might only be open for short periods of time and there may be queues. Buildings include Broadcasting House, The Royal Albert Hall, London School of Economics and Marble Arch.

If anyone needs more information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Have a good visit!

Regards, Andy.

Sep 4th, 2001, 07:05 PM
cls

Andy, Thanks for the info....

Sep 5th, 2001, 12:22 AM
Andy

Further to my post yesterday, I have looked at the site for the Open House and it does not give you too much info regarding the buildings concerned. You can do a search and but it will show basic details. I have managed to get several copies of the booklet that was given out with last night's newspaper, The Standard, which gives lots of info and maps.

If anyone would like a copy I will gladly send you one. Please e-mail me either your home address or the address of your hotel in London and I will send you one (If in the US please remember that it will take a few days to reach you). Please note that I have only 6 copies of this so first come first served.

Once again, have a great trip!

Regards, Andy.

Sep 5th, 2001, 05:52 PM
Nova

Hi Andy,
How I WISH I could be in London for the Open House. If I was able to be there I would definitely take you up on your booklet offer.

I never realized that there is an "inside" to Marble Arch. I thought it was just a big solid arch carved out of marble! I wonder what's in there?

If anyone gets to go inside any of the included buildings, especially Marble Arch during that weekend, I would really appreciate seeing a "trip report" on it.

Nova

Sep 6th, 2001, 01:55 AM
topppp

topping

Sep 8th, 2001, 08:05 AM
Web Site

Came across a web site about the open house:

www.londonopenhouse.org

Sep 8th, 2001, 02:11 PM
Daphne

I think that one of the London newspapers prints a list of what buildings will be open and the times a few days before Sept 22. We went in '99 after seeing as article on the front page [had no schedule]. Stood in two long lines, one for the Treasury and office of the Chanceller of the Exchequer and one for the Foreign Office building [muraled staircase and Indian themed huge court worth the wait]. You can see the Albert Hall most days on one of its tours so you might go for the places that aren't usually open to the public.