Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Info for Edinburgh visit (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/info-for-edinburgh-visit-1418111/)

glutenfreetraveler Jun 20th, 2017 08:30 AM

Info for Edinburgh visit

We are visiting Scotland for the first time in July. We are staying in Edinburgh the entire time and have various day trips planned to see more of the country. I have some questions that I wasn't able to find through searching this forum, though I assume I'm not searching properly. I keep getting links outside this website.

We fly into Edinburgh from JFK/NYC and need to get local money at the airport. Is there an ATM near wherever we exit to get in the cab line? Do local cabs accept credit cards (MC) for payment? Should we consider taking the tram from the airport to Grassmarket area (which is 2 minute walk to our apt. rental)? If so, how and where do we pay for tram tix?

I understand that to ride Lothian Buses, we need exact change and on First buses, drivers give change. Where can we buy day bus passes (if available)? The Lonely Planet Edinburgh guide book mentions the Ridacard (available from travelshops) that gives unlimited travel for one week. Where are travelshops found, and what modes of transport can this card be used on? The book doesn't state anything re: that important info.

Are cabs easy to find in Old Town at night if we want to get to home base quickly after dinner, instead of dealing with a bus or walking? Are there certain types of cabs to look for - like in London (black cabs) and NYC (yellow cabs) to ensure you're hiring an actual cab?

Does anyone know if any pubs there happen to offer a gluten-free beer? I don't care for beer much, but will have one if available just to try something new. The only gf beer I like is Green's (from Belgium) so I'd love to be able to try something local if available.

We are having Afternoon Tea at the Signet Library/Colonnades and a b-day dinner at Number One during our trip. Is it feasible for my husband to wear dress slacks/shoes and button down shirt with no tie to both places? He is not packing a suit and would prefer to skip the tie if he can get away with it.

Lastly, does anyone know if we can buy a laminated map of Edinburgh at the airport or elsewhere? They are out of stock on Amazon, and have been for months, so they start at $96 and go to over $200 each!

That's about all I can think of for now. Thanks for any tips, tricks and advice in advance!

janisj Jun 20th, 2017 08:44 AM

>>We fly into Edinburgh from JFK/NYC and need to get local money at the airport. Is there an ATM near wherever we exit to get in the cab line? <<

Yes

>>Are cabs easy to find in Old Town at night <<

Yes

>>Are there certain types of cabs to look for - like in London (black cabs)<<

Exactly the same as in London

>>Is it feasible for my husband to wear dress slacks/shoes and button down shirt with no tie to both places?<<

Yes

>>Lastly, does anyone know if we can buy a laminated map of Edinburgh at the airport or elsewhere?<<

The big book shops all have them but so do many if not most souvenir shops.

Have no idea re gluten free beer - just ask in the pub -- they will know if they do.

I'm not an expert on the bus passes in Edinburgh since I mostly either walk, take the tram, cabs or an occasional bus. There is a great tourist information office in Waverly center and they will know all about the buses/passes/etc (and maybe about the beer ;) )

janisj Jun 20th, 2017 09:03 AM

I was curious so just googled

one of many links . . . http://glutenfreeedinburgh.com/shop/...eer-edinburgh/

sofarsogood Jun 20th, 2017 09:36 AM

answers to your bus questions are here

https://lothianbuses.co.uk/tickets/ticket-options

buy day bus tickets from the bus driver

mirai Jun 20th, 2017 01:48 PM

>>how and where do we pay for tram tix?<<

We did exactly this in late May. Once you exit the airport and walk past the "EDINBURGH" sculpture/giant sign, you will see the tram terminal just ahead - no more than a 3 minute walk (Google says 9 minutes but that was not our experience).

You need the tram that terminates at York Place. A one-way trip per person is £5.50. Pay for your ticket at the dispensing machine (cash or credit card) and hop on for a 30-minute ride to the York Place stop (final stop of the line I believe).

You will alight at Princes Street, and from there, walk 10-11 minutes south, then east, to Grassmarket.

Here is the route on Edinburgh Tram's journey planner:
http://edinburghtrams.com/plan-a-jou...&action=search

We found the tram on time, clean, and spacious.

glutenfreetraveler Jun 20th, 2017 02:46 PM

Thanks to everyone above! Can't believe I forgot to look up beer info on GFEdinburgh's blog! That's where I got most of my gf dining and shopping info...very helpful site, along with the gfcupatea blog ;)

Glad to know how to take the tram to apt....if we're too jet lagged, we'll take a black cab from the airport. I wasn't thinking about how tired we'll likely be on arrival from the states. Thanks for the journey planner link - I meant to ask if there was such a thing for getting around there!

We are so excited to see (some of) Scotland for the first time. Cheers!

janisj Jun 20th, 2017 05:07 PM

>>You will alight at Princes Street, and from there, walk 10-11 minutes south, then east, to Grassmarket.<<

>>Glad to know how to take the tram to apt….i<<

I LOVE the tram but it really isn't great for getting to Grassmarket. That will be one long and <B>steep</B> slog up to Old town. Just catch a cab at EDI. I take the tram often in from the airport, but not if I'm staying up on the Royal Mile/Grassmarket area

Lexma90 Jun 21st, 2017 09:10 AM

And just as an FYI, many (if not all) of the pubs also offer (hard) cider, which is gluten free.

janisj Jun 21st, 2017 11:39 AM

>> pubs also offer (hard) cider, which is gluten free.<< . . . and if you go this route -- just order 'cider' (no 'hard'). Cider in the UK IS hard.

Christina Jun 22nd, 2017 05:14 AM

I like having a map before I go, also. The issue is that Streetwise maps has gone out of business, did you know that? So no current stock. I like them best for convenience. I have seen odd thigns for sale on Amazon, also, where something rare or used is on sale for hundreds of dollars, a price that no one would ever pay. And always a figure with an exact number of cents that are odd. I never can figure out what is going on with those listings. I'm gurading my stash of Streetwise maps, I must have at least 6.

However, if you want one in advance, Insight Fleximaps are laminated, also, and you can buy one of those on Amazon for less than $10. Just type Insight Fleximap Edinburgh in the search box or something.

glutenfreetraveler Jun 22nd, 2017 02:17 PM

Yes - we are going to have to cab it to the apt. for early bag drop (thank goodness our homeaway rental allows this).

I do love a hard cider (or cider there) much more so than any beer ;)

Had no idea that Streetwise maps shut down, but that explains why they haven't had Edinburgh maps (for less than $96 for used item!) in six months. Our Lonely Planet book came with a small map which seems useful, but I prefer maps that can't tear or be ruined in the rain. We'll just look for one over there as the insight Edinburgh maps are showing as resold items and even though the prices are decent, the delivery time is too long. Good to know of this brand for other trips though - so thanks!