Just when I thought I understood Oyster/Travelcard

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I intend to purchase two 7 day Travelcards at Victoria Station to take advantage of the 2 for 1 offers. I understood that the Travelcards issued at the train station are paper, and so are the 2 for 1 vouchers. Then I ran across this advice "Travelcards can be loaded onto Oyster cards and work perfectly well for travel but are useless for the 2 for 1 promotion."
So my question is, can I ask that the Travelcard be loaded onto an oyster card at the train station so we're not dealing with flimsy Travelcards along with paper vouchers all week?
Thanks.
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 07:18 AM

NO only paper cards work. Figure out if the 2 for 1 offers are worth it to you. There are seldom any that I want. Obviously you are not reading the article correctly . It clearly states travelcards loaded on an Oyster are not good for the 2 for 1 promotions!
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

OK. I must have misunderstood. Thanks.
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 09:04 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
3Doxens: Avalon's answer is correct for what you asked -- but if you give more details, the answer might be different.

For instance . . . How are you getting to Victoria station? By <i>any</i> chance are you flying in/out of Gatwick? If so, you don't need to deal w/ a paper travelcard. If you take the Southern Train (not Gatwick Express) to Victoria, your R-T ticket is all you'd need for the 2-for-1 deals, and then you'd be able to use Oysters for transport in London.

So tell us more about your itinerary
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

We plan on taking the tube from Heathrow to our hotel and then walking to the train station to purchase the 7 day Travelcard. We return to Heathrow a week later by private car hire.

I've since found Londontoolkit.com and that is very helpful explaining both Oyster and Travelcard.